Sand as substrate

  • Lucy Towbin
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2000
      Here are some interesting comments I got about the sand controversy from
      someone in my vivarium group:

      Well of course the size does matter. If I eat pea gravel I would be
      fine except for explaining what that sound was coming from the
      bathroom. But if ate normal sized aqurium gravel I'd probally have to
      see the proctologist. What brand did you by? becasue the most brends
      I know would be fine for and mediums sized insect eatig lizard. But
      it should not matter because the animals are bright enough to know
      not to eat boulders. The only time you can run into problems is when
      they strike their prey and accidently ingest some. My recomendation
      is to keep them on substrate you are absolutly sure the can pass
      safely or on one you know they cannot swallow. Any thing else in
      between I would be carefull. P.I.H

      Another thing I noticed in 95% of the cases of sand impactons I
      have seen when working and helping out in pet stores, is the type of
      sand being used. I has been the manutfatured kind not created
      naturally over time like in nature. Like some of the colored aquarium
      sand made by crushing rocks or some other way. Another one I have
      seen is(I'm not going to name the company) is those crushed walnut
      substrates. What I belive is these types of substrates do not have a
      natural shape or feel to them and animals system just can't pass it
      thruogh. Also stay away from silica sand becasue it can become
      compacted when ingested and plug the little guys up. Also it creates
      dust and is not good for thier respitory system. Philippe and myself
      both agree that any of the granite or oolithic limestones sands on
      the market are good for most desert vivariums containing insect
      eating lizrds