Plants in Viv / Humidity levels for G. Major

  • danielshalsey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2006
      Hi all,

      I have a new Sudan Plated and I'm setting up his vivarium. This is my
      first foray into lizard-keeping, and I want to make sure I do it
      right. At the moment I have the basic set-up: 36"x18"x12"h tank with
      bark, a couple of logs to hide under and a basking rock. There's a
      warming light and a 36" UV light. There's a screen top on the tank.

      I'd like to add some plants to make it more interesting, and I'm
      wondering what kind would be best. If I add plants that will need
      frequent watering it will raise the overall humidity level in the tank
      a little. I've read that spritzing and humidity can be good for the
      plateds, so would this be ok? If it's best to keep the humidity low, I
      suppose I could stick to succulants that don't need much water.

      Any advice? Of course I'll check the non-toxic plant lists before I
      put anything in.

      Thanks for any suggestions.
      Daniel
    • Tyler Refridgeration
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2006
        Since they come from a pretty dry environment, I'd try
        to limit humidity in the cage to a "moist hide" for
        shedding assistance & whatnot..

        Inedible succulents are probably your best bet, since
        they're not like alot of bearded dragons that'll try
        to eat anything...have fun!

        Tyler

        http://mail.yahoo.com