Re: [ploticus] field names with spaces / commas?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2004
      On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, dagoldman wrote:

      > I want to automatically generate bar charts with differing
      > values for NRECORDS and NFIELDS. They'll look something like
      > http://ploticus.sourceforge.net/gallery/students.htm
      >
      > The proc getdata documentation for fieldnameheader and
      > fieldnames clearly says field names cannot include spaces
      > or commas. The documentation for fieldnamerows seems to say
      > the same, and the fieldnamerows example has no spaces.

      > Question 1: Is there some way to allow spaces and commas
      > in field names? If no way to allow spaces and commas, is
      > this something that could be added?

      There's currently no way to embed a space or comma in field names.. they
      are like varnames. However, it should be easy to allow some way to encode
      spaces and commas.. I'll try to implement this for the next release.

      If you compiled from source code I'd be glad to get something to you that
      you could use before the next release comes out.. if so, let me know.

      > Question 2: Is the method in students.htm the only general method
      > to produce the type of output illustated by the students.htm
      > example, or are there alternate methods? I should probably
      > be overjoyed that it works at all! I'm just exploring options...

      The tricky thing about students.htm is that it produces bar clusters with
      the number of bars per cluster driven by the number of data fields. Any
      approach that does this is going to have to check the # of data fields and
      iterate over them, using #proc bars cluster attribute.. I can't see any
      other way to do the same thing.

      Steve