Calculate IBU's

  • Michel
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
      I have wanted to calculate the IBU's of my beer but couldn't find any calculations that included dry hopping. Does anyone have a good IBU calculation that includes dry hopping?
    • Marc
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2010

                                                  I’ll send this out to the whole group as this is another question that comes up occasionally.

                          The calculation for dry hopped IBUs is very simple. Take the total alpha acid % X  the number of ounces of hops used  X  0 (zero) !!!!

              Just joking but not really – dry hopping adds no additional bittering. Heat is required to extract any of the bittering properties from hops. This process is called “isomerazation” and essentially means the release and combining of volatile oils into a liquid. The boiling wort causes the bursting of the cells in the hop lupulin glands and allows the oils in those cells to go into solution. This is also why hop utilization is higher when using pelletized hops. The process of compressing the whole hop flowers into pellets ruptures many of the lupulin glands prior to boiling. This provides for higher utilization especially in the hop additions of 30 minutes or less.

             Speaking of hops - time to go out and pick some of my hops to take down to Lucky Lab this afternoon for brewing their beer “The Mutt” .

        Marc

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 12, 2010
          Howdy Mr. Prime Fermenter,

          I have hops. Green hops with yellow golden dust!!!
          I was simply going to cut the whole vine down and pick them off stick them in a cookie tray and put them in the oven for 20 minutes at 225. Any better suggestions?

          Storage...If you don't have a vacuum bag system what is the best mode?
          Can you simply pack and place them in a zip lock freezer bag and freeze?

          In hops we trust,

          -Adam

        • Marc
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 13, 2010

            If not interested in a lot of hop processing detail hit delete !!

            Hi Adam,

                    I will send this to the whole group as, again, these are questions that come up often – especially this time of year.  DO NOT put your hops in the oven at 225. You will end up with baked hops. Hops are normally dried at temperatures in the 125 to 135 range with plenty of air movement. I have oven dried hops before but with a convection oven set at it’s lowest setting of 140. It’s a pain and takes a long time for very little hops. Your hops right now are at about 75% moisture content. Ideally they need to be dried down to about 7 – 9% moisture. Bryce was just up to my house last week and picked 4.5 lb. of Cascades. Those dried down to 1 lb. packaged so you can now estimate about what you will need to harvest (wet weight). Normal is about a 75% weight reduction.

                    A good home drying method is to simply lay the hops out (only one cone deep) on newspapers on the garage floor and cover with another layer of newspaper. The paper help to draw moisture. Your hops will be dried in about 2 days dependent upon the relative humidity level. To dry mine I have constructed a box made from 1 x 6” pine board with screen wire nailed in to make a bottom. This box is approx. 2.5 x 2.5 ft. I suspend it between 2 lawn chairs and put a fan underneath set on low to blow up through the bed of hops. I fill the box about 4 “ deep. Hops are dried in about 12 – 18 hours. I occasionally fluff them around during that period. I have seen folks use old screen doors for the same general purpose.

                    As for packaging. The best method is to use the food saver bagging system to evacuate all of the air from the bags. Air is your enemy and over time will oxidize your hops and cause “cheesy” flavors and aromas. If you are only using zip lock bags pack the hops in tight, zip the bag almost closed and then squeeze as much air as possible out of the bag then finish closing. If you have a CO2 bottle flushing the bags with CO2 really helps also. Additionally I would take several of your smaller zip lock bags that are filled and put them in a larger zip lock to double bag them.

                     Hope this helps you and few others at harvest time – right now !!!

            Marc

          • pabaker76@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 13, 2010
              Another method that works well is to put thee hops into paper shopping bags and toss around occasionally so they dry evenly. DO NOT forget to shake the bags occasionally or they will mold. I did this last year, my first year and it worked well.

              In addition to pressing out the air in the ziplock, you can suck out quite a bit before sealing.

              From: "Marc" <marc_alpha_king@...>
              Sender: plato_republic@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 08:00:17 -0700
              To: <plato_republic@yahoogroups.com>