OK...I just cant figure out where to start.

  • i8uyesterday
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 5, 2006
      Hi I love the potential polticus has for some of things I do, and I've
      poured over all the documentation and examples that I can find but I
      still cant seem to figure out how to even create a graph...

      I'm mainly trying to create graphs via the command line, I open a
      command prompt and try to run the command "pl -prefab pie" or some
      other variation (I know I'm missing values and such), but all I get is
      a notification that pl isnt a known command... I really feel like an
      idiot in coming to you like this, because I have spent hours trying
      numerous different ways to communicate with ploticus but I seem to be
      overlooking some obvious step...could someone spare a moment and give
      me some dumbed-down ploticus 101 guidance? Thanks so much!
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 6, 2006

        please indicate your platform (windows?)

        also indicate what you did when you downloaded / installed ploticus.

        ploticus doesn't "automagically" install itself (since I don't know how to
        reliably tell it to do so). And, as you've realized, the only way to run
        it is from the command line. With the above info I should be able to walk
        you through how to get started.

        -Steve

        On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, i8uyesterday wrote:

        > Hi I love the potential polticus has for some of things I do, and I've
        > poured over all the documentation and examples that I can find but I
        > still cant seem to figure out how to even create a graph...
        >
        > I'm mainly trying to create graphs via the command line, I open a
        > command prompt and try to run the command "pl -prefab pie" or some
        > other variation (I know I'm missing values and such), but all I get is
        > a notification that pl isnt a known command... I really feel like an
        > idiot in coming to you like this, because I have spent hours trying
        > numerous different ways to communicate with ploticus but I seem to be
        > overlooking some obvious step...could someone spare a moment and give
        > me some dumbed-down ploticus 101 guidance? Thanks so much!

      • Jamie Echlin
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 8, 2006

          One of my sites reported a problem to me where a ploticus output file
          filled the system partition and causing some problems, when they deleted
          it it was 31 Gb. It was SVG output. I have no more information that
          that, I just wondered if anyone had seen a situation where, perhaps with
          an incorrect .pl file, this had happened?

          Cheers, jamie
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 8, 2006
            Jamie, this is the first I've heard of something like this, but I'm not
            too surprised, since ploticus script files allow looping and it's
            certainly possible to code an infinite loop containing draw operations.

            Ploticus doesn't offer any sanity checking in applications space, but I
            guess it could (eg. abort after several million lines of svg are
            produced).

            OS-enforced resource limits seem like a better way to go... and ploticus
            uses linux/unix rlimit to enforce a 30 sec cputime max. rlimit can also
            be used to limit size of created files. But if I remember correctly
            you're working on win32.. if win32 has an os-enforced process resource
            limiting facility that might be worth looking into. Probably something
            similar could be enforced by Apache / web server as well.

            If you get further info about what happened I'd be interested to hear.

            Steve

            On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Jamie Echlin wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > One of my sites reported a problem to me where a ploticus output file
            > filled the system partition and causing some problems, when they deleted
            > it it was 31 Gb. It was SVG output. I have no more information that
            > that, I just wondered if anyone had seen a situation where, perhaps with
            > an incorrect .pl file, this had happened?
            >
            > Cheers, jamie

          • i8uyesterday
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 8, 2006
              Hi Steve,

              Thanks for the response,

              I am running ploticus on Windows XP.I downloaded the pl233win32 zip
              file and browsed the contents for some sort of installer but couldn't
              find one. Is this the correct file to have dpownloaded? Is there some
              sort of install step I overlooked. Thansk for any help you can offer!

              --- In ploticus@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen C. Grubb" <scg@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > please indicate your platform (windows?)
              >
              > also indicate what you did when you downloaded / installed ploticus.
              >
              > ploticus doesn't "automagically" install itself (since I don't know
              how to
              > reliably tell it to do so). And, as you've realized, the only way
              to run
              > it is from the command line. With the above info I should be able
              to walk
              > you through how to get started.
              >
              > -Steve
              >

              > On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, i8uyesterday wrote:
              >
              > > Hi I love the potential polticus has for some of things I do, and I've
              > > poured over all the documentation and examples that I can find but I
              > > still cant seem to figure out how to even create a graph...
              > >
              > > I'm mainly trying to create graphs via the command line, I open a
              > > command prompt and try to run the command "pl -prefab pie" or some
              > > other variation (I know I'm missing values and such), but all I get is
              > > a notification that pl isnt a known command... I really feel like an
              > > idiot in coming to you like this, because I have spent hours trying
              > > numerous different ways to communicate with ploticus but I seem to be
              > > overlooking some obvious step...could someone spare a moment and give
              > > me some dumbed-down ploticus 101 guidance? Thanks so much!
              > >

              > Stephen C. Grubb scg@... x-6633

            • Brian Mulloy
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 9, 2006
                We saw an issue like this with ~50 MB files being created. When we
                inspected the SVG as plain text we saw it was generating thousands of
                tics. If I recall correctly, we tweaked the stub and tic settings in
                our templates to fix it.

                -brian mulloy

                --- In ploticus@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen C. Grubb" <scg@...> wrote:

                > Jamie, this is the first I've heard of something like this, but I'm not
                > too surprised, since ploticus script files allow looping and it's
                > certainly possible to code an infinite loop containing draw operations.
                >
                > Ploticus doesn't offer any sanity checking in applications space, but I
                > guess it could (eg. abort after several million lines of svg are
                > produced).
                >
                > OS-enforced resource limits seem like a better way to go... and ploticus
                > uses linux/unix rlimit to enforce a 30 sec cputime max. rlimit can also
                > be used to limit size of created files. But if I remember correctly
                > you're working on win32.. if win32 has an os-enforced process resource
                > limiting facility that might be worth looking into. Probably something
                > similar could be enforced by Apache / web server as well.
                >
                > If you get further info about what happened I'd be interested to hear.
                >
                > Steve
                >

                > On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Jamie Echlin wrote:
                >
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > One of my sites reported a problem to me where a ploticus output file
                > > filled the system partition and causing some problems, when they
                deleted
                > > it it was 31 Gb. It was SVG output. I have no more information that
                > > that, I just wondered if anyone had seen a situation where,
                perhaps with
                > > an incorrect .pl file, this had happened?
                > >
                > > Cheers, jamie
                > >

                > Stephen C. Grubb scg@... x-6633

              • i8uyesterday
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                  Hi Steve, Sorry for my slow response, I responded earlier but my reply
                  must have timed out and never posted. I am using Windows XP and I
                  downloaded and unzipped the pl233win32.zip file. I browsed the files
                  but couldn't find anything that looked like an install file. Did I
                  miss something important. Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

                  ~Chris

                  --- In ploticus@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen C. Grubb" <scg@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > please indicate your platform (windows?)
                  >
                  > also indicate what you did when you downloaded / installed ploticus.
                  >
                  > ploticus doesn't "automagically" install itself (since I don't know
                  how to
                  > reliably tell it to do so). And, as you've realized, the only way
                  to run
                  > it is from the command line. With the above info I should be able
                  to walk
                  > you through how to get started.
                  >
                  > -Steve
                  >

                  > On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, i8uyesterday wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi I love the potential polticus has for some of things I do, and I've
                  > > poured over all the documentation and examples that I can find but I
                  > > still cant seem to figure out how to even create a graph...
                  > >
                  > > I'm mainly trying to create graphs via the command line, I open a
                  > > command prompt and try to run the command "pl -prefab pie" or some
                  > > other variation (I know I'm missing values and such), but all I get is
                  > > a notification that pl isnt a known command... I really feel like an
                  > > idiot in coming to you like this, because I have spent hours trying
                  > > numerous different ways to communicate with ploticus but I seem to be
                  > > overlooking some obvious step...could someone spare a moment and give
                  > > me some dumbed-down ploticus 101 guidance? Thanks so much!
                  > >

                  > Stephen C. Grubb scg@... x-6633

                • i8uyesterday
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 11, 2006
                      Hi, yes this is the correct file.

                      You need to use stuffit expander or winzip to unpack it. this is pretty
                      basic/standard, if unsure ask a friend.

                      then open a command line, cd to the pl233win32 directory, cd into the bin
                      subdirectory, and type: pl you should see a usage message.. this
                      indicates that you've managed to execute ploticus.

                      basically then you need to add the bin to your PATH so that the pl command
                      can be picked up regardless of which directory you're in. Then go into
                      the pltestsuite and run some of the examples.

                      if you need further help once you reach this point let me know.

                      Steve

                      On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, i8uyesterday wrote:

                      > Hi Steve,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the response,
                      >
                      > I am running ploticus on Windows XP.I downloaded the pl233win32 zip
                      > file and browsed the contents for some sort of installer but couldn't
                      > find one. Is this the correct file to have dpownloaded? Is there some
                      > sort of install step I overlooked. Thansk for any help you can offer!
                      >

                      > --- In ploticus@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen C. Grubb" <scg@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi,
                      > >
                      > > please indicate your platform (windows?)
                      > >
                      > > also indicate what you did when you downloaded / installed ploticus.
                      > >
                      > > ploticus doesn't "automagically" install itself (since I don't know
                      > how to
                      > > reliably tell it to do so). And, as you've realized, the only way
                      > to run
                      > > it is from the command line. With the above info I should be able
                      > to walk
                      > > you through how to get started.
                      > >
                      > > -Steve
                      > >

                      > > On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, i8uyesterday wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Hi I love the potential polticus has for some of things I do, and I've
                      > > > poured over all the documentation and examples that I can find but I
                      > > > still cant seem to figure out how to even create a graph...
                      > > >
                      > > > I'm mainly trying to create graphs via the command line, I open a
                      > > > command prompt and try to run the command "pl -prefab pie" or some
                      > > > other variation (I know I'm missing values and such), but all I get is
                      > > > a notification that pl isnt a known command... I really feel like an
                      > > > idiot in coming to you like this, because I have spent hours trying
                      > > > numerous different ways to communicate with ploticus but I seem to be
                      > > > overlooking some obvious step...could someone spare a moment and give
                      > > > me some dumbed-down ploticus 101 guidance? Thanks so much!
                      > > >

                      > > Stephen C. Grubb scg@... x-6633
                      > > Scientific Software Engineer, The Jackson Laboratory
                      > > 600 Main Street Bar Harbor, Maine 04609 USA

                    • Jamie Echlin
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 11, 2006
                        Hi Steve,

                        I should have mentioned, I don't use any ploticus script at all... I
                        generate the plotfiles using a templating language, so prefer to do any
                        logic and looping in that, to make things easier to debug. Also, the
                        input file (not that it's available anymore) can't have been
                        outlandishly large... If it happens again I'll try to get some more
                        info. Thanks...

                        Cheers, jamie

                      • Jamie Echlin
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 11, 2006
                          That's interesting... I suppose I can see that happening if the timespan
                          was trillions of years or something. 30Tb is a hell of a lot though...

                          Cheers, jamie

                        • max vinci
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 23, 2006
                            Thansk Steve, I think Im getting the hang of things now.

                            You need to use stuffit expander or winzip to unpack it. this is pretty
                            basic/standard, if unsure ask a friend.

                            then open a command line, cd to the pl233win32 directory, cd into the bin
                            subdirectory, and type: pl you should see a usage message.. this
                            indicates that you've managed to execute ploticus.

                            basically then you need to add the bin to your PATH so that the pl command
                            can be picked up regardless of which directory you're in. Then go into
                            the pltestsuite and run some of the examples.

                            if you need further help once you reach this point let me know.

                            Steve

                            On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, i8uyesterday wrote:

                            > Hi Steve,
                            >
                            > Thanks for the response,
                            >
                            > I am running ploticus on Windows XP.I downloaded the pl233win32 zip
                            > file and browsed the contents for some sort of installer but couldn't
                            > find one. Is this the correct file to have dpownloaded? Is there some
                            > sort of install step I overlooked. Thansk for any help you can offer!
                            >

                            > --- In ploticus@yahoogroup s.com, "Stephen C. Grubb" <scg@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi,
                            > >
                            > > please indicate your platform (windows?)
                            > >
                            > > also indicate what you did when you downloaded / installed ploticus.
                            > >
                            > > ploticus doesn't "automagically" install itself (since I don't know
                            > how to
                            > > reliably tell it to do so). And, as you've realized, the only way
                            > to run
                            > > it is from the command line. With the above info I should be able
                            > to walk
                            > > you through how to get started.
                            > >
                            > > -Steve
                            > >

                            > > On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, i8uyesterday wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Hi I love the potential polticus has for some of things I do, and I've
                            > > > poured over all the documentation and examples that I can find but I
                            > > > still cant seem to figure out how to even create a graph...
                            > > >
                            > > > I'm mainly trying to create graphs via the command line, I open a
                            > > > command prompt and try to run the command "pl -prefab pie" or some
                            > > > other variation (I know I'm missing values and such), but all I get is
                            > > > a notification that pl isnt a known command... I really feel like an
                            > > > idiot in coming to you like this, because I have spent hours trying
                            > > > numerous different ways to communicate with ploticus but I seem to be
                            > > > overlooking some obvious step...could someone spare a moment and give
                            > > > me some dumbed-down ploticus 101 guidance? Thanks so much!
                            > > >

                            > > Stephen C. Grubb scg@... x-6633
                            > > Scientific Software Engineer, The Jackson Laboratory
                            > > 600 Main Street Bar Harbor, Maine 04609 USA

                          • futumeter1
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 14, 2006

                              I just want to know some things if you can help. Ive followed the
                              steps.

                              "basically then you need to add the bin to your PATH so that the pl
                              command
                              can be picked up regardless of which directory you're in. Then go
                              into
                              the pltestsuite and run some of the examples."

                              What do you mean by adding path and how do I do it?

                              Thanks,
                              Dermot

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 15, 2006
                                Dermot,

                                you could try just copying pl.exe into the pltestsuite directory

                                then you can try the examples without needing to bother with path

                                the way you add commands to your path is to use the PATH command.. and
                                involves general knowledge of how to navigate directories and other basic
                                developers concepts.. it should be explained in a "Windows for beginners"
                                or "MS-DOS for beginners" type of book.

                                Steve