Re: printing a chart

  • hdrolon
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2004
      Many thanks for your help :)

      Just another question to get started, when you say that I have
      to "play a bit around with the options", could you give me a simple
      example showing what I need to define ? (I suppose it's with the proc
      areadef options ?)

      Hervé

      --- In ploticus@yahoogroups.com, "genscher22" <genscher22@g...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > yes it is possible.
      > You have to play a bit around with the options.
      > The best output format will be eps/PS.
      >
      > Greetings

    • Jessika Feustel
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29, 2004
        Did you tried to use one of the source-samples of the ploticus Hompage?
        Which of them fit best to you?

        Greetings
        Just another question to get started, when you say that I have
        to "play a bit around with the options", could you give me a simple
        example showing what I need to define ? (I suppose it's with the proc
        areadef options ?)

        Hervé

        --- In ploticus@yahoogroups.com, "genscher22" <genscher22@g...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > yes it is possible.
        > You have to play a bit around with the options.
        > The best output format will be eps/PS.
        >
        > Greetings

      • hdrolon
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29, 2004
          --- In ploticus@yahoogroups.com, "Jessika Feustel" <genscher22@g...>
          wrote:
          > Did you tried to use one of the source-samples of the ploticus
          Hompage?
          > Which of them fit best to you?

          When looking at the pltestsuite, the kmslide sample (Kaplan-Meier
          Example) seems to be quite the same as what I want to do :
          - I define the X-axis range (min,max = 0, 60 in this sample)
          - I define the increment (6 in this sample)
          - I define the Y-axis range (min,max = 0, 1 in this sample)
          - I define the increment (0.1 in this sample)

          Now let's say that I want the X-axis to be (incr 6) = 2 cm on the
          paper and the Y-axis to be = (incr 0.1) = 5 cm on the paper. How can
          I do this ??? (let's say that I use eps/ps and that this format knows
          how to send these units to the printer) ...

          Hervé
        • Jessika Feustel
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29, 2004
            I think that you have to add an extra row into your data where your values are scaled so far until the ploted values match your size on the paper. There is the problem.

            If you have a printer with 600 dpi you get 600 dots per inch. That means, 600 pixel of your plot needs 1 inch.
            But what about a printer with 300 dpi? Sorry, that I don't mention it earlier...

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29, 2004
              I also looked at this problem and what I could see from other
              languages / API is that whatever the printer, one pixel on a graph
              (absolut unit in ploticus terminology ?) = (1 / 72) inch on the
              printer (this is the default value used by most printers). So when
              reading the doc about absolute units, what I understood is that the
              conversion was done implicitly using cm as the unit.
              In Ploticus, When using cm as the unit (instead of inch that is the
              default unit), what does it mean ? Does it mean that the length of an
              increment (e.g. say Y-axis) will have a length of say 0.6 [choosen
              unit], i.e. either 0.6 inch or 0.6 cm according to the choosen unit ?
              If so, what does it mean ? Is it the scale that will be displayed on
              the printer (or that will be tagged on the EPS/PS file or in a png
              image) ?

              About the dpi, this information is usually written in the original
              image metadata (or the original file). For example, when you insert
              an image in a MS Word file and you set its size to 100% (i.e. you
              keep the original size), then if the image has a resolution of 600
              dpi, then it will be (or should be with a good soft) printed to this
              resolution. The choice is not made by the printer but by the
              software. The printer will do the appropriate scaling in order to
              produce the right image at the appropriate scale.

              However, my original question was (to me) quite simple : how to
              convert a displayed axis (in whatever units) to a paper scale (in cm
              units). I'm still thinking it's possible from what I can understand
              from the Ploticus doc. So the question is still : "what are the
              options to do this ?"

              Hervé

              .
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30, 2004
                Herve,

                absolute units are used when you want to draw or position directly on the
                "page", such as when positioning the page title, page annotations, and
                describing where on the page a plotting area will be located. By default,
                absolute units are expressed as inches, but cm can be used (specify -cm on
                the command line, or specify it in a config file or in your script using
                proc settings).

                data units are the units in effect after setting up a plotting area
                (#proc areadef)

                I think you can do what you describe by setting cm as your absolute units,
                then set up an areadef where the dimensions of the plotting area are the
                same as the xrange and yrange, eg.

                #proc areadef
                rectangle: 5 5 15 10
                xrange: 0 10