auto position lineplot legend

  • dagoldman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2004
      I'm automatically generating lineplots. Each lineplot
      will have same basic structure, but different data, so
      NRECORDS and NFIELDS will differ for each lineplot.

      Here are two examples, with legend in arbitrary position:

      http://www.ehdp.com/out/730jhwmt-lpt.png
      http://www.ehdp.com/out/730cykyg-lpt.png

      Question - Is there a way to reliably position lineplot legend
      so it does not overlap or stretch way to right? I know I could
      position the legend by hand, but that is not exactly an option
      for automated situation. Is there a way to reserve some space
      for the legend, say for a multiline legend to right of lineplot,
      and put it there? I tried using singleline below lineplot, and
      limit NFIELDS to 10, but the legend often stretches way to right.

      I'm willing to experiment more, but don't want to reinvent the
      wheel. I didn't see this discussed previously.

      Probably not needed, but here is link to script for example 1:
      http://www.ehdp.com/out/pl-7-30-04.txt

      BTW - The lineplots will be placed within a web page with
      details concerning the analysis. Here is a pie chart example:

      http://www.ehdp.com/vn/rw/results/cgi/cau1/dgw/eg2/728nppth-pie-
      png.htm

      ploticus is really a great program.

      Daniel Goldman
    • dagoldman
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
        The method in curvefit3 will probably work to put on right,
        as long as not too many lines - location: max+0.5 max

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
          Daniel, can't you just position the legend adjacent to the plotting area,
          like off to the right of it? I'm not sure I understand the issue.

          Steve

          On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, dagoldman wrote:

          > I'm automatically generating lineplots. Each lineplot
          > will have same basic structure, but different data, so
          > NRECORDS and NFIELDS will differ for each lineplot.
          >
          > Here are two examples, with legend in arbitrary position:
          >
          > http://www.ehdp.com/out/730jhwmt-lpt.png
          > http://www.ehdp.com/out/730cykyg-lpt.png
          >
          > Question - Is there a way to reliably position lineplot legend
          > so it does not overlap or stretch way to right? I know I could
          > position the legend by hand, but that is not exactly an option
          > for automated situation. Is there a way to reserve some space
          > for the legend, say for a multiline legend to right of lineplot,
          > and put it there? I tried using singleline below lineplot, and
          > limit NFIELDS to 10, but the legend often stretches way to right.
          >
          > I'm willing to experiment more, but don't want to reinvent the
          > wheel. I didn't see this discussed previously.
          >
          > Probably not needed, but here is link to script for example 1:
          > http://www.ehdp.com/out/pl-7-30-04.txt
          >
          > BTW - The lineplots will be placed within a web page with
          > details concerning the analysis. Here is a pie chart example:
          >
          > http://www.ehdp.com/vn/rw/results/cgi/cau1/dgw/eg2/728nppth-pie-
          > png.htm
          >
          > ploticus is really a great program.
          >
          > Daniel Goldman