new user question - controlling ranges of time-based x-axis

  • Mark Seger
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2007
      I've written a tool for collecting very comprehensive and detailed
      linux system performance data (see: http://collectl.sourceforge.net/)
      and one of the features that makes this tool different than most is
      its ability to generate data in plottable format (space separated
      fields) and I've been using gnuplot to do this for years.

      I've just been pointed to ploticus by one of my users and after trying
      it out I think it had great promise. The only thing is as a new user
      I'm having a bit of a struggle with all its features (something I hear
      about collectl all the time). Specifically, I have a data file with
      8640 rows in it (10 second samples) and about 100 columns of data (I
      told you I can collect lots of stuff) While I seem to be able to
      generate some basic plots using "-prefab chron" my x-axis is showing
      up with a label for 3 days and including the day before and the day
      after the data in my file.

      Looking around I've found lowfix and highfix but no examples of how to
      specify date/time ranges with it. Can they be used for this purpose?
      Here's the command I'm using:

      pl.exe -prefab chron data=cag-dl380-01-20060928.tab datefmt=yyyymmdd
      x=1 y=6 -gif -o xxx.gif -maxfields 1000000

      As you can see I'm running it on a PC (I tried to get it to build on
      linux and had problems in that it couldn't find X11 but those are
      problems for another day as I'm happy to work on a PC for now). I
      also couldn't figure out how to display plots interactively and
      so that's why I'm generating them as a file and then using a viewer to
      look at them. I told you I'm a newbie... 8-)

      I'll keep poking around but I figure if there are some easy answers to
      some of my questions it will save me some time.

      -mark
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 19, 2007
        Mark,

        PC builds of ploticus don't display interactively, the way you're working
        is the only way to go. If your linux system has X11 it should be easy to
        get that working, but anyway.

        If your datetime info is in field 1 and sorted, you should see the x axis
        ranging from the beginning of your time interval to the end. Is your
        input data set tab-delimited? If so try adding "-delim tab" to the
        command line.

        That's about all I can suggest without seeing your data set... if you
        still can't get it to work feel free to send me an example data set so I
        can attempt to reproduce the problem here. Thanks,

        Steve