Re: [planforabalancedlife] Hello everyone

  • Dennis Peltier
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 26, 2008
      Hi Cindy,

      I am older and a retired disabled vet.  I have the same problems.  This may sound crazy but it seems to be working for me, you might give it a try,

      I am doing Tai Chi and have found it very beneficial.  You practice the moves naturally but you also practice breathing and meditation.  It did take awhile for me to catch on but it is working.  It is not all that easy to find someone to teach you.  I have found DVD's and music at Barns and Noble to help.

      Good Luck,

      Dennis P

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 26, 2008
        Cindy, i am a personal trainer and I promise if you begin slowly and
        start working out you will feel better and you will not want to eat so
        much. You should start slow with walking. It is better if you can do
        it outside to get some fresh air. It is ok to eat every 3-4 hours but
        only if you keep your portions sizes small and try to eat more fruits
        and veg's than processed foods (they do not have much nutritional
        value). Try to add fiber and lean protein. That will keep you full
        for longer. This way your body will be metabolizing food constantly
        and hopefully you won't be as hungry all the time. Don't eat too much
        late at night or before bed. This can disrupt your sleep. Drink
        water though out the day.

        Hope this helps. -Jen

        --- In planforabalancedlife@yahoogroups.com, "Cindy"
        <bestgrannyevr@...> wrote:

        > Hi . I am new to this group and an in desperate need of help. i am
        > gaining weight like crazy and have no will power at all. Is there an
        > appetite suppressant that is any good.I just want to eat all the
        > time. I know a lot is just boredom. I am new to the area I am in and
        > am pretty much limited to friend and thing to occupy my time. I cant
        > afford to join a gym or one of those weight loss programs but I have
        > got to lose this weight. I hate feeling bloated all the time and my
        > self esteem is about shot.Any suggestions would be great. I am also
        > so not disciplined.

      • Elizabeth Nichols
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 26, 2008
          Cindy--

          I'd suggest gradually cutting back on your portions at meals as you gradually increase your exercise level.

          Secondly, joining a group like this one can help keep you motivated.  In addition, join a site that has a number of weightloss tools for you such as a journal, meal planner, calorie counter, online coaching, etc.

          I use www.dietbug.com, which is simple and easy to understand, yet effective in that it covers all bases.

          As far as supplements, they work for some people and not for others. I use one just as a starter to suppress the appetite and help to improve metabolism, enough to get through the first two or three months of weight loss. Rather than mention a specific one here, which is viewed as advertising, let's just say that if you look closely at the ingredients of different products, then google them to make sure they are considered safe and won't interfere with anything else you take, then make your choice.  Some people find products with hoodia gordonii work; some swear by green tea. A couple newer ingredients in some products is a seaweed ingredient, wakame, and pineolinc acid (from the Korean pine nut) is also a newer ingredient in some products that either suppress appetite or increase metabolism.  Check labels, check out the ingredients and then make your selection of products.

          Liz Nichols
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 27, 2008
            Hi cindy, To start wit, i appreciate ur message. You now know there's
            a problem and that means ur problem is half way solved. I studied food
            science and technology in school so i want you to believe my judgement.
            Im sure you are just worried probably b'cos people are making comment
            that you are addin weight and b'cos "le pa" is wat is reignin now.
            Please dont ever loose ur self esteem. B'cos you are big doesnt mean u
            re not beautiful. Tell them you ve shape and u re confident abt how u
            look.Then, on how to make sure u dont add more weight, make sure your
            energy intake is less than ur energy expenditure and vice versa. Wat
            this means is that u should increase ur daily activities.For instance if
            u dnt walk at all, try to do so. U could even buy a skippin rope and
            skip for abt 30mins in a day.Then try to do away wit some unnecessary
            things you eat.Ask urself a question before puttin anythin in ur
            mouth.Im i truly hungry or im i eatin this thin bcos im bored? I blv all
            these r way forward. Take care of urself and i wish you luck my pretty
            friend -- In planforabalancedlife@yahoogroups.com, "Cindy"
            <bestgrannyevr@...> wrote:

            > Hi . I am new to this group and an in desperate need of help. i am
            > gaining weight like crazy and have no will power at all. Is there an
            > appetite suppressant that is any good.I just want to eat all the
            > time. I know a lot is just boredom. I am new to the area I am in and
            > am pretty much limited to friend and thing to occupy my time. I cant
            > afford to join a gym or one of those weight loss programs but I have
            > got to lose this weight. I hate feeling bloated all the time and my
            > self esteem is about shot.Any suggestions would be great. I am also
            > so not disciplined.

          • nicole norfleet
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 29, 2008
              When you get fed up with the way you are then you can do something about it.
              You can get all the diet pills you want and still have problems, It first starts in your mind.

              Nikki

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 3, 2008
                Dennis, I recently got a Tai Chi DVD, but so far have only been able to do the first 2 warm up exercises. Every time I try to shift my weight while keeping my feet firmly on the floor and my back straight, I almost fall over. Any suggestions? Cindy, I have recently started eating 4-5 small meals a day, whenever my stomach starts hurting. Sometimes it's no more than a jar of baby food or a handful of grapes and a small piece of cheese or a danactive. I've gotten rid of almost 5 pounds in the last week and a half.

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 4, 2008
                  Tai chi is great ..I have done it for almost a year when I was leaving in Kuwait...
                  Now settled in Abiu Dhabi and doing salsa dancing..
                  Nuran

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 4, 2008
                    Hi Cindy,

                    Doing brisk walk will be of great help. Just a 40-mins walk
                    4-5 times a week will really do you good. Avoid sweetened stuff &
                    just plenty of warm water will surely help.

                    Josephine

                    -- In planforabalancedlife@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Peltier
                    <cooterwhiz@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Cindy,
                    >
                    > I am older and a retired disabled vet.  I have the same problems.
                    This may sound crazy but it seems to be working for me, you might
                    give it a try,

                    > I am doing Tai Chi and have found it very beneficial.  You
                    practice the moves naturally but you also practice breathing and
                    meditation.  It did take awhile for me to catch on but it is
                    working.  It is not all that easy to find someone to teach you.  I
                    have found DVD's and music at Barns and Noble to help.

                    > Good Luck,
                    >
                    > Dennis P

                  • Joni
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 4, 2008
                      Hi all,

                      I'm new here too -- I'm 51, live in CT and am married with two kids, ages 21 and 17, both living at home.

                      I am self-employed and find that my biggest challenge comes when work gets crazy (which seems all too often these days). Then my exercise gets cut short, my "me" time disappears, and I start feeling overwhelmed.  And since I'm so stressed out, a little dessert starts to look really good, and of course there's not as much time to cook that healthy meal I intended to start.

                      I am not overweight -- I am 5'3" and 135 pounds.  But as I've reached menopause, I notice the weight "redistributing" and I have slacked off on my strength training with flab as the result.

                      I'm looking forward to hearing how people balance all their responsibilities with their diet and exercise needs.  It is a constant challenge for me!

                      Joni

                      <cooterwhiz@ ...> wrote:

                      > Hi Cindy,
                      >
                      > I am older and a retired disabled vet.  I have the same problems.
                      This may sound crazy but it seems to be working for me, you might
                      give it a try,

                      > I am doing Tai Chi and have found it very beneficial.  You
                      practice the moves naturally but you also practice breathing and
                      meditation.  It did take awhile for me to catch on but it is
                      working.  It is not all that easy to find someone to teach you.  I
                      have found DVD's and music at Barns and Noble to help.

                      > Good Luck,
                      >
                      > Dennis P

                    • janicejames2
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 7, 2008
                        Hi Cindy,

                        Start slowly. 20 mins walk daily. Then take it to the next level, slow
                        jog for 20 mins.

                        Diet wise, cut down carb and avoid large portion.
                        U can eat 5 to 6 meals per day with small portion. This helps as you
                        wont feel the immense hunger. Smaller portion also means, no excess
                        stored fats as all you consumed will be digested.

                        Janice.

                        --- In planforabalancedlife@yahoogroups.com, nicole norfleet