Re: compile problem - Suse 64bit - x11 headers not found

    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2005
      Benjamin, it appears that some X11 header files couldn't be found.

      The Makefile looks for X11 header files in /usr/X11R6/include ...
      maybe yours are in a different place, or maybe you don't have X11 on
      your system. WHat do you see if you type these commands:

      cd /usr
      ls

      #### For Linux uncomment the following.. #######################
      XLIBS = -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -lX11
      INCLUDEDIRS = -I/usr/X11R6/include

      #### Note: for 64 bit platform I used: XLIBS = -L/usr/X11R6/lib64

      On 4/29/05, Benjamin Hak-Fung Chiao <benjamin.chiao@...> wrote:
      > Hi Steve:
      >
      > I have been spending over 10 hrs now and can't make ploticus to work. I'd
      > appreciate it if you could shed some light on me.
      >
      > Attached please find the error msg.
      >
      > I am using SuSe (latest version) on a 64bit machine. I used Yast to check
      > that xlib and libpng are installed but I can't even finished the make
      > process of ploticus without seeing the error message when I tried to compile
      >
      > the 231 version.
      >
      > Thanks a lot of your great help.
      > Benjamin

    • Benjamin Hak-Fung Chiao
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2005
        Thanks Steve.

        Now I fixed the problem a few days ago, I will try to recollect  my memories. What I did are:
        1. Turned off X capabilities in the Makefile
        2. Compile based on the files untarred from pl231src.tar.gz
        3. Compilation is succesful. But when I type pl. I got a message saying something like libpng.so.2 (or 3?) not found. So I searched the web and saw one fix, which says that I should issue: ln libpng.so.2 libpng.so.3 or ln libpng.so.3 libpng.so.2.  Either way, I don't remember exactly
        4. Even before I fixed the error 1 week ago, fyi, I have uncommentted the following.
         #### For Linux uncomment the following.. #######################
        XLIBS = -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -lX11
        INCLUDEDIRS = -I/usr/X11R6/include

        FYI. Under /usr, I see X11, X11R6, lib64, x86_64-suse-linux directories. I would like, however, be able to use X capabilities in the near future. Without X, it has what I needed for this month.

        Thanks again for your reply.
        Benjamin