Re: [ploticus] How To Generate a Fixed-Sized Image?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008

      the -pagesize command line option should do what you want.

      http://ploticus.sourceforge.net/doc/pl.1.html#resultsize

      you can also do the same thing via Proc Page in your script.

      -Steve

      On Fri, 30 May 2008, Kay Wrobel wrote:

      > Dear Ploticus Newsgroup,
      >
      > I'm running into a bit of a road block with a specific problem and am
      > hoping for some valuable advice.
      >
      > I have a specific size available on my paper output to show some
      > statistic. My goal is to generate an EPS image that is exactly 2" by
      > 1.2" in dimension. I originally thought that the "rectangle=" directive
      > would take care of that, but not so as it apparently defines only the
      > plotting area for the graph and not the overall image dimensions as it
      > places labels and stubs around the plotting area.
      >
      > The computing environment is an IBM eSeries running AIX 5.2 (Unix with
      > Linux Affinity) and Progress 9.1 as database backend/4GL programming
      > language. Miraprint by Distinct Imaging and GhostScript are used to
      > generate the final PS/PDF output. Miraprint accepts either 24-bit/1-bit
      > BMP files or Encapsulated PS (EPS) image formats. The command to place
      > an image on the page accepts upper left corner coordinates, rotation and
      > scaling (in %) but is unable to "stretch" an EPS image to a specific size.
      >
      > Could any one who has had the same or similar issue point me into the
      > right direction of how to attack this problem?
      >
      > Thank you.

    • Kay Wrobel
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
        Thank you, Steve. However, the man page tells me a different story. Quote:

        -pagesize has no effect with EPS or paginated PostScript results (the PostScript BoundingBox will be determined by the extent of the graphic).

        I need EPS. PNG/GIF/JPEG are all not supported by Miraprint (it only understands BMP or EPS). Also, EPS outputs look a lot better on the output pages, I must say.

        Any other suggestions?

        Kay

        Hi,

        --
        Kay Wrobel
        MIS Associate

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2008
          Hi Kay, sorry about that.

          It may be that EPS "standard policy" is for the importing application to
          be responsible for sizing the EPS appropriately. Does your Miraprint
          software have a way to size imported EPS?

          -Steve

        • Kay Wrobel
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 13, 2008
            Steve,

            Miraprint allows me to enlarge/reduce by percentage. Customer Support at Distinct Imaging has helped me finding the best scale factor by reading the BoundingBox line and parsing the X,Y coordinates and then applying those to the desired X- or Y- width. I made two separate functions out of that so that I can do either of them as desired. So, in short: yes, I solved my problem.

            Kay

            Kay Wrobel
            MIS Associate
            Hawk Electronics, Inc.