Re: [ploticus] Re: Question about legends

    Message 1 of 13 , May 31, 2005
      Tobias,

      it looks like it is always going to put 2 symbols in, but the code can be
      easily changed to just show one symbol.

      to change the src code, edit proc_legend.c

      else if( LEtype[j] == LEGEND_LINE + LEGEND_SYMBOL ) {
      /* parm1 is linedetails, parm2 is symboldetails */
      linedet( &Ltext[LElabel[j]], &Ltext[LEparm1[j]], 1.0 );
      Emov( x-(seglen+0.1), yy );
      Elin( x-0.1, yy );
      symdet( "symbol", &Ltext[LEparm2[j]], symcode, &radius );
      Emark( x-(seglen), yy, symcode, radius );
      Emark( x-0.1, yy, symcode, radius );
      }

      .... and take out one of the Emark lines

      .... you may need to adjust eg Emark( x-(seglen*0.5), ... or similar

      Steve

      Stephen C. Grubb
    • belgabor
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1 2:29 AM
        Steve,

        thank you very very much! That actually did it =) The exact sytax
        needed was
        Emark( x-(seglen*0.5)-0.1, yy, symcode, radius );

        Would you be interested in a patch on this? Needless to say I don't
        mean a simple change, but something like adding a new option to legend
        (or adding more legendsampletypes, eg "line+symbol2"). I can't promise
        anything at the moment, but if you say you'd accept a patch on this
        basis I'll try to look into it.
        I could also look into adding a frame to the legend, it's probably
        easiest to do so on source code level.

      • Louis Godio
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2 7:53 AM
          Hi Steve,

          I think ploticus PNG is great and currently use it for output generated by
          the c-code apps I use to analyze my research data.

          It would save me a great deal of time if I could compile c-code
          equivalents for procs areadef, x/yaxis, scatterplot and lineplot (PNG
          output only).

          Do you think this is an advisable quest ? If so, is the source code for
          plpng availible to ploticus users ?

          lgodio@...

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2 8:59 AM
            Louis,

            Could you elaborate on what you're thinking.

            'plpng' is the same as 'pl' except that when compiled it is linked to the
            GD library version 1.6 (which produces PNG). 'pl' is linked to GD 1.3
            which produces GIF. The source code is the same and is freely
            downloadable from the ploticus web site.

            Steve

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 2 10:41 AM
              Steve,

              I didn't realize the source code was available on the web site, an this is
              the major point of my note.

              Thank you for responding , I'll download it and get to work

              === message truncated ===

              __________________________________
              Discover Yahoo!
              http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
            • Louis Godio
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 3 8:06 AM
                Steve,

                Here's a brief elaboration:

                I'm generating lots of lab data in clusters, real-time. After each cluster
                is generated, I look at line & scatter plots to make a decision as to how
                I should re-set instrument parameters needed for the next cluster. I keep
                repeating this untill I get acceptable plots. The clusters are generated
                by data from lab instruments and c-code that processes the data, then
                outputs the data to a ploticus script file using PROCS GETDATA, AREADEF,
                AXIS, SCATTERPLOT and LINEPLOT. I only want PNG output because I store
                many plots, PNG works well with my other software, and want to keep my
                file size to a minimum.

                The ploticus script works fine but
                I'm convinced I could save lots of time between clusters if I could
                integrate the above PROCS into my c-code program; so based on your note
                below I'm now trying to compile c-code for the above PROCS and gd_png.c.
                I've also downloaded zlib and libpng_1.2.8, and am now trying to compile
                based on modifying the ploticus main() front-end.

                I'd appreciate your views on my approach. Is this an overly ambitious
                quest ? or am I on the right track ?

                Yahoo! Mail
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 3 9:44 AM
                  Louis,

                  To me this doesn't really sound like it's worth doing, but you know the
                  tradeoffs of your particular situation, so of course it's your call. If I
                  were considering it I would ask myself if the amount of clock time / CPU
                  time / resources to be saved is worth the (significant) amount of personal
                  time it will take to dig into the code, understand it, modify it, test it,
                  etc. etc.

                  -Steve

                  Stephen C. Grubb
                • Louis Godio
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 3 10:36 AM
                    Steve,
                    This is the point of my asking. It not the CPU time that I'm trying to
                    save, it's the clock time associated with jumping out of my running code
                    and into ploticus...it would be nice to eliminate this time since I often
                    do 10-20 runs.

                    My idea is to learn what's needed to display SCATTERPLOTs in PNG, then
                    just feed SCATTERPLOT the x-y data and a title...
                    ..but if your input is that it would take more than a week or so to learn
                    this, or that I'm under estimating the complexity of getting SCATTERPLOT
                    to display a PNG plot, then I'll move to other endeavors.

                    I do value your input on this matter.

                    === message truncated ===

                    __________________________________
                    Discover Yahoo!
                    http://discover.yahoo.com/
                  • belgabor
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 3 11:08 AM
                      Louis,

                      sorry to barge into your conversation =)
                      Maybe if you list your current workflow in detail and point out
                      exactly where you want to improve it, Steve or I could give some
                      better suggestions on what can be done easily (eg some
                      shell/Makefile/whatever scripting)

                      Cheers
                      Tobias

                    • Louis Godio
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 3 1:38 PM
                        Thanks Tobias,
                        I think I'm making good progress on the ploticus c-code for PROCS GETDATA,
                        AREADEF, AXIS, SCATTERPLOT, LINEPLOT and gd_png.c . So far I've assembled
                        the corresponding *.c files into one file along with the ploticus main()
                        front-end.

                        Here's how I plan to use this file:
                        - get it all to compile and run using a simple script
                        - understand how GETDATA stores the plot data
                        - understand how the main() uses AREADEF and AXIS to define the plot area
                        - understand how SCATTERPLOT and LINEPLOT generates PNG output files

                        then I'm ready to achieve integration with my c-code. So far I working on
                        the first step, and making unexpectedly good progress.

                        One final note, my code has no value to anyone but me, and I will be the
                        only one using and running all the code mentioned above.