Re: Question about legends

  • belgabor
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
      Steve,

      thank you very very much! That actually did it =) The exact sytax
      needed was
      Emark( x-(seglen*0.5)-0.1, yy, symcode, radius );

      Would you be interested in a patch on this? Needless to say I don't
      mean a simple change, but something like adding a new option to legend
      (or adding more legendsampletypes, eg "line+symbol2"). I can't promise
      anything at the moment, but if you say you'd accept a patch on this
      basis I'll try to look into it.
      I could also look into adding a frame to the legend, it's probably
      easiest to do so on source code level.

      Cheers
      Tobias

      --- In ploticus@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen C. Grubb" <scg@j...> wrote:
      > Tobias,
      >
      > it looks like it is always going to put 2 symbols in, but the code
      can be
      > easily changed to just show one symbol.
      >
      > to change the src code, edit proc_legend.c
      >
      > else if( LEtype[j] == LEGEND_LINE + LEGEND_SYMBOL ) {
      > /* parm1 is linedetails, parm2 is symboldetails */
      > linedet( &Ltext[LElabel[j]], &Ltext[LEparm1[j]], 1.0 );
      > Emov( x-(seglen+0.1), yy );
      > Elin( x-0.1, yy );
      > symdet( "symbol", &Ltext[LEparm2[j]], symcode, &radius );
      > Emark( x-(seglen), yy, symcode, radius );
      > Emark( x-0.1, yy, symcode, radius );
      > }
      >
      > .... and take out one of the Emark lines
      >
      > .... you may need to adjust eg Emark( x-(seglen*0.5), ... or similar
      >
      > Steve
      >

      > On Tue, 31 May 2005, belgabor wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Steve,
      > >
      > > 1) I feared as much, but thats no real hassle, I can probably live
      > > with #proc rect =)
      > >
      > > 2) Unfortunately either you didn't quite get what I exactly meant, or
      > > there is a bug in the eps renderer.
      > >
      > > What you get (using your example and in my tests) is a legend like:
      > > -O---O Label
      > >
      > > What I need is:
      > > --O-- Label
      > > That is, just one symbol and that centered on the line.
      > >
      > > I hope I made myself clearer now =)
      > >
      > > Cheers
      > > Tobias
      > >
      > > --- In ploticus@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen C. Grubb" <scg@j...> wrote:
      > > > Tobias,
      > > >
      > > > 1) there's no automatic way that I knowof to do a legend frame
      > > >
      > > > 2) here's an example that does this:
      > > >
      > > > #proc getdata
      > > > data: 5
      > > > 6
      > > > 4
      > > > 4.5
      > > > 7
      > > >
      > > > #proc areadef
      > > > yrange: 0 10
      > > > xrange: 0 5
      > > > frame: yes
      > > >
      > > > #proc lineplot
      > > > yfield: 1
      > > > pointsymbol: radius=0.08 shape=triangle style=fill fillcolor=blue
      > > > linedetails: color=red
      > > > legendlabel: Curve 1
      > > > legendsampletype: line+symbol
      > > >
      > > > #proc legend
      > > >

      > > > -Steve

      (easy = not

      > > > Stephen C. Grubb
      > > > Scientific Software Engineer, The Jackson Laboratory
      > > > 600 Main Street Bar Harbor, Maine 04609 USA
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > Stephen C. Grubb
    • Louis Godio
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
        Hi Steve,

        I think ploticus PNG is great and currently use it for output generated by
        the c-code apps I use to analyze my research data.

        It would save me a great deal of time if I could compile c-code
        equivalents for procs areadef, x/yaxis, scatterplot and lineplot (PNG
        output only).

        Do you think this is an advisable quest ? If so, is the source code for
        plpng availible to ploticus users ?

        lgodio@...

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
          Louis,

          Could you elaborate on what you're thinking.

          'plpng' is the same as 'pl' except that when compiled it is linked to the
          GD library version 1.6 (which produces PNG). 'pl' is linked to GD 1.3
          which produces GIF. The source code is the same and is freely
          downloadable from the ploticus web site.

          Steve

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
            Steve,

            I didn't realize the source code was available on the web site, an this is
            the major point of my note.

            Thank you for responding , I'll download it and get to work

            === message truncated ===

            __________________________________
            Discover Yahoo!
            http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
          • Louis Godio
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
              Steve,

              Here's a brief elaboration:

              I'm generating lots of lab data in clusters, real-time. After each cluster
              is generated, I look at line & scatter plots to make a decision as to how
              I should re-set instrument parameters needed for the next cluster. I keep
              repeating this untill I get acceptable plots. The clusters are generated
              by data from lab instruments and c-code that processes the data, then
              outputs the data to a ploticus script file using PROCS GETDATA, AREADEF,
              AXIS, SCATTERPLOT and LINEPLOT. I only want PNG output because I store
              many plots, PNG works well with my other software, and want to keep my
              file size to a minimum.

              The ploticus script works fine but
              I'm convinced I could save lots of time between clusters if I could
              integrate the above PROCS into my c-code program; so based on your note
              below I'm now trying to compile c-code for the above PROCS and gd_png.c.
              I've also downloaded zlib and libpng_1.2.8, and am now trying to compile
              based on modifying the ploticus main() front-end.

              I'd appreciate your views on my approach. Is this an overly ambitious
              quest ? or am I on the right track ?

              Yahoo! Mail
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
                Louis,

                To me this doesn't really sound like it's worth doing, but you know the
                tradeoffs of your particular situation, so of course it's your call. If I
                were considering it I would ask myself if the amount of clock time / CPU
                time / resources to be saved is worth the (significant) amount of personal
                time it will take to dig into the code, understand it, modify it, test it,
                etc. etc.

                -Steve

                Stephen C. Grubb
              • Louis Godio
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
                  Steve,
                  This is the point of my asking. It not the CPU time that I'm trying to
                  save, it's the clock time associated with jumping out of my running code
                  and into ploticus...it would be nice to eliminate this time since I often
                  do 10-20 runs.

                  My idea is to learn what's needed to display SCATTERPLOTs in PNG, then
                  just feed SCATTERPLOT the x-y data and a title...
                  ..but if your input is that it would take more than a week or so to learn
                  this, or that I'm under estimating the complexity of getting SCATTERPLOT
                  to display a PNG plot, then I'll move to other endeavors.

                  I do value your input on this matter.

                  === message truncated ===

                  __________________________________
                  Discover Yahoo!
                  http://discover.yahoo.com/
                • belgabor
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
                    Louis,

                    sorry to barge into your conversation =)
                    Maybe if you list your current workflow in detail and point out
                    exactly where you want to improve it, Steve or I could give some
                    better suggestions on what can be done easily (eg some
                    shell/Makefile/whatever scripting)

                    Cheers
                    Tobias

                  • Louis Godio
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
                      Thanks Tobias,
                      I think I'm making good progress on the ploticus c-code for PROCS GETDATA,
                      AREADEF, AXIS, SCATTERPLOT, LINEPLOT and gd_png.c . So far I've assembled
                      the corresponding *.c files into one file along with the ploticus main()
                      front-end.

                      Here's how I plan to use this file:
                      - get it all to compile and run using a simple script
                      - understand how GETDATA stores the plot data
                      - understand how the main() uses AREADEF and AXIS to define the plot area
                      - understand how SCATTERPLOT and LINEPLOT generates PNG output files

                      then I'm ready to achieve integration with my c-code. So far I working on
                      the first step, and making unexpectedly good progress.

                      One final note, my code has no value to anyone but me, and I will be the
                      only one using and running all the code mentioned above.