1518Re: PNG output generation from procs Lineplot & ScatterPlot

  • belgabor
    Jun 3, 2005
      Louis,

      sorry to barge into your conversation =)
      Maybe if you list your current workflow in detail and point out
      exactly where you want to improve it, Steve or I could give some
      better suggestions on what can be done easily (eg some
      shell/Makefile/whatever scripting)

      Cheers
      Tobias

      --- In ploticus@yahoogroups.com, Louis Godio <lgodio@y...> wrote:
> [...]
      > This is the point of my asking. It not the CPU time that I'm trying to
      > save, it's the clock time associated with jumping out of my running
      code
      > and into ploticus...it would be nice to eliminate this time since I
      often
      > do 10-20 runs.
      >
      > My idea is to learn what's needed to display SCATTERPLOTs in PNG, then
      > just feed SCATTERPLOT the x-y data and a title...
      > ..but if your input is that it would take more than a week or so to
      learn
      > this, or that I'm under estimating the complexity of getting SCATTERPLOT
      > to display a PNG plot, then I'll move to other endeavors.
      >
      > I do value your input on this matter.
      >
      > --- "Stephen C. Grubb" <scg@j...> wrote:
      >
      > > Louis,
      > >
      > > To me this doesn't really sound like it's worth doing, but you
      know the
      > > tradeoffs of your particular situation, so of course it's your
      call. If
      > > were considering it I would ask myself if the amount of clock time
      / CPU
      > > time / resources to be saved is worth the (significant) amount of
      > > personal
      > > time it will take to dig into the code, understand it, modify it, test
      > > it,
      > > etc. etc.
      > >
      > > -Steve
      > >

      > > On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Louis Godio wrote:
      > >
      > > > Steve,
      > > >
      > > > Here's a brief elaboration:
      > > >
      > > > I'm generating lots of lab data in clusters, real-time. After each
      > > cluster
      > > > is generated, I look at line & scatter plots to make a decision
      as to
      > > how
      > > > I should re-set instrument parameters needed for the next cluster. I
      > > keep
      > > > repeating this untill I get acceptable plots. The clusters are
      > > generated
      > > > by data from lab instruments and c-code that processes the data,
      then
      > > > outputs the data to a ploticus script file using PROCS GETDATA,
      > > AREADEF,
      > > > AXIS, SCATTERPLOT and LINEPLOT. I only want PNG output because I
      store
      > > > many plots, PNG works well with my other software, and want to
      keep my
      > > > file size to a minimum.
      > > >
      > > > The ploticus script works fine but
      > > > I'm convinced I could save lots of time between clusters if I could
      > > > integrate the above PROCS into my c-code program; so based on your
      > > note
      > > > below I'm now trying to compile c-code for the above PROCS and
      > > gd_png.c.
      > > > I've also downloaded zlib and libpng_1.2.8, and am now trying to
      > > compile
      > > > based on modifying the ploticus main() front-end.
      > > >
      > > > I'd appreciate your views on my approach. Is this an overly

      thesis.
      > > plots.

      > > need
      > >
      > === message truncated ===

      > Discover Yahoo!
      > Use Yahoo! to plan a weekend, have fun online and more. Check it out!
      > http://discover.yahoo.com/
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic