Cumufrac problem

  • ibid17
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2007
      I'm having trouble with cumufrac and can't figure out what's wrong. Hoping someone
      can help. I'm using Ploticus 2.32 on Mac OS X 10.4.8 (prebuilt from the Ploticus web
      site.)

      Briefly, the first command below creates a correct cumufrac gif file. The second
      command creates a gif with the correct axes extents, but no data line--the plotting
      area is blank.

      works: bin/pl -debug -gif -prefab cumufrac x=2 data=foo echodata=yes
      doesn't work: bin/pl -debug -gif -prefab cumufrac x=1 data=foo echodata=yes

      foo contains:

      1 1
      2 2
      3 3
      4 4
      5 5
      6 10
      7 23
      8 2

      debug output for the working example is:

      bin/pl -debug -gif -prefab cumufrac x=2 data=foo echodata=yes

      Got command line arg(s): -gif
      Prefabs dir is: /Users/jsimons/Desktop/Downloads/pl232osx/prefabs
      Script file is /Users/jsimons/Desktop/Downloads/pl232osx/prefabs/cumufrac.pl
      Got command line arg(s): x=2
      Got command line arg(s): data=foo
      Got command line arg(s): echodata=yes
      Device code is g
      Setting output file name to cumufrac.gif
      Version: pl 2.32
      Script file is: /Users/jsimons/Desktop/Downloads/pl232osx/prefabs/cumufrac.pl
      Script file successfully opened
      Executing settings
      Executing getdata
      filling data set# 0
      getdata has read 8 records; there are 2 fields per record.
      // proc getdata has read & parsed these data:
      [1][1]
      [2][2]
      [3][3]
      [4][4]
      [5][5]
      [6][10]
      [7][23]
      [8][2]
      Got 8 records, 2 fields per record.
      (endproc)
      Executing areadef
      Autorange on x: min=0 to max=25
      areadef: lowerleft: 2,2 upperright: 7,5
      areadef: xrange is 0 to 25. yrange is 0 to 8.
      (endproc)
      Executing xaxis
      Executing lineplot
      sorting points for line
      Executing line
      Executing areadef
      areadef: lowerleft: 2,2 upperright: 7,5
      areadef: xrange is 0 to 1. yrange is 0 to 1.
      Done with page. Writing out result file. Computed bounding box is: 1.43 , 1.59 to 7.20 ,
      5.20

      debug output for the non-working example is:

      Got command line arg(s): -gif
      Prefabs dir is: /Users/jsimons/Desktop/Downloads/pl232osx/prefabs
      Script file is /Users/jsimons/Desktop/Downloads/pl232osx/prefabs/cumufrac.pl
      Got command line arg(s): x=1
[...]
      Autorange on x: min=1 to max=9
      areadef: lowerleft: 2,2 upperright: 7,5
      areadef: xrange is 1 to 9. yrange is 0 to 8.
      (endproc)
      Executing xaxis
      Executing lineplot
      sorting points for line
      Executing line
      Executing areadef
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2007
        Having worked more with Ploticus since I originally sent in my question about cumufrac
        (I am working on a project to convince my town that they are not assessing our neighborhood
        fairly), the reported problem may be a symptom of either a larger problem or just my
        lack of understanding.

        I find that for some combinations of barsize and binsize, I get no data in my graph. I
        haven't been able to understand what is going on at all--I can't predict which values
        will result in a data display and which will cause a blank display. Again, it may be
        me or maybe there is a problem.

        In the original problem report, I didn't specify either binsize or barsize so I would have
        expected Ploticus to pick appropriate values. That the display is blank leads me to
        wonder if there really is a problem beyond my lack of understanding.

        Any pointers or help would be much appreciated.

        Josh Simons
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2007
          Hi, thanks for the very clear problem report.. I wish they were all passed
          to me this way.

          It looks like a bug, am continuing to look into it.

          I'll get back to you soon,

          Steve