FW: Late Breaking Tapping News !!

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2010

      From: Janet [mailto:jd_queenoftarts@...]
      Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2010 10:27 AM
      To: ' plato_republic@yahoogroups.com '
      Cc: ' Thierry@... '
      Subject: Late Breaking Tapping News !!

      Check this out down at Belmont Station tonight @ 5:00 pm. !!!  Marc

      While brewing the legendary Imperial IPA, Pliny the Younger, this year Russian River 's Vinnie Cilurzo decided to have a little fun and brew a very small batch of beer in tribute to the son Pliny the Younger desired but never had.

      Since brewing an even bigger IPA seemed ludicrous Cilurzo instead used the second runnings of the Younger to brew a small beer that he then proceeded to overload with hops to a degree that exceeded even its relatives. "This beer tests the physical limitations of how much hop resin can be absorbed by a liquid" boasts Cilurzo. "I'm not going to claim it's 1000 IBU " (perhaps a stab at a recent Mikkeller brag) "but it most definitely challenges even the most avowed hopheads' tolerance for bitterness." In addition the quintuple dry-hopping employed on such a light bodied beer results in aromatics that can be smelt clear across the room by merely opening the tap to fill a glass.

      An extremely limited amount of Pliny the Unborn was produced. One small keg will be tapped here tonight at 5PM.

      When we tested the beer here at Belmont Station we noted an almost greenish tint, perhaps from the extraordinary hopping. Our first thought was that we should have  released it on St. Patricks Day. However we decided instead a beer this foolish could only be released on the first of April!