gapmissing

  • romeyde
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7 5:45 AM
      Having an issue with gapmissing and lineplots. Or maybe I'm not
      understanding it?

      I have data that looks like this. There should be a data element
      every 5 minutes. I'm missing one between 12:30 and 12:40. I set
      gapmissing for the lineplot to autosmall, thinking it would show the
      gap between 12:30 and 12:40. Instead, I just end up with a flat line
      between connecting 322-325. Is there a way to get Ploticus to show
      the gap or do I need to look for missing data before processing and
      fill in the 0's myself?

      .
      .
      .
      04/06/05.12:15 363
      04/06/05.12:20 364
      04/06/05.12:25 352
      04/06/05.12:30 322
      04/06/05.12:40 325
      04/06/05.12:45 349
      04/06/05.12:50 315
      04/06/05.12:55 350
      04/06/05.13:00 350
      04/06/05.13:05 345
      04/06/05.13:10 289
      .
      .
      .
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7 8:38 AM

        gapmissing: auto (and gapmissing: autosmall) operate by checking the first
        two rows of your data to get an idea of the "expected interval".. then
        any gap bigger than this interval should be shown with a gap. Are your
        first two data rows 5 seconds apart?

        If you can't get it to work feel free to send me a data file and script
        that I can use to reproduce the problem here.

        -Steve

        On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, romeyde wrote:

        > Having an issue with gapmissing and lineplots. Or maybe I'm not
        > understanding it?
        >
        > I have data that looks like this. There should be a data element
        > every 5 minutes. I'm missing one between 12:30 and 12:40. I set
        > gapmissing for the lineplot to autosmall, thinking it would show the
        > gap between 12:30 and 12:40. Instead, I just end up with a flat line
        > between connecting 322-325. Is there a way to get Ploticus to show
        > the gap or do I need to look for missing data before processing and
        > fill in the 0's myself?
        >
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > 04/06/05.12:15 363
        > 04/06/05.12:20 364
        > 04/06/05.12:25 352
        > 04/06/05.12:30 322
        > 04/06/05.12:40 325
        > 04/06/05.12:45 349
        > 04/06/05.12:50 315
        > 04/06/05.12:55 350
        > 04/06/05.13:00 350
        > 04/06/05.13:05 345
        > 04/06/05.13:10 289
        > .
        > .
        > .

      • Romeyn, Derek
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7 11:46 AM
          My data is always in five minute increments.  I guess it's possible that on rare rare occasions, that the first two elements would be 10 minutes apart but that wasn't the case today.  I'm currently using pl220 on this server but had the same problem with pl231.  Hadn't switched to pl231 on this server yet because the binary download for pl231 doesn't support PNG.

          top of the two data files:

          AAA_yesterday

          04/05/05.14:45  aaa    309
          04/05/05.14:50  aaa    301
          04/05/05.14:55  aaa    336
          .
          .
          .

          AAA

          04/06/05.14:45  aaa    351
          04/06/05.14:50  aaa    352
          04/06/05.14:55  aaa    299
          .
          .
          .

          #call $setdatefmt( "mm/dd/yy.hh:mm" )
          #set xmax = $todaysdate()
          #set MAX = $getenv(MAX)
          #set LABEL = $getenv(LABEL)
          #set YESTERDAY = $getenv(YESTERDAY)

          #proc getdata
          file: $TODAY
          delim: tab
          fieldnames: datetime site users

          #proc areadef
          title: @title
          titledetails: align=L size=16 style=B color=darkblue
          rectangle: 1 1 7.6 2.0
          yaxis.stubs: inc
          yaxis.stubdetails: color=black adjust=0.10,0 size=4
          yaxis.tics: none
          yaxis.grid: color=gray(0.9)
          yaxis.gridlineextent: min max-0.02
          yrange: 0 @MAX
          xscaletype: datetime mm/dd/yy.hh:mm
          xrange: @xmax.08:00 @xmax.22:00
          frame: yes

          #proc xaxis
          stubs: inc 1 hour
          stubformat: hhA
          stubdetails: size=4
          tics: yes
          minortics: yes
          minorticinc: 0.50 hours

          // make line plot
          #proc lineplot
          legendlabel: Today
          linedetails: color=blue width=1
          yfield: users
          xfield: datetime
          clip: yes
          gapmissing: autosmall

          #proc getdata
          file: $YESTERDAY_FILE
          delim: tab
          fieldnames: datetime site users

          #set xmax = $dateadd( @xmax, -@YESTERDAY )

          #proc areadef
          rectangle: 1 1 7.6 2.0
          yrange: 0 @MAX
          xscaletype: datetime mm/dd/yy.hh:mm
          xrange: @xmax.08:00 @xmax.22:00

          // make line plot
          #proc lineplot
          legendlabel: @LABEL
          linedetails: color=red width=0.5 style=2
          yfield: users
          xfield: datetime
          gapmissing: autosmall
          clip: yes

          #proc legend
          location: max-1.25 max+0.20
          format: singleline
          seglen: 0.15
          sep: 0.45

          gapmissing: auto (and gapmissing: autosmall) operate by checking the first
          two rows of your data to get an idea of the "expected interval"..  then
          any gap bigger than this interval should be shown with a gap.  Are your
          first two data rows 5 seconds apart?

          If you can't get it to work feel free to send me a data file and script
          that I can use to reproduce the problem here.

          -Steve

          On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, romeyde wrote:

          > Having an issue with gapmissing and lineplots.  Or maybe I'm not
          > understanding it?
          >
          > I have data that looks like this.  There should be a data element
          > every 5 minutes.  I'm missing one between 12:30 and 12:40.  I set
          > gapmissing for the lineplot to autosmall, thinking it would show the
          > gap between 12:30 and 12:40.  Instead, I just end up with a flat line
          > between connecting 322-325.  Is there a way to get Ploticus to show
          > the gap or do I need to look for missing data before processing and
          > fill in the 0's myself?
          >
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > 04/06/05.12:15  363
          > 04/06/05.12:20  364
          > 04/06/05.12:25  352
          > 04/06/05.12:30  322
          > 04/06/05.12:40  325
          > 04/06/05.12:45  349
          > 04/06/05.12:50  315
          > 04/06/05.12:55  350
          > 04/06/05.13:00  350
          > 04/06/05.13:05  345
          > 04/06/05.13:10  289
          > .
          > .
          > .
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Stephen C. Grubb    scg@...
            600 Main Street  Bar Harbor, Maine 04609 USA

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8 6:25 AM

            I'll be glad to investigate but I'll need a bigger data file that contains
            a skip, so I can reproduce the problem here. I've got your script, all I
            need is the data.

            Steve