ploticus doco question: multi dataset file

  • de_anander
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 2005
      I have looked through the prebuilt scripts and the test dir and I
      can't find an example of the syntax I am looking for... though it
      seems a very obvious example that more people than myself might want.

      I have a dataset where column 1 defines the plot element, i.e. there
      are multiple traces on the graph and column 1 names them. column 2 is
      x, column 3 is y, column 4+ can be ignored.

      thus

      foo 123 456
      foo 124 654
      foo 125 546
      bar 122 789
      bar 123 987
      bar 124 897

      and so on

      I wish I knew how to tell ploticus to read this data file and plot foo
      in red and bar in blue. it seems as though one or more of the getdata
      options should produce this behaviour but after a quick tour of the
      online doco I remained clueless. I often have this problem with
      ploticus -- it has more features than you can shake a stick at, but
      finding the one you want can take a long time ... which presents a
      threshold of effort that sometimes makes me revert to less powerful
      plot packages just because I know how to make them do what I want :-)

      anyway, surely this is a basic and obvious feature and I'm just for
      some reason not seeing it in the doco, or it's so obvious that no
      example was ever written for it :-)
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 21, 2005

        the way I would do this is to use the "select" attribute of your plotting
        proc. For instance if you are doing lineplots:

        #proc lineplot
        xfield: 2
        yfield: 3
        linedetails: color=red