FW: Iron Horse/Fort George Back-to-Back Tastings

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2013

      Hi Folks,  Just delivered a new heat exchanger to Dave @ Salmon Creek Brewing yesterday. New beers will be on the way. Here is the latest tasting from Arlene.  Marc

      From: By the Bottle [mailto:arlene@...] On Behalf Of By the Bottle
      Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:36 PM
      To: pubsofportlandtours@...
      Subject: Iron Horse/Fort George Back-to-Back Tastings

      Iron Horse Brewery & Fort George Back-to-Back Tastings!

      Thursday, March 7th & Friday, March 8th

      Iron Horse Brewing Washington Release Party

      Thursday, March 7, 2013
      6p to 8p
      Tasting fee: $4.00, cash only

      By the Bottle proudly presents Iron Horse Brewing for their Washington release party! Iron Horse Brewing has been one of the most sought after breweries at By the Bottle. Why? Not only because they brew some of the best craft brews available, but because they have never been distributed, anywhere, in the typical fashion. When you can't get it, guess what, you want it even more. When By the Bottle offered their beers in the past, it was because we literally met a driver in a parking lot somewhere in the midst of their previous self-distribution deliveries.

      Iron Horse doesn't adhere to traditional styles, but rather combine flavors and aromas that give their craft beer its' distinct taste. Yes, they are probably best known for Quilter's Irish Death, but they also have many more brews to please just about any palette. For now, their initial release to Washington includes their famous Irish Death, a specialty dark ale, and Double Rainbow, another specialty ale most closely resembling a Red IPA.

      The Iron Horse story is very unconventional, but it is a true testament to follow your dreams. Once they figured out they were making craft beers for PEOPLE, not for other reasons, the rest is history. To find out how Iron Horse made something out of very little, to become what they are today, click here.

      Please join us to welcome Iron Horse Brewing to Washington .

      Tasting Menu: we will be sampling both of these beers from bottles, but they will both be available on draft to enjoy a pint or two, enjoy!

      Double Rainbow
      Not quite red, not quite IPA but quite big. This beer is built upon a solid malt foundation of medium crystal, biscuit, and Vienna for a considerable dose of toffee, bread and nutty flavors and aromas. Rainbow 1 = MALT; Rainbow 2 = HOPS: A double rainbow of flavors. 7.0% ABV. Tastes great with Old Ivy Taproom's Ol' Blue Eyes burger with blue cheese and pancetta.

      Quilter's Irish Death
      Quilter's Irish Death is a dark, smooth, ale. Any attempt at classifying it just ends up sending beer geeks into a style guidelines frenzy. So forget style guidelines. Just be prepared for smooth dark deliciousness and beer candy. Despite the surprising approachability, this beer weighs in at a hefty 7.8% ABV. Tastes great with Old Ivy Taproom's Cuvano, a slow-cooked spicy pork sandwich with black forest ham, cheese and stone ground mustard and pickles.

      Fort George Brewing Tasting Event
      Friday, March 8, 2013
      6p to 8p
      Tasting fee: $5.00, cash only

      Fort George, opened for business March 11, 2007. At the end of that year they were ranked 57th for quantity sold in Oregon , with 415 barrels. By the end of 2012, it was the 15th largest, with more than 6,200 barrels, just behind Laurelwood Public House and Brewery in Portland . To this day, Fort George has continued to impress Beerdos with their ever increasing line-up of delicious and highly innovative brews. Their beers bring people together, and their Astoria , Oregon location is a must-do destination.

      We invite you to sample Fort George 's highly quaffable brews from their signature 16-ounce cans of bliss, and on draft at Old Ivy Tap Room.

      Beer Menu sampled from cans:

      1811 Lager-5.1% abv
      Arlene's Pick: favorite lager
      Brewer's notes: More flavorful than most modern lagers, and fermented at warmer temperatures, 1811 is lovingly concocted from 2 row malted barley and cracked maize; corn was a popular beer ingredient in pre-Prohibition days. 1811's hop character gives it a distinctive Northwest style worthy of Astoria 's 200-year history.
      Arlene's notes: This lager should be in everyone's fridge 365 days a year, 24/7, there you go.

      Quick Wit-5.2% abv
      Brewer's notes: A Belgian Style ale that's very pale and cloudy in appearance due it being unfiltered and its high level of wheat. Wit beer is traditionally brewed with coriander and orange zest.  Ours uses organic pale and wheat malts, ground coriander, organic lemongrass (to impart a citrus character) and wild-crafted elderflower. There is no bitterness evident in this beer whatsoever, which gives your palate room to explore the smooth wheat malt and tantalizingly exotic spices that will quietly entertain your thirst.

      Sunrise Oatmeal Pale Ale-5.2% abv
      Brewer's notes:
      Nice and Creamy session-style American Pale Ale.  Good beer for drinking anytime of the day, even when the sun is rising, due to its dry nature with Mild bitterness and lovely hop aroma.  This beer is based on the first beer ever produced at the Fort George Brewery, Beer#1, We decided to add 50 lbs of Oatmeal to make it even better. Famous quote: "I'll have just one more OPA, please." This beer has become a staff staple.

      Vortex IPA-7.7% abv
      Brewer's notes: With generous additions of Amarillo , Simcoe and Centennial hops throughout the brewing, fermentation and conditioning phases, balanced with heaps of organic pale malt, we designed this to not rip the taste buds off your tongue, but rather vigorously stimulate them and your palate into a lupulin-ecstacy of pleasure.  During the cross-country truck trip our brewery made to find its home in Astoria it was nearly scattered to the cornfields of Nebraska by a tornado. We try to capture some of nature's intensity in every pint.

      Cavatica Stout: 8.8% abv
      Brewer's notes: An immense, bold, black as night, American stout beauty; Cavatica is no dry Irish anything, one sip and you'll surely take notice of what you're drinking. The name honors this brewer's affinity with arachnia. Be forewarned, this beer will stain your clothes. This is Fort George 's house stout that has gained a reputation for being mighty and contagious among the locals.

      Beer Menu sampled on draft:

      Vortex-same notes as above