Planeta.com Update - 05/23/01

  • Ron Mader
    Message 1 of 2 , May 24, 2001
      05/23/01

      Greetings and Saludos -

      When we started Planeta.com <http://www.planeta.com> seven years ago, I
      knew that the Internet offered a perfect venue as a virtual educational
      center. Our first order of business was to publish articles and research
      about the environment and travel in Latin America. May is our birthday month
      and I'd like to extend kudos to our writers, readers and good friends. You
      have made this journey well worth-while.

      CONGRATULATIONS -- Last week I attended the wedding (actually, I was the
      best man) of good friends Tom Buckley and Blanca Robleda. Tom has helped out
      editing the site and Blanca is the author of our Botanical Gardens in Mexico
      series. Best wishes for a long and happy marriage!

      GREEN BUILDING AND TOURISM -- Last week we wrapped up our Green Building and
      the Tourism Industry Conference. This global exchange of practical ideas,
      field experiences and recommended resources drew 200 participants and we
      agreed to sponsor a follow-up conference or conferences. One of the
      immediate outcomes of the event was the creation of a topical fact sheet:
      >> http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/tour/gbfact.html

      INTERNET AND ECOTOURISM -- Another addition this week to the Planeta.com
      archives is a presentation I made at the Integrating Biodiversity and
      Tourism Conference sponsored by the United Nations Environment Programme
      (UNEP) and held in Mexico City. During the original talk, I showed how the
      Web can be used to develop, organize and promote ecotourism, particularly in
      light of 2002's "International Year of Ecotourism" celebration. Details:
      >> http://www.planeta.com/planeta/01/0103integrate.html

      WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY -- In light of the upcoming World Environment Day
      (June 5), which asks us to reflect on the "World Wide Web of Life," we've
      asked members of our online forums to share their thoughts. Selected
      >> http://www.planeta.com/planeta/0106wed.html

      COLIBRI ECOTOURISM AWARD -- Also on June 5th, Planeta.com will be announcing
      the winner of our new Colibri Ecotourism Award. Details will be posted on
      our site and in the Planeta.com Update.

      LATIN AMERICA TRAVEL PLANNER -- Transitions Abroad's new May/June issue
      focuses on Latin America and I was privileged to author their regional
      Travel Planner. You'll find the issue on sale at bookstores throughout the
      US and it can be ordered directly from their website:
      >> http://www.transitionsabroad.com

      $ SUPPORT -- Planeta.com has a new relation with Amazon.com that allows our
      members to offer voluntary donations for maintenance of our site. Details:
      >> http://www.amazon.com/paypage/P1LXVPMG45RHC4

      Ron Mader
      Webhost/Planeta.com
      Private email: ron@...

      What would you like to see on Planeta.com? Feedback is always welcome on our
      Regional Forums <http://www.planeta.comecotravel/search/list.html> and Yahoo
      Club <http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/planetasecotourismforum> listed below.

      ** HEADLINES **
      >> http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/headlines.html

      The Role of the Internet in Integrating Biodiversity and Tourism - Ron Mader
      http://www.planeta.com/planeta/01/0103integrate.html

      Urban Ecotourism: A Conversation with Anna Gibson - by Ron Mader
      http://www.planeta.com/planeta/01/0105qaannegibson.html

      Apoala, Un Rincon en la Mixteca Oaxaqueña - Sten Maldonado
      http://www.planeta.com/planeta/01/0105apoala.html

      Honduras' Expatriates Bar & Grill: Fine Food, Cigars, and Environmental
      Espionage - Jon Kohl
      http://www.planeta.com/planeta/01/0105hondurasexpats.html

      ** RECENTLY ADDED **

      BOOK REVIEW - MARCH 2001 Collection
      - Other Guide to Toronto | Footprint South America | Footprint Mexico and
      Central America | Adventuring with Children | Travel Unlimited |Incredible
      Inns of Central America | Alternative Travel Directory | Work Abroad |
      >> http://www.planeta.com/planeta/01/0103book.html

      EVENT: Oaxaca Options
      - Planeta.com and the Amigos del Sol Language School host presentations
      every other Thursday night this summer in Oaxaca City. Join us! Details:
      >> http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/oaxaca/options.html

      ** UPDATED **

      Recipes: La Olla Latinoamericana
      http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/recipes/recipes.html

      Latin American Journalism Handbook
      http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/period/period.html

      Pusanga: making a home in the forest
      http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/amazon/0295amapusanga.html

      Workshops and Speaking Engagements
      http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/search/speak.html

      ** EVENTS **
      >> http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/tour/announcements.html

      Ecotourism Certification Workshop - June 2001
      Mexico's Expo Aventura and National Ecotourism Forum - June 2001
      Media, Environment and Travel - November 2001
      NGOs and Non-Profits in Tourism - February 2002

      ** SPONSORS **
      >> http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/rate.html

      Businesses and foundations -- interested in sponsoring Planeta.com's
      pioneering work? Please review <http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/rate.html>
      and <http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/vision.html> and write to me directly
      <ron@...>.

      Spread the word! Information is meant to be shared. You have permission to
      forward or print the Update. Your friends can also subscribe to the "Update"
      by emailing the message - Subscribe - to EcoTravel@....

      ----
      ABOUT THE PLANETA.COM UPDATE

      Editor's Note: This free, electronic newsletter is generated by the
      Planeta.com website as a means of sharing news about environmental travel
      and ecotourism, particularly in the Americas. The private mailing list is *
      never sold or loaned* and now boasts more than 1,700 subscribers. Please
      *do not* respond directly. To contact the webhost, send a message to
      ron@....
      ---