Help with grid lines

  • Robert Chin
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2004
      Please help, I don't understand why I am ONLY getting gridlines at
      Stub locations but not tic locations

      Chart here:
      http://tinypic.com/eljrk

      Code:
      #proc areadef
      areaname z0
      title: Historical Valuation: @TICKER\n@titlecompany
      titledetails: align=C size=10 style=B
      rectangle: 1 1 5.75 3
      xscaletype: date dd-Mmm-yyyy
      xautorange: datafield=1
      yautorange: datafield=5 lowfix=@LOW_FIX
      yaxis.location: 0.99
      yaxis.grid: color=gray(0.8)
      yaxis.gridskip: max
      yaxis.label: @Y_LABEL
      yaxis.labeldetails: size=10
      yaxis.labeldistance: 0.4
      yaxis.stubs: inc @YAXIS_INC
      yaxis.ticincrement: 1
      yaxis.minorticinc: 1

      #endproc
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 29, 2004
        Robert,

        Grid lines are associated with stubs. If no stubs are being generated but
        tics _are_ being generated, then grid lines are associated with the tics.
        Grid lines can't be associated with minor tics. I'll check the axis docs
        to be sure this is made clear.

        Overlaying 2 areadefs

        A useful technique for added flexibility is to overlay 2 (or more)
        areadefs. In the first areadef do your stubs the way you want them, and
        in the 2nd one do your tics / grid lines. Use the same rectangle or
        areaname for both. You can make the 2nd one inherit the xrange and yrange
        from the first one by using

        xrange: @XMIN @XMAX
        yrange: @YMIN @YMAX

        this lets you avoid autoscaling or other complicated operations the 2nd
        time around. @XINC and @YINC may also be useful, see
        http://ploticus.sf.net/doc/variables.html#system

        Steve

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 29, 2004
          Robert, actually this is a more precise way of saying it:

          Grid lines are associated with stubs. If no stubs are being generated,
          grid lines can be controlled using ticincrement (whether or not tics are
          being generated). Grid lines are never associated with minor tics.