a few ploticus applicational questions

  • Michael C. Wu
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11, 2002
      Hi Everyone,

      I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking . :)

      I am trying to generate graphs with ploticus by -svg , -eps, and -png

      The problem is that I cannot seem to get ploticus to
      display/print/generate Chinese characters in BIG-5 or UNICODE encoding.
      Is there a way to do so?
      http://ploticus.sourceforge.net/doc/fonts.html does not seem to mention such
      things. If there is no way to do so, what places should I look
      in order to add this functionality?

      Secondly, how can I make ploticus draw 3D bar graphs or 3D pie graphs?
      (Only the internal bars/pie need to be semi 3d.)

      Lastly, can I make ploticus draw horizontal bar graphs (like prefab vbars
      or stack, but horizontal). Moreover, how I can make ploticus draw
      cylinderical graphs? (like bar graphs, except the bars are cylinders.)

      I appreciate your answers and your time very much.

      Thanks,
      Michael
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 12, 2002
        > The problem is that I cannot seem to get ploticus to
        > display/print/generate Chinese characters in BIG-5 or UNICODE encoding.
        > Is there a way to do so?
        > http://ploticus.sourceforge.net/doc/fonts.html does not seem to mention such
        > things. If there is no way to do so, what places should I look
        > in order to add this functionality?

        Michael,
        Sorry, ploticus was designed only to use 8 bit wide character set. I
        don't know much about BIG-5 or UNICODE or how you might go about adding
        this functionality.

        > Secondly, how can I make ploticus draw 3D bar graphs or 3D pie graphs?
        > (Only the internal bars/pie need to be semi 3d.)
        > Moreover, how I can make ploticus draw
        > cylinderical graphs? (like bar graphs, except the bars are cylinders.)

        Ploticus doesn't currently do any 3-D effects, other than drop shadows and
        bevels on annotation boxes.

        See examples at http://ploticus.sourceforge.net/gallery/gall.hbars.html

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 27, 2002
          Michael,

          My earlier answer to your inquiry regarding ploticus support of UNICODE /
          BIG-5 was probably incorrect.

          From what I am learning, ploticus should be able to support unicode (and
          presumably big-5) for titles, labels, annotations, etc via SVG with a few
          minor modifications. PNG/JPEG with Freetype2 apparently should also work
          but I haven't tried that yet. Niether utf8 or big-5 encoding should
          present problems with regard to ploticus script parsing or data
          delimitation, because the delimitation characters that ploticus uses
          (space, tab, comma, colon, double quote, equals-sign) are all in the ascii
          0-63 range.

          To try this out, I did the following:

          1. Since I didn't already have a unicode font on my NT 4.0 box, I
          downloaded and installed a unicode font called Bitstream Cyberbit.

          2. I set up a simple ploticus script like this:

          #proc annotate
          text:
          <some utf8-encoded unicode characters here>

          3. Then I used pl -svg to produce the file 'foo.svg'

          4. When I tried to view foo.svg in MSIE it didn't work because foo.svg is
          not completely correct.. the encoding method is wrong and the font is
          Helvetica.

          5. When I manually edited foo.svg and changed the encoding (first line) to
          "utf-8", and changed "Helvetica" to "Bitstream Cyberbit" the unicode
          characters were visible when foo.svg was viewed in MSIE. Pretty cool ;>

          I will try to do the following for the next version of ploticus:
          - allow encoding method to be set from the command line or script so it
          can be correctly indicated in the SVG file
          - allow font names that contain embedded spaces (currently not allowed)
          - change the svg driver to pass &#dddd and &#xHHHH constructs
          transparently
          - check for situations where string length would cause display problems,
          since the strlen() of a utf8 string is not going to correspond to the
          displayable length
          - what about unicode characters embedded in dates, categories and other
          plottable data items?
          - produce an example and test using SVG and PNG w/ freetype2

          Any comments?

          Thanks for making the request/suggestion.

          -Steve

          On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Michael C. Wu wrote:

          > I am trying to generate graphs with ploticus by -svg , -eps, and -png
          >
          > The problem is that I cannot seem to get ploticus to
          > display/print/generate Chinese characters in BIG-5 or UNICODE encoding.
          > Is there a way to do so?
          > http://ploticus.sourceforge.net/doc/fonts.html does not seem to mention such
          > things. If there is no way to do so, what places should I look
          > in order to add this functionality?

        • jliubr02
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 23, 2004
            Hi everybody,

            I'm trying to build ploticus with SWF support on a rhat 7.2 advanced
            server, but I'm getting a slight problem. I built the ming library
            and placed it in a subdir of my home directory. Then I customized the
            pl Makefile to point to my ming library as necessary with the
            following commands:

            MING = -L/home/.../liuj/ming/lib/ -lming
            MINGH = -I/home/.../liuj/ming/include
            (and commented out the last line with the DNOSWF flag)

            Which builds successfully. When I try to run pl with ./pl, I get:

            ./pl: error while loading shared libraries: libming.so: cannot open

            If I build without SWF it works perfectly. Any ideas?

            Thanks in advance,

            Jonathan Liu
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 25, 2004
              What happens if you do

              ls -l /home/.../liuj/ming/lib/libming.so

              On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, jliubr02 wrote:

              > Hi everybody,
              >
              > I'm trying to build ploticus with SWF support on a rhat 7.2 advanced
              > server, but I'm getting a slight problem. I built the ming library
              > and placed it in a subdir of my home directory. Then I customized the
              > pl Makefile to point to my ming library as necessary with the
              > following commands:
              >
              > MING = -L/home/.../liuj/ming/lib/ -lming
              > MINGH = -I/home/.../liuj/ming/include
              > (and commented out the last line with the DNOSWF flag)
              >
              > Which builds successfully. When I try to run pl with ./pl, I get:
              >
              > ./pl: error while loading shared libraries: libming.so: cannot open
              >
              > If I build without SWF it works perfectly. Any ideas?
              >
              > Thanks in advance,
              >
              > Jonathan Liu

            • jliubr02
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 30, 2004
                Sorry, been out of touch.

                if I do that ls, I get the symbolic link:

                12 Mar 23 16:45 libming.so -> libming.so.0

                ls libming* results in the following list:
                libming.so libming.so.0 libming.so.0.2

                all of which I'm the owner for and have rxw access to.

                Thanks again,

                Jonathan Liu

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 31, 2004
                  Jonathan,

                  > libming.so: cannot open

                  This still looks like a permissions or file access problem to me, likely
                  involving the soft link.

                  What happens if you
                  1) cd to the directory where you run pl
                  2) issue the command: cat /home/.../liuj/ming/lib/libming.so > /dev/null

                  Do you get a "cat: cannot open" error?

                  Steve