This week's beer events !!

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2010

               Yes, I made it back from Key West where the temp. was just about the same as here with bright sunshine. Stayed one night at Miami Beach . Had some great Cuban food and toasted a couple of nice sunsets with steel drum music playing – Jimmy Buffet would have been proud. Spent some time at Kelly’s Restaurant and Brewery where the $3.00 happy hour margaritas were much better than the beer. Discovered that one of the owners (Kelly) was none other than Kelly McGillis, the co-star with Tom Cruise in the movie Top Gun (yes, I did meet her). Interviewed the brewer (can you smell an IRS write off here) and plan to do an article entitled “Beers of The U.S. Outback” featuring their Hefeweizen. I would score it about a 6.5 on a 10 scale. Hey, but we drank for free there and they picked up the tab for both a nice lunch and excellent dinner (coconut shrimp and lobster). Most places had Dogfish Head beers though so you know what I ordered.

      O.K. - Here’s the poop for this week –

      Belmont Station - Biercafe

      TUESDAY MARCH 2 6-8PM    SOUTHERN OREGON TASTING & MEET THE FOUNDER. Southern Oregon Founder Dr. Tom Hammond will introduce their rockin' new labels and their IPA in bottles for the first time. Taste the full range of this Medford , OR brewery's fine beers. Nice Rack IPA on draft.

      THURSDAY MARCH 4  5-8PM   WIDMER TASTING Join Travis from Widmer's Quality Assurance Department and verify that he is doing his job by tasting for yourself  the Deadlift IPA, W'10 Black IPA, Drifter Pale Ale, and all the other fine Widmer beers. Plus tastes of the X-114 IPA (sorry not for sale).

      Big March Hop Madness @ HOPWORKS URBAN BREWERY     Ace of Spades,  Rise Up Red,  and Galactic Imperial Red Tapping

      Tuesday March 2nd, 5pm

      We're releasing the hops in March!  In addition to our current seasonal Secession Black IPA (now available in 22 oz bottles) we’ve brewed up fresh batches of our Gold Medal winning Ace of Spades Imperial IPA, Rise Up Red and our brand new hopalicious Galactic Imperial Red.  We're tapping all the beers on Tuesday March 2nd at 5pm here at Hopworks.  These hoppy beasts will be on tap all month long (unless you drink them up).  Don't miss it!!!

      Thursday March 4th @ GREEN DRAGON -  Meet the brewer night with the brewer (don’t know his name) from Eugene City Brewing – Eugene , Oregon of course.

      And the big event of the week - - -  Barleywine and Big Beer Fest @ Lucky Lab Beer Hall

      This will be Friday and Saturday noon to 10 pm. Looks like there will be approx. 40 beers to choose from. Some are only 1 keg of each so get there early. I sent the list last week so refer to that e-mail.

      That’s all I know so far – Hope to see you at Lucky Lab.  Marc

    • Marc
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 15, 2010

        A fair amount of tastings this week and Roots 5th anniversary party too  - - here it is - - - -

        Holly mother of all beer Gods, We have made it to year 5!!!!

        First of all, thank you so much for your support and participation in
        In Roots over the last 5 years. I find it amazing that we have been
        able not only to stay in business but to progress so far in creating
        this kind of community brewpub and restaurant, and that is your doing.
        Congratulations and thank you!

        What a crazy ride it’s been, hop shortages, Grain shortages, economy drops out, what else could happen? …..  Don’t answer that!

        Well were going to party like it’s March 18th 2005. We will have our party on Friday, March 19th, with  live music in the Roots Annex. Give away’s, $4.00 20 oz Pints, food specials and the release of our special anniversary beer!

        We will be doing prize giveaways every 2 hours, so ask you server for a ticket to win. Shirts, Growlers, Growler Cozies, Epic bottles from years past, and much more.

        Me, my wife and kids and all the staff at Roots want everyone to know how much we appreciate all the support you have shown through the good times and these rough times. Thank you from the bottom of our Hearts.

        Craig Nicholls
        Roots Organic Brewing Co.
        1520 Se 7th ave.
        Portland , Or. 97214
        O-503-235-7668
        F-503-234-2552
        C-503-314-9040

        EVENTS AT BELMONT STATION - - -

        MONDAY MARCH 15 6-8PM  OAKSHIRE O'DARK:30 Cascadian Dark Ale Release Party. Join Brewmaster Matt Van Wyk and Founder Jeff Althouse and taste the new O'Dark:30 Cascadian Dark (Black IPA) brewed with dark malts, wheat malt, and a load of hops, now available in bottles. Also taste Watershed IPA and Overcast Espresso Stout.  O'Dark:30 and a rare keg of Collaborative Evil'er (Belgian Golden Strong ale aged 5 months in Elijah Craig Bourbon barrel) on draft.

        TUESDAY MARCH  16 6-8PM O'HARA'S & FULLER'S TASTING.  Taste O'hara's Stout and Red from Carlow Brewing, one of Ireland 's few craft breweries, now available in bottles here. Plus the venerable Fuller's ESB, London Pride, and London Porter, and just for a twist we'll offer up tastes of Fruli Strawberry (Belgian white beer with strawberrry juice).

        WEDNESDAY MARCH 17 3-11PM  STOUT PATRICK'S NIGHT  A very special lineup of stouts on draft: Barley Brown's Ooga Nooga Chocolate Stout, Bear Republic Baba Yaga, Full Sail Imperial, Laurelwood Moose & Squirrel, Hales Pikop Andropov Rushin' Imperial, Cascade Lakes Imperial, & Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast.

        THURSDAY MARCH 18 5 - 9PM Vintage Beer Dim Sum. We'll be cracking open an assortment of rare beers from our cellar and you choose which you want a taste of. Or not. Tickets will be $1 each, cash only, and beers will range from 1 ticket to (well I won't know until I figure out what is in the cellar). 50% of the proceeds will be donated by our owner to Mercy Corps in Portland . We will email some highlights on Thursday.

        FRIDAY MARCH 19 6-8PM Beer Valley Tasting & Meet the Brewer. Join brewer/owner Pete Ricks of lthis Ontario , Oregon craft brewery and taste his Owyhee Amber, Pigskin Pale, Gone Fishin' Mild, Leafer Madness Imperial IPA, and Highway to Ale Barleywine, and Black Flag Imperial Stout. Plus a brand new IPA on tap in the Biercafe.

        FRIDAY MARCH 19 3 - 11PM All 3 Terminal Gravity  IPA's in the Biercafe. Terminal Gravity Columbus Single Hop, Chinook Single Hop, and the venerable TGIPA all on tap in the Biercafe.

        FRIDAY MARCH 19 6-8PM BEER VALLEY TASTING & MEET THE BREWER. Brewer and Owner Pete Ricks will pour tastes of his Owyhee Amber, Pigskin Pale, Gone Fishin' Mild, Leafer Madness Imperial IPA, Highway to Ale Barleywine, and Black Flag Imperial Stout. The brand new Beer Valley IPA on draft.

        THURSDAY - -

        Green DragonMeet the brewer featuring NINKASI !!  This will be from 5 till 8:00 pm

        O.K. folks, hope to see you at one of these.   Marc