Which plot is suitable

  • sn_32_sn
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
      Hello,

      I got an event like this

      Job Failed Time PR logged Time PR closed Time
      X 07:30 08:40 09:30
      Y 07:40 08:20 09:10

      How do I plot all the 3 times in a way to highlight when the event
      failed against when it was logged and closed. Or is there a better
      way to do it?
      Over a day and month I want to see the gap between the time it failed
      and the time it took to log the call.

      Any suggestions?
      The thought of time on the Y axis is driving me nuts, somehow it
      doesn't feel right.

      regards,
      Sivaram
    • Andrew Schulman
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
        > Hello,
        >
        > I got an event like this
        >
        > Job Failed Time PR logged Time PR closed Time
        > X 07:30 08:40 09:30
        > Y 07:40 08:20 09:10
        >
        > How do I plot all the 3 times in a way to highlight when the event
        > failed against when it was logged and closed. Or is there a better
        > way to do it?
        > Over a day and month I want to see the gap between the time it failed
        > and the time it took to log the call.
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        > The thought of time on the Y axis is driving me nuts, somehow it
        > doesn't feel right.

        Yeah, that would feel wrong. So how about something like this:

        #proc bars
        axis: x
        leftticfield: failed
        midticfield: logged
        rightticfield: closed

        That will give you horizontal bars, stacked vertically at one-unit
        intervals.
      • sn_32_sn
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2005
          --- In ploticus@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Schulman <andrex@a...> wrote:
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I got an event like this
          > >
          > > Job Failed Time PR logged Time PR closed Time
          > > X 07:30 08:40 09:30
          > > Y 07:40 08:20 09:10
          > >
          > > How do I plot all the 3 times in a way to highlight when the event
          > > failed against when it was logged and closed. Or is there a
          better
          > > way to do it?
          > > Over a day and month I want to see the gap between the time it
          failed
          > > and the time it took to log the call.
          > >
          > > Any suggestions?
          > > The thought of time on the Y axis is driving me nuts, somehow it
          > > doesn't feel right.
          >
          > Yeah, that would feel wrong. So how about something like this:
          >
          > #proc bars
          > axis: x
          > leftticfield: failed
          > midticfield: logged
          > rightticfield: closed
          >
          > That will give you horizontal bars, stacked vertically at one-unit
          > intervals.

          Can you explain a little more, please?
        • Andrew Schulman
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2005
            > --- In ploticus@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Schulman <andrex@a...> wrote:
            > > > Hello,
            > > >
            > > > I got an event like this
            > > >
            > > > Job Failed Time PR logged Time PR closed Time
            > > > X 07:30 08:40 09:30
            > > > Y 07:40 08:20 09:10
            > > >
            > > > How do I plot all the 3 times in a way to highlight when the event
            > > > failed against when it was logged and closed. Or is there a
            > better
            > > > way to do it?
            > > > Over a day and month I want to see the gap between the time it
            > failed
            > > > and the time it took to log the call.
            > > >
            > > > Any suggestions?
            > > > The thought of time on the Y axis is driving me nuts, somehow it
            > > > doesn't feel right.
            > >
            > > Yeah, that would feel wrong. So how about something like this:
            > >
            > > #proc bars
            > > axis: x
            > > leftticfield: failed
            > > midticfield: logged
            > > rightticfield: closed
            > >
            > > That will give you horizontal bars, stacked vertically at one-unit
            > > intervals.
            >
            > Can you explain a little more, please?

            Sorry, I don't have time. Read the ploticus manual, which is very
            good, especially for free software; look at the examples in the manual
            for proc bars; and then start trying some scripts. You'll work it
            out.