Re: Polar or Spider Plots?

  • dagoldman
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
      I didn't see Jamie's example (deleted from tmp directory?).
      But I looked around at some other pages with star plots,
      or spider plots or whatever they're called.

      http://www.math.yorku.ca/SCS/sugi/sugi16-paper.html
      http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/starplot.htm
      http://www.caesarsystems.com/ecovr_spid.htm

      Personally, I wasn't too impressed with the star plots.
      I found them hard to use. I think if there are few points,
      other display types are better. If there are a lot of points,
      star plots may be better, but there is just too much data
      anyway. And is a bunch of star plots really better than a bunch
      of bar charts? If just one spider plot is used, I agree it ends
      up looking like a "crazy spiderweb". Is a single spider plot
      really better than a single lineplot with a bunch of lines?
      Both make the mistake of connecting categories with lines,
      which is misleading. I think its better to use a bar chart
      on a subset of the data, or just use a bunch of bar charts.

      Daniel