American Sign Language...foreign language for homeschoolers

  • mamaof402382
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2009
      I am hopeful that this post will clarify the many questions which have come my way over the past few weeks.
      Yes, I will offer ASL instruction for homeschoolers. The first 6 week session of classes will begin Wed. Sept. 16th from 3-4pm at 90 Dundee Drive in Bridgewater. Slots will be held on a first come/first serve basis.
      Cost for this class is $5.00 per week per student and those who are age 7 and up may register. Yes,……parents may enroll for the same cost per week.
      As a courtesy to Shannon's family we have a "shoes off" policy. The fall and winter months can be quite messy therefore removing our shoes will be greatly appreciated. This ASL program has been running with great success for 10+ yearsJ. The info below provides a brief description of the ASL program. If you would like to enroll your child please e mail me ASAP as class space is limited.
      ASL is a visual/gestural language which cannot be written down and is in no way like English. ASL literacy means and understanding of both the language and the culture. Therefore, in addition to ASL( language) students will learn about Deaf folklore, Deaf history, Deaf personality traits and social norms, Deaf humor, Deaf poetry, Deaf art etc… Those attending will learn the difference between signing systems and ASL ( Did you know that there are 22 signing systems AND ASL, the only true manual LANGUAGE…. gulp)!!!! Students will gain an understanding of the diverseness of manual language users as they prepare to engage in conversational sign.
      Enjoy the remainder of the summer.
      Best,
      Marianne