Saharan uromastyx colors when breeding

  • DanceToday@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2003
      Paul, you asked about the colors when breeding U. geyri and what happens when you breed different colors together.  I wasn't sure and had asked Doug Dix in the past but hadn't gotten an answer.  I asked again and finally heard from him (I've ordered four more from him so I guess he decided to answer my question this time!).  Here is what he said:

      The colors blend to some degree but Red is dominate at least in males.   Female yellows from crossed breedings can get red blush heads and tails on pale yellow bodies.  Pure Red males are dark maroon orange, female very dark red-grey.  Pure yellows are very pale even yellow.  As the genes mix over several crosses, you get more golden yellows or more pumpkin orange Reds.   Orange Saharans all have some yellow in the genetic background and are the most common color.  Pure Reds and pure yellows are very uncommon and really not the best looking specimens anyway.

    • kody
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2003
        i have four g validus, 2 females and 2 males, i would just like to have some info on breeding. this is my understanding so far.
        separate females from males. give them a nice warm time-1 to 2 weeks. then cool and reduce daylight for 2 weeks, then keep the "winter" steady for 2 weeks, take two weeks to increase warmth and light, give them a week, and then par male and females together in separate tanks.
        any more info would be great
        kody

        Do you Yahoo!?