Printing Ploticus

  • Josh Burley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2004
      Hi all,
      I'm working on setting up dynamic graphs for a client. These are
      generated monthly and look great on the web. However, they want to
      print these pages as PDF's... no problem, htmldoc converted it to PDF
      great. But, when it's being printed out for a board meeting the
      quality isn't up to what they want (the pie chart shows the lower
      DPI).... so, my question and problem is twofold:

      * Is it possible to raise the DPI of the generated images?

      We weren't able to figure out how to do the above, so we started
      outputting the ploticus chart as an EPS.... but, we needed to include
      that EPS as an image in a PDF or PS (into a PS, then ran through
      ps2pdf to get the final PDF). Trying this method we also ran into
      problems. Every app we've tried fails while trying to import the EPS
      from ploticus. Some methods we've tried:

      * html2ps, with an img src being an EPS. According to the html2ps
      site, this should work fine. It doesn't for us with ploticus generated
      eps files.

      * PostScript::Simple, this includes an "importeps" method for
      importing EPS files. Again, this did not work with ploticus generated
      EPS files.

      * Tried the above (and others) after running the Ploticus EPS through
      eps2eps to clean it up... still no luck.

      Any ideas? Has anyone tried to get high-quality charts out of ploticus
      like this?
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 2004
        Ploticus generates standards-conformant EPS files to the best of my
        knowledge. The only thing that has changed within the past year or two is
        that ploticus EPS files no longer contain a "showpage" statement at the
        end (the spec allows showpage but in real world importing applications
        were stumbling over it).

        I'm not a user of any of the utilities you mentioned.. but it might be
        helpful if you could indicate the ploticus version you're using, and
        specifics about what the various symptoms were, beyond "didn't work".. any
        error messages? what the result looked like, etc.

        There's a page on the ploticus web site that discusses
        "Presentation-quality graphs".. maybe something there would be useful.

        ANother possibility is SVG, which is a vector format.

        Steve