RPloticus Released

  • Brian Mulloy
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2006
      Hi There,

      For ruby developers, I just released the first version of RPloticus, a
      C-based Ruby wrapper to the Ploticus API. We use RPloticus to
      generate all the graphs at www.swivel.com so it's fairly well tested
      for a broad range of graph types. We develop on Mac OS X and run on
      Linux.

      http://rubyforge.org/projects/rploticus/

      I plan to do a better job documenting it and making install smoother
      over time.

      Steve and all thanks a ton for helping us with previous issues and
      questions with Ploticus. And for creating ploticus in the first place.

      -b
    • Sheahan, John
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2006

        Wow….that’s great news!

        Can you provide a link so that we can see some examples of the RPloticus graphs?

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
          sure.  if you go to http://www.swivel.com, you'll be bombarded with graphs.

          In the rploticus source code we included one of our .pl templates for line graphs in the test suite.  Feel free to use that.  Once we polish the bar and pie graph templates some more, we'll add those to the test suite too for use.  Our designer did a pretty nice job with them.

          FYI, here is a link to an article about Swivel: http://www.techcrunch.com/tag/swivel.  In just 5 days since launch, we have 99,250 graphs and over 1,500 users registered.  Bloggers and media are calling Swivel the YouTube of data.  Despite what TechCrunch says, it wasn't Dmitry and I who started that.  Our model is public data is free, private data requires a fee.

          Thanks again for Ploticus.

          -b