Graph Display area problem!

  • sszabistian
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16, 2007
      Hello,

      I have got a very different problem. I have a line graph with some
      very high peeks on y-axis which actually increase the size of the
      graph and reduce the area which has the significant information making
      it hard to interpret the graph. Following is the sample data of the
      problem:

      x y
      1 3
      2 5
      3 5000
      4 2
      5 6
      6 8000
      7 1

      in this sample data there are two high peeks (i.e. 5000 and 8000)
      which makes the whole graph ugly. I dont want to put "NA" in place of
      those high peeks because doing so will produce a wrong graph with
      lines (2,5) to (4,2) and (5,6) to (7,1).

      I need it such a way that I can limit the y-axis (max value 10 in this
      case) so that it will display the peeks by making them invisible as
      they run out of the ploting area (e.g. line going upwards from point
      (2,5) till the max plotting range and then at another point coming in
      downwards uptill the point (4,2) ).

      I tried to decrease the yrange but it only limits the y-axis and tics
      but draws the graph without any change with visible lines running out
      of the y-axis range. (e.g y-axis ends with max-tic 10 but the lines
      are drawn for points 5000 and 8000 also, outside the y-axis given range).

      I tried to limit the pagesize but it ends the graph abruptly and
      truncates the graph and y-axis which falls outside the page limit.

      I dont know how to solve this problem and produce a decent looking
      graph. Can anyone please help?

      Best Regards,
      Shuja
    • Joshua Simons

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16, 2007

          Try:

          clip: yes

          in your lineplot along with specifying the y range.

          -Dan

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20, 2007
            Thanks Dan! it worked.

            --- In ploticus@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Wheeler" <dwheeler@...> wrote:

            > Try:
            >
            > clip: yes
            >

            > in your lineplot along with specifying the y range.
            >

            > -Dan

            Behalf Of Joshua Simons