tab with multiple bars in chron prefab

  • Rajkumar S
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2006

      I have a series of data like:

      2006-02-05.09:32:45 1 0 0
      2006-02-05.09:34:12 1 0 0
      2006-02-05.09:36:36 1 0 0

      Which may be or may not be sorted. I want to create a bar graph with data tabulated on
      hourly or daily basis. I can get exactly what I want with

      ploticus -prefab chron data=data.txt x=1 y=2 datefmt=yyyy-mm-dd xinc="1 day"
      stubfmt=dd tab=day ygrid="yes"

      I want to expand this to plot 3 bars per cluster, once for each columns. (like Example 5
      (students) in vertical bar graphs gallery) How can I do it?

      Also how can i do the tabulation (tab=) from script?

      with regards,

      raj
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2006
        Raj, here's what I would try:

        1) run your command and use the -echo stdout option to write the
        underlying script to standard output, and capture it into a file.

        2) edit the file and duplicate the script code so you have 3 instances

        3) in the first instance, find the #proc bars and add the attribute
        cluster: 1 / 3

        4) remove the #proc areadef and #proc axis blocks from the 2nd and 3rd
        instances. You want to do all your drawing in one plotting area.

        5) in the 2nd instance, find the #proc bars and add the attribute
        cluster: 2 / 3 also change the lenfield to use data field 3.

        6) also in the 2nd instance, change the getdata script so that it is
        tabulating on field 3 rather than field 2.

        7) in the 3rd instance, repeat steps (4) and (5), using data field 4 and
        cluster: 3 / 3

        Then do pl scriptfile .... it will read your data file 3 times,
        tabulate 3 times, and generate 3 sets of bars (left, center, right) all in
        one plotting area.

        I put this together from memory and may have left something out, but this
        gives the general idea.

        Steve