more SVG graphing examples

  • jamie.echlin@ubs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2003
      Just wondered if anyone had seen this:
      http://www.adobe.com/svg/demos/graph.html

      You can dismiss this as marketing pap but it has something that I'd like, which is showing the value when you float over a point. For example choose the line graph then hit auto-populate. I know ploticus can create an image map and you can do popups with some javascript, but i think that's only for bars and scatterplots, I'd like to be able to do it for lineplots. And have the data appear on the SVG as in the example.

      Also off-topic, but if Steve is listening does he have any plans to turn his ploticus talents to directed graphs, something like GraphViz but maybe using the familiar ploticus script files.

      Further wandering off-topic, I've found Grace and Ploticus to be very similar, although Ploticus was much easier to use and create script files for, although of course it has no interactive mode. But are they so similar that one could be retired?

      cheers, jamie

      Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

      for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
      should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please

      arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
      of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
      verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
      related financial instruments.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2003
        Jamie, thanks for the suggestions.. pls see remarks below. -Steve

        On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 jamie.echlin@... wrote:

        > Just wondered if anyone had seen this:
        > http://www.adobe.com/svg/demos/graph.html
        >
        > You can dismiss this as marketing pap but it has something that I'd
        > like, which is showing the value when you float over a point. For
        > example choose the line graph then hit auto-populate. I know ploticus
        > can create an image map and you can do popups with some javascript, but
        > i think that's only for bars and scatterplots, I'd like to be able to do
        > it for lineplots. And have the data appear on the SVG as in the example.

        Having additional annotation appear when the mouse hovers over a graph
        element is certainly a powerful technique, and I've been interested in
        getting this to work for ploticus SVG. I'll spend some time with the code
        behind this example. The challenge thus far has been (for me)
        understanding the SVG code examples and how they work, and incorporating
        the relevant parts into the ploticus SVG driver, which operates on the fly
        and at a fairly low level (lines, text).

        > Also off-topic, but if Steve is listening does he have any plans to turn
        > his ploticus talents to directed graphs, something like GraphViz but
        > maybe using the familiar ploticus script files.

        No plans here, although in the next ploticus version proc annotate
        supports ellipses and arrows. I recently used this to create a simple E-R
        diagram for a database, but this involved hard coding locations and was
        tedious.

        > Further wandering off-topic, I've found Grace and Ploticus to be very
        > similar, although Ploticus was much easier to use and create script
        > files for, although of course it has no interactive mode. But are they
        > so similar that one could be retired?

        Freeware packages never die, they just fade away ;-> I'll try to keep a
        better eye on what they're up to at Grace.