using ploticus in a real-time gui

  • pacificsymphony3
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2009
      Hi, all,

      I'm interesting in writing a gui to run on linux/unix that will display a graph, which will be updated in real time, hopefully with a fairly fast refresh rate. I'm thinking of doing this using libploticus. It would be cool if the refresh rate could be faster than the persistence of vision, in order to create a smooth animation, but if the refresh rate was only 1/sec or something I could probably live with that.

      Is this a good idea, or is libploticus not really the appropriate tool for this application?

      If it is a reasonable thing to do with libploticus, what would be the most straightforward way to implement this? Repeatedly overwrite a PNG file, and keep refreshing a display of the PNG image in the gui? I'm not really clear on what the -x11 option is designed for -- would that be more appropriate?

      Thanks!

      -Ben Crowell
    • Stephen Grubb
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27, 2009
        Hello Ben,

        Real-time or animated displays are pretty much outside of ploticus' intended scope.

        You might be able to cobble something together that refreshes one or two times per second, by repeatedly generating a png and repeatedly loading it.
        I believe some people have tried doing something like this directly as an X11 graphic (that's what the -x11 option does)... anyone wish to comment?

        Generally, faster refresh rates tend to cause flicker and other undesirable side effects, because pl isn't optimized for smooth refresh.

        If you get something working let us know.. good luck.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13 10:39 AM
          have a look at http://www.thregr.org/~wavexx/software/trend/

          or you might be able to modify
          http://gapcmon.sourceforge.net/

          ( I know this group is for ploticus, but sometimes the most elegant solution is the fastest one )