No legends using precompiled pl240 on Solaris 8/10

  • Guy S.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18, 2008
      Hi all -- I'm using ploticus for some stats graphing for our calendar
      system (see https://stats.wisccal.wisc.edu, links at the bottom of the
      page). I noticed recently that the legends for the graphs are not
      showing. After a lot of work looking at various things, it seems that
      it's ploticus on the Solaris platform that's the issue. I've used both
      the pre-compiled binary and new binaries compiled on the host (using
      the Forte cc and both gmake and make) with various selections of
      libraries (Solaris supplied and newly compiled and installed by me).
      Nothing doing -- no legends. Enabling debug shows no errors.
      ploticus gets to the end of the script and actually says executing,
      but no legends:
      <quote>
      [3:06pm nak@comet] ...wisccal/stats/cgi-bin> /opt/wisccal/bin/pl_nak
      students.pl -debug -x11

      Got command line arg(s): -x11
      Device code is x
      Clearing all data sets.
      Version: pl 2.40-Jan'08
      Script file is: students.pl
      Script file successfully opened
      Executing settings
      Executing page
      Executing getdata
      Clearing data set field names.

      Clearing all data sets.
      Setting data set field names to: id group Exam_a Exam_b Exam_c Exam_d
      Creating dataset 1 which has 5 rows and 6 fields.
      (endproc)
      Executing areadef
      areadef: lowerleft: 1,1 upperright: 6,3
      areadef: xrange is 0 to 6. yrange is 0 to 100.
      areadef xaxis...
      areadef yaxis...
      Executing bars
      Executing bars
      Executing bars
      Executing bars
      Executing legend
      Done with page. Bounding box is: 0.00 , 0.00 to 7.00 , 4.00
      </quote>

      I've used my own scripts and scripts from the ploticus web (which is
      what the one above is). Nothing doing.

      But, if I use the precompiled Linux binary on my local kubuntu
      install, the legends *are* part of the image using the same scripts.

      I tried compiling various forms of ploticus with my own libraries for
      libjpeg, libpng, libgd, etc. with very little success in getting the
      compiles to finish without error. Almost all the errors were symbol
      referencing errors like this:

      <quote>
      c pl.o grgd.o devstuff.o proc_annotate.o proc_areadef.o proc_axis.o
      proc_bars.o proc_rect.o proc_breakaxis.o proc_categories.o
      proc_curvefit.o proc_settings.o proc_drawcommands.o proc_getdata.o
      proc_image.o proc_legend.o proc_legendentry.o proc_line.o
      proc_lineplot.o proc_page.o proc_pie.o proc_print.o proc_boxplot.o
      proc_rangesweep.o proc_usedata.o proc_scatterplot.o proc_vector.o
      proc_symbol.o proc_processdata.o proc_tabulate.o proc_venndisk.o
      clickmap.o proc_tree.o proc_catlines.o plhead.o execscriptfile.o
      execline.o lib.o details.o parse.o units.o preliminaries.o
      process_arg.o plvalue_subst.o cats.o fieldnames.o autorange.o
      nearest.o select.o datasets.o color.o plg.o init.o arrow.o mark.o
      block.o pcode.o ps.o svg.o swf.o stub.o winscale.o lineclip.o
      smoothfit.o condex.o dates.o dbinterface.o err.o functions.o
      glroutines.o reslimits.o secondaryops.o shell.o sinterp.o tdhkit.o
      times.o value.o value_subst.o variable.o custom.o x11.o interact.o -L
      /opt/wisccal/lib -lgd -lpng -lz -ljpeg -lfreetype -L/usr/openwin/lib
      -lX11 -lm -o pl
      Undefined first referenced
      symbol in file
      gdImageCreateFromJpeg grgd.o
      gdImageJpeg grgd.o
      ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to pl
      gmake: *** [plgd18] Error 1
      </quote>

      In fact, the only version I can get compiled without error is the
      version that uses the supplied gd code that comes with the ploticus
      source. But that's another issue. What I really want is for the
      legends to work right.

      Any ideas any one?

      MTIA

      Guy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2008
        Hello Guy,

        I run the precompiled solaris on my system (solaris sunos 5.8) and am
        seeing the legends. The precompiled system was built using gcc.
        Also, the code compiles no problem on my solaris system using gcc and
        make. In fact, solaris / gcc is my primary development platform for
        ploticus.

        There has been an issue reported that might be causing the legend problem
        when compiled on non-gcc compilers
        (http://ploticus.sourceforge.net/doc/news.html ....see "Incorrect C coding
        practice). However this doesn't explain to me why the precompiled version
        (which was compiled w/ gcc) doesn't give legends for you. This is the
        first report I've seen of this legend problem. Are you on a particularly
        new or unusual hardware or os platform?

        For the build problems, be sure to look over the Makefile before building.
        Ploticus requires you to edit the Makefile and make certain settings by
        commenting/uncommenting certain lines... all explained in the file. From
        your build output it looks like the GD option isn't being selected
        properly.

        Let me know how it turns out.

        -Steve

      • Guy S.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 21, 2008
          Steven,

          First - thanks for an incredible product. I couldn't believe my good
          fortune when I first discovered it. Take a look at the
          stats.wisccal.wisc.edu web page to see how we're using it (and there
          will be more, as soon as I can write the data-gathering code to grab
          additional data to graph from our calendar system).

          Second - the patch did the trick. I now have legends using the
          executable from the patched source. Without your direction I'd never
          have thought that the fix the patch is for would affect legends,
          because everything else works.

          My thanks!

          Guy

          P.S. What a great place to live and work!!