prefab dist overlays

  • Marshall Rose
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2002
      hi. i started using ploticus, and it rocks: zero to nice graphs in about 10 minutes!

      so, here's the obligatory first question:

      i'm making heavy use of the dist prefab. what i would like to be able to do is have one graph with several (between 10 to 20) overlays.

      the way i'm sort of emulating this now is by using the vbar prefab, e.g.,

      vbars ... erronly=yes stubvert=yes

      where the input set looks like this

      label (max-min)/2 (max+min)/2

      and label is a string containing the simple average.

      obviously, this doesn't show the true distribution, but visually it lets me roughly compare each input set.

      what i'd like opinions on is how to get rid of the "rough" part. the sort of obvious thing is that the input set should look like

      label y0 y1 y2 ... yN

      and that each bar that's rendered should be color-coded to reflect the density of the distribution. however, for someone who started using ploticus yesterday afternoon, that's probably a bit ambitious.

      so, i'm hoping folks have comments as to a way to better visualize things.

      thanks!

      /mtr
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2002
        Marshall,

        The prefabs exist to simplify "standard" plotting tasks. More elaborate
        problems can be addressed by writing a script.

        I assume you are thinking of showing your 10-20 distributions as curves
        using colored lines.

        I would probably attack this by copying the dist prefab, omitting the bars
        portion and just leaving the curvefit. Then put the whole thing in a loop
        over the 10-20 data fields. Then run the result as a script. If you want,
        send me a sample data file and I will try to take a stab at it.

        -Steve

        On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Marshall Rose wrote:

        > hi. i started using ploticus, and it rocks: zero to nice graphs in about 10 minutes!
        >
        > so, here's the obligatory first question:
        >
        > i'm making heavy use of the dist prefab. what i would like to be able
        > to do is have one graph with several (between 10 to 20) overlays.
        >
        > the way i'm sort of emulating this now is by using the vbar prefab, e.g.,
        >
        > vbars ... erronly=yes stubvert=yes
        >
        > where the input set looks like this
        >
        > label (max-min)/2 (max+min)/2
        >
        > and label is a string containing the simple average.
        >
        > obviously, this doesn't show the true distribution, but visually it
        > lets me roughly compare each input set.
        >
        > what i'd like opinions on is how to get rid of the "rough" part. the
        > sort of obvious thing is that the input set should look like
        >
        > label y0 y1 y2 ... yN
        >
        > and that each bar that's rendered should be color-coded to reflect the
        > density of the distribution. however, for someone who started using
        > ploticus yesterday afternoon, that's probably a bit ambitious.
        >
        > so, i'm hoping folks have comments as to a way to better visualize things.
        >
        > thanks!
        >
        > /mtr

      • Marshall Rose
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2002
          > Marshall,
          >
          > The prefabs exist to simplify "standard" plotting tasks. More elaborate
          > problems can be addressed by writing a script.
          >
          > I assume you are thinking of showing your 10-20 distributions as curves
          > using colored lines.
          >
          > I would probably attack this by copying the dist prefab, omitting the bars
          > portion and just leaving the curvefit. Then put the whole thing in a loop
          > over the 10-20 data fields. Then run the result as a script. If you want,
          > send me a sample data file and I will try to take a stab at it.

          hi. yes, that's what i'd like to do. attached is the data file. give me a few pointers and perhaps i can figure the scripting part out (any help appreciated).

          thanks!

          /mtr

          pl -prefab vbars x=1 y=3 err=4 erronly=yes data=data3a delim=tab \
          xgrid=yes ygrid=yes barwidth=0.08 stubvert=yes