Re: [ploticus] Re: Question about legends

  • Louis Godio
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
      Hi Steve,

      I think ploticus PNG is great and currently use it for output generated by
      the c-code apps I use to analyze my research data.

      It would save me a great deal of time if I could compile c-code
      equivalents for procs areadef, x/yaxis, scatterplot and lineplot (PNG
      output only).

      Do you think this is an advisable quest ? If so, is the source code for
      plpng availible to ploticus users ?

      lgodio@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
        Louis,

        Could you elaborate on what you're thinking.

        'plpng' is the same as 'pl' except that when compiled it is linked to the
        GD library version 1.6 (which produces PNG). 'pl' is linked to GD 1.3
        which produces GIF. The source code is the same and is freely
        downloadable from the ploticus web site.

        Steve

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
          Steve,

          I didn't realize the source code was available on the web site, an this is
          the major point of my note.

          Thank you for responding , I'll download it and get to work

          === message truncated ===

          __________________________________
          Discover Yahoo!
          http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
        • Louis Godio
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
            Steve,

            Here's a brief elaboration:

            I'm generating lots of lab data in clusters, real-time. After each cluster
            is generated, I look at line & scatter plots to make a decision as to how
            I should re-set instrument parameters needed for the next cluster. I keep
            repeating this untill I get acceptable plots. The clusters are generated
            by data from lab instruments and c-code that processes the data, then
            outputs the data to a ploticus script file using PROCS GETDATA, AREADEF,
            AXIS, SCATTERPLOT and LINEPLOT. I only want PNG output because I store
            many plots, PNG works well with my other software, and want to keep my
            file size to a minimum.

            The ploticus script works fine but
            I'm convinced I could save lots of time between clusters if I could
            integrate the above PROCS into my c-code program; so based on your note
            below I'm now trying to compile c-code for the above PROCS and gd_png.c.
            I've also downloaded zlib and libpng_1.2.8, and am now trying to compile
            based on modifying the ploticus main() front-end.

            I'd appreciate your views on my approach. Is this an overly ambitious
            quest ? or am I on the right track ?

            Yahoo! Mail
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
              Louis,

              To me this doesn't really sound like it's worth doing, but you know the
              tradeoffs of your particular situation, so of course it's your call. If I
              were considering it I would ask myself if the amount of clock time / CPU
              time / resources to be saved is worth the (significant) amount of personal
              time it will take to dig into the code, understand it, modify it, test it,
              etc. etc.

              -Steve

              Stephen C. Grubb
            • Louis Godio
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
                Steve,
                This is the point of my asking. It not the CPU time that I'm trying to
                save, it's the clock time associated with jumping out of my running code
                and into ploticus...it would be nice to eliminate this time since I often
                do 10-20 runs.

                My idea is to learn what's needed to display SCATTERPLOTs in PNG, then
                just feed SCATTERPLOT the x-y data and a title...
                ..but if your input is that it would take more than a week or so to learn
                this, or that I'm under estimating the complexity of getting SCATTERPLOT
                to display a PNG plot, then I'll move to other endeavors.

                I do value your input on this matter.

                === message truncated ===

                __________________________________
                Discover Yahoo!
                http://discover.yahoo.com/
              • belgabor
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
                  Louis,

                  sorry to barge into your conversation =)
                  Maybe if you list your current workflow in detail and point out
                  exactly where you want to improve it, Steve or I could give some
                  better suggestions on what can be done easily (eg some
                  shell/Makefile/whatever scripting)

                  Cheers
                  Tobias

                • Louis Godio
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
                    Thanks Tobias,
                    I think I'm making good progress on the ploticus c-code for PROCS GETDATA,
                    AREADEF, AXIS, SCATTERPLOT, LINEPLOT and gd_png.c . So far I've assembled
                    the corresponding *.c files into one file along with the ploticus main()
                    front-end.

                    Here's how I plan to use this file:
                    - get it all to compile and run using a simple script
                    - understand how GETDATA stores the plot data
                    - understand how the main() uses AREADEF and AXIS to define the plot area
                    - understand how SCATTERPLOT and LINEPLOT generates PNG output files

                    then I'm ready to achieve integration with my c-code. So far I working on
                    the first step, and making unexpectedly good progress.

                    One final note, my code has no value to anyone but me, and I will be the
                    only one using and running all the code mentioned above.