Two ploticus RFEs

  • jamie.echlin@ubs.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16, 2004
      1. In #proc lineplot, linedetails seem to be ignored if you use fill: colour. I would like to be able to specify a fill and a linetype. I normally find myself having

      #proc lineplot
      xfield: 1
      yfield: 5
      linedetails: width=.5

      for every lineplot that has a fill. These lines help to delineate the different areas and make the graph look crisper somehow.

      2. Filters are ignored when the data is inlined in to the document. I think it would be useful to be able to use them, don't see any particular reason why inlined data should rule them out.

      3. Can i add my name to the request for radar graphs...

      cheers, jamie

      Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

      for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
      should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please

      arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
      of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
      verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
      related financial instruments.
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 17, 2004
        > 1. In #proc lineplot, linedetails seem to be ignored if you use fill:
        > colour. I would like to be able to specify a fill and a linetype. I
        > normally find myself having
        >
        > #proc lineplot
        > xfield: 1
        > yfield: 5
        > linedetails: width=.5
        >
        > for every lineplot that has a fill. These lines help to delineate the
        > different areas and make the graph look crisper somehow.

        The recommended procedure is to invoke #proc lineplot twice, first to do
        the fill, second time to do the line.

        > 2. Filters are ignored when the data is inlined in to the document. I
        > think it would be useful to be able to use them, don't see any
        > particular reason why inlined data should rule them out.

        I trip over this one too. The reason it's this way is that inlined data
        are handled differently (internally) and to allow filtering for this would
        have involved a fair amount of additional code, and the payoff doesn't
        seem that great. One workaround that would allow you to have data
        specified in your script, as well as filter it, might be something like
        this:

        #shell
        echo "
        1 2 3
        4 5 6
        " > /tmp/mydata001
        #endshell

        #proc getdata
        file: /tmp/mydata001
        filter: ....

        > 3. Can i add my name to the request for radar graphs...

        You mean star graphs, or general radial scaling?
      • jamie.echlin@ubs.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 17, 2004
          Thanks for that Steve... comments inline:

          > The recommended procedure is to invoke #proc lineplot twice,
          > first to do
          > the fill, second time to do the line.

          That's what I do, just thought a more elegant solution would be to have linedetails work with fill. I worry about the extra CPU cycles in doubling the # of proc lineplots.

          I see... my quibble would be the hassle in dealing with the extra temp files. The way I've set up my app, (possibly dodgy design), is the plot files are generated from template toolkit (http://www.template-toolkit.org) templates, put in a uniquely named file including the data, then referred to using /cgi-bin/pl... So this far it's made it difficult to use filters, although you can probably do everything with SQL that you can with filters, so not a big deal.

          > > 3. Can i add my name to the request for radar graphs...
          >
          > You mean star graphs, or general radial scaling?

          I think they are called radar graphs - they are like cartesian graphs except they support multiple axes, ie if you want to plot 10 variables. Example: http://www.spss.com/science_papers/images/creating_radar_1.jpg

          If by radial scaling you mean polar co-ordinates? then i'd be interested to see it but would probably never use.