Fwd: Redraw problem with x11 output in ploticus

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2008
      Hello Steve,

      You may skip this first part of my e-mail because it may make you blush a
      little bit. But I must say I am impressed with Ploticus. I think of myself as
      an old hand in computer graphics and supported GINO-F, GINO-GRAPH and the
      like. These may not be known to you, but they where rather sophisticated
      drawing subroutine packages (for  FORTRAN) since the beginning of the 1970s.
      They still do exist. So I know a little bit of the problems you encounter and
      the efforts you have put in Ploticus.

      But now to the problem I encountered. I refer to the enclosed 'plotmeter'
      script. You will see that it has an eternal loop. Every time I click
      the  'More ...' button in the X11 window, the graph is refreshed. This is
      done because the data in 'testdata' grows over time. About every half second
      a new record is added by a multimeter coupled to the system via USB. The
      result is a more or less 'real time' growing graph.

      This works perfect but for one thing: part of the right side of the drawing
      area is not cleared before the new plot is drawn. As long as the Xaxis stays
      the same between plots this is not much of a problem, but you can see this
      happen when, in a flash, part of the window turns white, with a yellow column
      staying at the right. When the graph grows out of the boundary at the right
      side, ploticus calculates a new Xaxis. Then the new axis is draw over the
      partly still displayed old Xaxis. This can be seen in the enclosed png.
      Somewhere between the old and the new number 800 is the boundary between the
      cleared and the uncleared part. At th right side of this the numbers of
      several 'old' Xaxis are still there to be seen.

      Making a file testdata with:
         7    10
         6    20
      and running 'pl plotmeter' will show the first plot. Then (leaving pl
      runnning) add something to testdata:
         5    100
      (the second number must be greater then the last value showed on the Xaxis to
      force a rescaled Xaxis) and click More ..., will show what I mean.

      This is nott a real showstopper, but I hope that this bugreport will help in
      improving Ploticus. I am of course very willing to provide any information
      you may ask for.

      Some more:
      Running pl on openSUSE 10.3 with KDE 3.5.
      Installed ploticus from the openSUSE Build Service:
      http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mge1512:/tools/openSUSE_10.3

      --
      regards,
      Henk van Velden

    • Stephen Grubb
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2008
        Hello Henk,

        I don't fully understand what you're doing, but did you try adding a

        #proc page