use chron prefab for time-based data

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2011

      Hello Romina, since you're dealing with time-based data (dates) you need to use the chron prefab not the lines prefab.  Also note that the date format must be specified.  I was able to get results using this command:

      pl -prefab chron data=e.plo x=1 y=2 datefmt=yyyy-mm-dd mode=line -gif -o output.gif

      Thanks for the clear and concise problem report!

      Steve

      On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Romina Natalia Tulisi <rtulisi@...> wrote:
      Hi,

      I'm begining to use ploticus for a personal project. I'm using the "lines" prefab because it's the one that suites my needs the most. I can't seem to be able to show dates (in the format of yyyy-mm-dd) in the X axis. Strange values keep appearing instead of dates (like cut-up date values?).

      This is the command line sentence I'm using:

      pl -prefab lines data=e.plo x=1 y=2 pointsym=none -gif -o c:/desarrollo/campus/dctec/ploticus/e.gif -debug echodata=yes

      The data file "e.plo" is attached. So is the gif file.

      Also, for some reason I'm getting a straight line at the 2010 value... I've read the docs and the prefabs, I've also searched the newsgroup but I'm not getting what's wrong :(

      Hopefully you can help me out.

      Thanks for creating ploticus. It's amazing.

      Romina

      --
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      We sighed and fainted on the sofa - Jane Austen "Love & Friendship"

    • Romina Natalia Tulisi
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8, 2011
      Hi Steve!

      Thanks very much for replying and for your explanation! As you've suggested I have been playing around with the chron prefab and managed to get the following image (attached).

      However, I still have some issues and hopefully you can help me out:

      1) I'm trying to set autoyears=yes (so I can mark the years when it changes), but it doesn't show up.

      2) I absolutely need to show error bars (this is one of the main reasons why I've decided for ploticus). I've tried using some random numbers (perhaps that's the mistake), but I can't get them to show inspite the chron prefab documentation mention the err's parameters as being available.

      3) I've also need to use the "pointsym" param that is available in the lines prefab and I saw that you once mentioned that you were going to add support for it in the chron prefab  but I think it's not available. Is there a workaround?

      Again, this is my last command line sentence:

      pl -prefab chron data=e.plo x=1 y=2 y2=3 err=4 datefmt=yyyy-mm-dd
                         xnearest=day xstubdet=size=4 unittype=datetime xinc="21 day"
                          xgrid=yes ygrid=yes mode=line autoyears=years
                          legendfmt=across legtextdet="size=5"
                          title="Tasa de concepción del tambo XX vs valores poblacionales"
                          name="Tambo-XX" name2="Valores-poblacionales"
                          xlbl=Periodos
                          -gif -o e.gif -debug

      Attached is the gif file I'm getting.

      Also attached is the data file (e.plo).

      Thanks so much in advanced!

      Romina

      Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2011
        Hi  Steve,

        I saw that you've answer my third question regarding the pointsym parameter. Would you be able to answer the second and first question I've mentioned in this email below?

        Thanks,
        Romina

        [Attachment(s) from Romina Natalia Tulisi included below]

        2 of 2 File(s)

        --
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Message 4 of 9 , Mar 18, 2011
          Hello Romina, sorry for delay in continuing w/ this.

          1) try xyears=yes  ... xyears is the former attribute name ... there seems to be a glitch with the new name but today I ran your command on your data and xyears=yes worked.

          2) once again the documentation for some reason was incorrect.... error bars have never apparently been implemented for the chron prefab.  I will see if I can add it and send you a new prefab file w/ instructions.

          Thanks for your patience,

          Steve

          Message 5 of 9 , Mar 18, 2011
          • 1 Attachment
          • 23 KB
          Hello again Romina.

          I have created an improved prefab file (chron.pl) which does error bars and data point symbols.  It is available here:  http://ploticus.sourceforge.net/docs/news.html  .... first entry under "Bug fixes applicable to 2.41".

          The gif result is attached.

          I used your command with slight modifications:
          pl -prefab chron data=romina1.dat  x=1 y=2 y2=3 err=4 err2=4 \
            pointsym=default pointsym2=default \
            datefmt=yyyy-mm-dd xnearest=day xstubdet=size=4 unittype=datetime xinc="21 day" xgrid=yes ygrid=yes \
            mode=line autoyears=yes legendfmt=across legtextdet="size=5" \
            title="Tasa de concepción del tambo XX vs valores poblacionales"  \
            name="Tambo-XX" name2="Valores-poblacionales" xlbl=Periodos \
            -gif -o out.gif

          And I used your data also with slight modifications (named romina1.dat):

          2010-06-18      0.55    0.399308224442736       0.010
          2010-07-09      0.55    0.417039446929646       0.020
          2010-07-30      0.5     0.390899241603467       0.030
          2010-08-20      0.5     0.398202247191011       0.010
          2010-09-10      0.48    0.402954545454545       0.020
          2010-10-01      0.55    0.416721672167217       0.030
          2010-10-22      0.51    0.426812033111246       0.020
          2010-11-12      0.47    0.390939932149272       0.020
          2010-12-03      0.4     0.39572864321608        0.010
          2010-12-24      0.45    0.398527865404837       0.030
          2011-01-14      0.47    0.399157894736842       0.020
          2011-02-02      0.39    0.399157894736842       0.030

          Thanks for finding these issues with ploticus.

          Steve

          Message 6 of 9 , Mar 22, 2011
            Hi Steve!

            Thanks for your reply!

            I've tried my line with xyears=yes and yes.. it did work, so I'm going to use this! thanks!

            Romina

            Message 7 of 9 , Mar 22, 2011
              Hi Steve!

              Thanks very much for the new chron.pl file! I haven't been able to test the error bars nor the data point symbols yet but I will during this week. I did replace my chron.pl file with yours and I've found that if I have a some lines such as:

              2011-01-14 0.469387755102041 0.395833333333333
              2011-02-04 0.575949367088608 0.4
              2011-02-25 0.5625 0.400039984006397
              2011-03-18 0.575757575757576

              where there isn't a "y" column defined (because there is no data) i'm getting this error " Error: 'y' is required unless 'tab' is being used.".

              Now, if i use the other chron.pl file (the original one), my graph draws fine (without the bar/line for the date with no value).

              I'm not sure if this makes sense, but if this is the correct behaviour what could I do if there's a date that doesn't have a value?

              Thanks,
              Romina

              [Attachment(s) from Steve Grubb included below]

              1 of 1 File(s)

              --
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                Message 9 of 9 , Apr 3, 2011
                • 1 Attachment
                • 757 Bytes
                Hi Steve,

                I am specifying the y=n parameter. I thought the problem could be related because one of the fields doesn't have a value, but i've specified it at 0 (even though it's wrong), but i'm still getting the same message.

                This is the command line (I'm not using error bars in this example)

                pl -prefab chron data=data.plo x=1 y=2 y2=3 \
                pointsym=default \
                pointsym2=default \
                datefmt=yyyy-mm-dd xnearest=day xstubdet=size=4 unittype=datetime xinc="21 day" xgrid=yes ygrid=yes \
                mode=line \
                autoyears=yes legendfmt=across legtextdet="size=5" title="Tasa de concepción del tambo XX vs valores poblacionales"  \
                name="Tambo-XX" name2="Valores-poblacionales" xlbl=Periodos -gif -o out.gif -debug

                The data.plo is also attached. The error is the one I've mentioned in my previous email.

                Using the other chron.pl file I'm not getting this error (but i don't have errorbars etc that you've recently added).

                Thanks for your help

                Romina