Re: Having problems setting font

  • dbwiddis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 28 1:44 PM
      Hi Steve. Hopping onto a recent thread that seems to be similar to my issue.

      I am trying to install the Mediawiki EasyTimeline extension, which uses ploticus. I'm installing on a remote linux server with only local user rights. I've got everything working but the fonts. Despite my attempts to use ttf fonts, all I'm getting is the default 'ascii' font.

      Installation instructions for the extension direct me to use the FreeSans.ttf file and set GDFONTPATH, which I've done, to no avail.

      The message below indicates I need to compile ploticus with ttf configured, but I do not understand how to do this: the Makefile (2.41) does not mention ttf anywhere. The only mention of fonts appears to be in installing my own GD library -- which looks a bit daunting at the moment, and I'm not sure that's the right way to go.

      How exactly does one configure the Makefile to enable use of the FreeSans.ttf file?

      Dan

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
        Hello Dan,

        grep FreeType2 in the Makefile

        FreeType2 is the package that utilizes the .ttf fonts.

        Steve

        On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM, dbwiddis <widdis@...> wrote:

        Hi Steve. Hopping onto a recent thread that seems to be similar to my issue.

        I am trying to install the Mediawiki EasyTimeline extension, which uses ploticus. I'm installing on a remote linux server with only local user rights. I've got everything working but the fonts. Despite my attempts to use ttf fonts, all I'm getting is the default 'ascii' font.

        Installation instructions for the extension direct me to use the FreeSans.ttf file and set GDFONTPATH, which I've done, to no avail.

        The message below indicates I need to compile ploticus with ttf configured, but I do not understand how to do this: the Makefile (2.41) does not mention ttf anywhere. The only mention of fonts appears to be in installing my own GD library -- which looks a bit daunting at the moment, and I'm not sure that's the right way to go.

        How exactly does one configure the Makefile to enable use of the FreeSans.ttf file?

        Dan

        --- In ploticus@yahoogroups.com, Steve Grubb <stevegrubb@...> wrote:

        > John, ploticus' ability to use truetype fonts has to be configured when
        > ploticus is built... see the Makefile. Did you configure your version for
        > truetype fonts?
        >
        > Steve
        >

        > On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 6:59 PM, johnkorbphoto <johnkorbphoto@...>wrote:
        >

        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I'm running Ploticus in a Linux environment.
        > >
        > > I've installed the "liberation" font set and now I'm trying to use one of
        > > the fonts. The fonts are in the directory:
        > >
        > > /usr/share/fonts/liberation
        > >
        > > For GDFONTPATH:
        > >
        > > set GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts/liberation
        > > export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts/liberation
        > >
        > > and then in my Ploticus script, near the top of the script I have:
        > >
        > > #proc areadef
        > > title: % CPU Utilization
        > > titledetails: size=24 align=C adjust=0.0,0.2 font=LiberationSerif-Regular
        > > rectangle: 1 1 8 4
        > > xscaletype: time hh:mm:ss
        > > xrange: 00:00:00 23:59:59
        > > yrange: 0 100
        > > frame: color=xAFAFAF width=1.0
        > >
        > > Please note that the "titledetails" line may wrap here, but is all on one
        > > line in the script.
        > >
        > > The actual font file name is:
        > >
        > > /usr/share/fonts/liberation/LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf
        > >
        > > When I run my script, the font used is the default, mono-space font, not
        > > the desired font.
        > >
        > > What am I doing wrong?
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > >
        > > John

      • Daniel B. Widdis
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010

          Since posting the below, I’ve learned a bit more and come to a few more dead ends.

          -          Steve’s reply below indicates that ttf ability must be configured when ploticus is built

          -          The man page for fonts at http://ploticus.sourceforge.net/doc/fonts.html says “For more information on building ploticus to use FreeType2, see ./src/FreeType2 and ./src/Makefile.”  However, there is no file FreeType2 in the src directory (current download 2.41 from the sourceforge site).

          -          The Makefile “Setting 2” section seems to be the appropriate place to indicate one’s GD configuration.  I am attempting to use “Option 4” to “use your own GD resource with FreeType2 fonts enabled”.  I have 4 of the 5 required libraries:  lpng, lz, ljpeg, and lfreetype.  I do not have the lgd library, which would require root permission on my server to install.  I could request that it be installed, but….

          -          The download page for the latest GD (http://www.libgd.org/Downloads) has a big red warning at the top that PHP users may not need this.  In fact, our server has php 5.3.2 installed, which includes its own portions of the GD library.

          So in summary, I have PHP with GD version 2.0.34 bundled, but no “lgd” library with which to compile ploticus.  I could compile using local files if I could figure out the right ones to include that would let me avoid using the –lgd option in the Makefile.  Any help here?

          --

          Dan