field names with spaces / commas?

  • dagoldman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2004
      I want to automatically generate bar charts with differing
      values for NRECORDS and NFIELDS. They'll look something like
      http://ploticus.sourceforge.net/gallery/students.htm

      The proc getdata documentation for fieldnameheader and
      fieldnames clearly says field names cannot include spaces
      or commas. The documentation for fieldnamerows seems to say
      the same, and the fieldnamerows example has no spaces.

      Question 1: Is there some way to allow spaces and commas
      in field names? If no way to allow spaces and commas, is
      this something that could be added?

      I don't have any example scripts...

      Question 2: Is the method in students.htm the only general method
      to produce the type of output illustated by the students.htm
      example, or are there alternate methods? I should probably
      be overjoyed that it works at all! I'm just exploring options...

      Thanks,
      Daniel Goldman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 26, 2004
        On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, dagoldman wrote:

        > I want to automatically generate bar charts with differing
        > values for NRECORDS and NFIELDS. They'll look something like
        > http://ploticus.sourceforge.net/gallery/students.htm
        >
        > The proc getdata documentation for fieldnameheader and
        > fieldnames clearly says field names cannot include spaces
        > or commas. The documentation for fieldnamerows seems to say
        > the same, and the fieldnamerows example has no spaces.

        > Question 1: Is there some way to allow spaces and commas
        > in field names? If no way to allow spaces and commas, is
        > this something that could be added?

        There's currently no way to embed a space or comma in field names.. they
        are like varnames. However, it should be easy to allow some way to encode
        spaces and commas.. I'll try to implement this for the next release.

        If you compiled from source code I'd be glad to get something to you that
        you could use before the next release comes out.. if so, let me know.

        > Question 2: Is the method in students.htm the only general method
        > to produce the type of output illustated by the students.htm
        > example, or are there alternate methods? I should probably
        > be overjoyed that it works at all! I'm just exploring options...

        The tricky thing about students.htm is that it produces bar clusters with
        the number of bars per cluster driven by the number of data fields. Any
        approach that does this is going to have to check the # of data fields and
        iterate over them, using #proc bars cluster attribute.. I can't see any
        other way to do the same thing.

        Steve