not eatting properlly

  • pauline angus
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hi
      my male Z.Maximus Max is not eating many crickets. About 3 or 4
      extra large ones every other day. Whereas my female Florence eats
      10 – 15 every other day, she would eat the whole box if I let her!

      Max is happy to eat snake steaks, meal worms, wax worms, peas and
      sweetcorn. But crickets mean he has to move so I think he is to lazy
      to bother. Also Florence always gets his crix before he does, but
      even when she is taken out he still cant be bothered. When she was
      pregnant he was eating more crix, so she could be bullying him, he
      does turn away from her a lot.

      He has peas and sweetcorn once a week. Crix every other day. And
      normally 1 fuzzie size snake steak a week but this week he had 2.
      Worms as a treat. And nutribal and cuttle fish bone on most food.
      How can I get him to eat crix? Is his diet bad? Thanx
      Pauline
    • DanceToday@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2002
        Pauline,

        I think that lizards all have their own tastes in food. As long as you think
        his diet is varied (which it seems to be from what you say) and that he is
        just lazy and not sick, then it sounds okay to me. Crickets like we feed them
        are not what they would eat in their native habitat anyhow. They're just the
        most common feeder insect. So there is nothing that makes crickets required.
        Mealworms have too much chitin and waxworms too much fat to make them a
        staple. But they're okay for occasional foods. Crickets and superworms are
        both better to be regulars. I'm not familiar with the snake steaks or the
        supplements you mention. Someone else in the UK may comment on them but I'd
        guess they're just your brands of similar things we use here.

        Lucy
      • Langley, Bennie L
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
          Good Lord that lizard eats a ton. I don't think a few lousy crickets are a
          big deal, just my oppinion.

        • Barratt, Tricia
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
            RE: [platedlizards] not eatting properlly

            Hi

            I don't think his diet is bad, sounds very much like he is just lazy :-)

            As Lucy mentioned I wouldn't give the Wax worms on a regular basis because of the fat, or the mealworms because of the chitin.

            I don't think your lizard is missing out on anything because of the Nutribol.  I use this on my G Major and I have never had anything serious go wrong yet.  It is one of the best vitamin/mineral supplements I have found.

            If you can't get him to eat crickets have you tried black beetles.  This is something I can get from my regular supplier in Sheffield (UK) and my Max loves them.  They don't move as much as crickets so he might not see tham as so much of a challenge.  You can dust them in nutribol as well and I have found that they do not die as quickly as crickets do (after being dusted).

            Good luck

            Trish

            my male Z.Maximus Max is not eating many crickets.  About 3 or 4
            extra large ones every other day.  Whereas my female Florence eats
            10 - 15 every other day, she would eat the whole box if I let her!

            Max is happy to eat snake steaks, meal worms, wax worms, peas and
            sweetcorn.  But crickets mean he has to move so I think he is to lazy
            to bother.  Also Florence always gets his crix before he does, but
            even when she is taken out he still cant be bothered.  When she was
            pregnant he was eating more crix, so she could be bullying him, he
            does turn away from her a lot.

            He has peas and sweetcorn once a week. Crix every other day.  And
            normally 1 fuzzie size snake steak a week but this week he had 2.
            Worms as a treat.  And nutribal and cuttle fish bone on most food.
            How can I get him to eat crix?  Is his diet bad?  Thanx
            Pauline

            Sell a Home for Top $
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/jd3IAA/rHOolB/TM