Fwd: [Info Career Trends Newsletter] March 1, 2005 issue

  • Muhammad Rafiq
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2005

      Info Career Trends <infocareertrendsnewsletter@...> wrote:
      Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:31:47 -0600
      To: infocareertrends@...
      From: Info Career Trends
      Subject: [Info Career Trends Newsletter] March 1, 2005 issue

      Info Career Trends March 1, 2005
      vol. 6, no. 2

      ISSN 1532-0839
      Published by Lisjobs.com - http://www.lisjobs.com
      E-mail: editor@...

      In This Issue (Alternative Careers):

      1) Editor's Note
      2) Career Q&A From the Library Career People (choosing a school,
      interview tips)
      3) My Path To an Alternative Career
      4) A Really Alternative Career in Librarianship
      5) My Life As a Librarian Without Walls
      6) Alternative Careers
      7) What's Online? Recommended Resources
      8) But I Want To Hold It In My Hand! Review: The Librarian's Career
      9) Administrivia, Copyright, Subscription and Removal Instructions

      Editor's Note

      We talk often about our skills as information professionals being
      transferable, and this issue's articles illustrate ways to use our
      library background in various environments. Knowing more about our
      options allows us to plan out the career path that's best for us; as
      libraries and librarianship continue to evolve, many more of us may
      end up in careers formerly viewed as "alternative."

      One of the ways we can use our skills as librarians, particularly
      researching, networking, and sharing, is by contributing our thoughts
      to our ongoing professional conversation through writing for
      publication. ICT is seeking authors for two upcoming issues - July
      2005 ("getting what you're worth) and Nov. 2005 ("what I wish I'd
      learned in library school"), and I'd love to see your queries at
      editor@.... Please see contributor guidelines at
      http://www.lisjobs.com/newsletter/theme.htm#contrib . I'm also seeking
      a reviewer for Blanche Woolls' and David V. Loertscher's The Whole
      School Library Handbook (ALA, 2005); e-mail a brief note with your

      For more on why you might want to contribute your work to an online
      publication such as this one, see my February Library Link column,
      "Online Is Fine," at
      /published/perish/feb2005.htm OR
      http://makeashorterlink.com/?A24A1277A .

      While I'm on the subject, I'd like to share with you some of my own
      contributions to the literature. Look into one of my books for
      yourself or your library; check out a list, with links to sample
      content and reviews, at http://www.lisjobs.com/resume.htm#write .

      - Rachel (editor@...)

      *** Find yourself with management responsibilities? Check out The
      Accidental Library Manager! http://www.lisjobs.com/talm/

      Career Q&A From the Library Career People

      Q: I recently became interested in the library profession, but can't
      seem to find any schools that offer the library sciences degree. What
      schools would you suggest?

      TA: This opens the door, not only to answer your initial question (how
      do I find a school?), but also to address the broader question: out of
      all of the programs, how do I decide which one is right for me?
      Answering your initial question is pretty simple: Go to the ALA web
      site for a lengthy list of accredited schools. But, with so many
      options, how do you evaluate which school is "best?" Let's back up and
      look at the broader picture.

      What To Look For

      A quick Google search on "selecting a graduate program" yields many
      results. Glancing at some of these articles (many of which are listed
      below), you will see many common themes. Most advise students to look
      at the location of the school, the cost of the program, and the types
      of courses and degrees offered. In addition, when comparing
      institutions, most recommend looking at both academic qualities
      (differences in curriculum, academic requirements, faculty interests
      and research) as well as "quality of life" benefits (the campus,
      community, housing, distance from family and friends). Other factors
      to consider when researching and comparing graduate institutions

      * Accreditation
      * The cost of the program
      Tuition, housing, books, student fees, travel, cost of living
      * Financial incentives
      Fellowships, research assistantships, teaching assistantships
      * Selectivity of the program
      Compare the number of applicants to the number accepted
      * University and department reputation
      * Diversity
      Of the faculty, students, university, community
      * Faculty interests, research and ranking
      What is the student to faculty ratio?
      Do full-time faculty teach classes? What percentage of the time?
      Are faculty members conducting research?
      Are they published?
      Are they respected by others in the field?
      * Does the program emphasize theory or practice?
      Are there specific courses of interest to you?
      Availability of internships and field experiences
      * Flexibility of the program
      * Quality of facilities and resources
      Library materials in your subject area, classrooms, technology,
      endowments that support student research
      * Are there opportunities to teach? To publish? To attend conferences?
      * Where do graduates typically find work upon graduation from the
      Do most graduates go into academia or into professional positions
      in the workplace?
      How much assistance is offered to job-seeking students (and/or

      ALA-accredited schools

      At the top of this list is accreditation. On its accreditation web
      site, ALA states that "ALA accreditation indicates that the program
      has undergone a self-evaluation process, been reviewed by peers, and
      meets the Standards for Accreditation of Master's Programs in Library
      and Information Studies that were established by the Committee on
      Accreditation and adopted by the ALA Council in 1992." During the
      accreditation process, a program is evaluated in the areas of mission,
      goals, objectives, curriculum, faculty, students, administration,
      financial support, physical resources, and facilities. While
      accreditation is by no means a guarantee of quality or an indicator of
      "best fit," graduating from an ALA-accredited program will allow
      greater career mobility and flexibility in your professional pursuits.
      Most major institutions call for an ALA-accredited degree when seeking
      candidates for professional positions. For a complete list of ALA-
      accredited schools, please visit:

      Never underestimate the power of research when deciding on the
      graduate program that best meets your needs. The definition of "best"
      is completely subjective. For some, it may mean attending the top-
      ranked program according to US News & World Report; for others, it
      means attending the ALA-accredited program in their area because of
      limited geographic mobility. Regardless, when making your assessments,
      do your research. Talk to current students and alumni. Speak with
      administrators and faculty. Look at department web sites and class
      offerings. Visit schools and look at the fit of the campus and the
      surrounding community. Last, but not least, use the following
      resources to help formulate and answer some of your questions. Good

      About.com Graduate School: Questions & Answers:

      ALA's 2004-2005 Directory of Institutions Offering ALA-Accredited
      Master's Programs in Library and Information Studies:

      ALA's Office for Human Resources Development and Recruitment:
      http://www.ala.org/hrdr (general information about scholarships,
      placement, salaries and general career information)

      The Directory of Graduate Programs (published by the Graduate Record
      Examinations Board) contains information on U.S. graduate programs in
      over 80 major fields

      Financial Assistance for Library and Information Studies (an annual
      compilation available from the ALA Committee on Education)

      The Guide to American Graduate Schools (describes post-BA study
      opportunities at more than 685 accredited institutions)

      Hansen, Randall S., Ph.D. Criteria for Choosing a Graduate Program:

      Hiatt Career Center. Things to Consider When Selecting a Graduate
      School: http://www.brandeis.edu/hiatt/GradSchoolConsider.html

      JOBTRAK Selecting a Graduate School: Look Before You Leap!

      Kuther, Tara, Ph.D. Choosing Among Graduate Programs:

      Peterson's Annual Guides to Graduate Studies (profiles over 1400
      accredited institutions offering masters and/or doctoral programs)

      Q: I have an interview with a public library as a clerk. I want this
      job very much but I have no prior experience working in libraries.
      Please advise me on how I can convince them to hire me! I really would
      love to work in a library. What intelligent thing can I say during my
      interview, to convince them to hire me? Please help.

      SM: First of all, congratulations on getting an interview! This is the
      first step to a career in libraries. A clerk position (sometimes
      called library assistant) is usually considered entry-level, which
      means no library experience required. Your interviewers will, however,
      expect you to be computer literate, detailed-oriented, and organized,
      and to be able to communicate effectively and pleasantly. So, play up
      the skills and experience that you do have, especially ones that
      relate to these traits.

      Since you made it to the interview stage, assuming that you either
      filled out an application or submitted a resume, your interviewers
      already know your work history and your skills. Take comfort in
      knowing that you meet most, if not all, of their requirements. The
      interview is their chance to get to know you, and your chance to
      impress them. During the interview, keep in mind that you are also
      interviewing them. You should have some questions prepared to ask your
      interviewers (typically at the end of the interview). For general
      interviewing tips, look at the interviewing section of Lisjobs.com at
      http://www.lisjobs.com/advice.htm#interview , which has a list of
      helpful web sites. In response to your more specific plea for help, I
      have the following advice:

      Read the description of library assistant in the Occupational Outlook
      Handbook http://bls.gov/oco/ocos147.htm or of library clerk in the
      Essential Skills site from Human Resources and Skills Development of
      Canada http://www15.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/english/profiles/12.asp . This
      will help you get a better understanding of the position and what it

      Brush up on your library searching skills by familiarizing yourself
      with several online catalogs, such as the New York Public Library's
      catalog ( http://catnyp.nypl.org/ ), the Boston Public Library's
      catalog ( http://www.bpl.org/catalogs/index.htm ), the Los Angeles
      Public Library's catalog ( http://www.lapl.org/catalog/ ); the Houston
      Public Library's catalog (
      http://catalog.houstonlibrary.org/search~S1/ ), and (most
      importantly), the catalog of the library where you are interviewing.

      During your interview, you may be given a shelf-reading quiz to
      determine if you know how to organize library materials, either by
      Library of Congress Classification (LC)
      http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/lcco/lcco.html or Dewey Decimal
      Classification (DDC) http://www.oclc.org/dewey/ , which is used more
      in public libraries. If you do not know much about these
      classification systems, I suggest that you look at the following
      shelf-reading tutorials:

      An online tour of DDC (from OCLC)

      Let's Do Dewey (from Middle Tennessee State University)

      SatchLCall - Library of Congress Call Number System Tutorial (from the
      University of Pittsburgh)

      Call Number Tutorial (from Hunter College, CUNY)

      Public libraries are very community oriented. Depending on what city
      you are in, you will most likely be working with a diverse user
      population. Let your interviewers know that you are interested in
      working with different age groups and different cultures, and, by all
      means, let them know how interested you are to begin a career in
      libraries. Explain that it won't be "just a job" for you, but a
      passion. For more information about public libraries and working in
      public libraries, look at the Public Library Association's web site:
      http://www.pla.org .

      As for something "intelligent" to mention during your interview, try
      reading, or scanning, some articles in current library-related
      journals to give you some ideas. A few examples of journals are:
      Library Journal http://www.libraryjournal.com , D-Lib Magazine
      http://www.dlib.org , LIBRES http://libres.curtin.edu.au , and First
      Monday http://www.firstmonday.org . To get a longer list of open-
      access ( http://www.soros.org/openaccess/read.shtml ) library-related
      journals, go to the Directory of Open Access Journals
      http://www.doaj.org/ljbs?cpid=129 .

      Never be afraid to show your enthusiasm for working in libraries. Best
      of luck!

      *** Have a question for the Library Career People? E-mail it to
      librarycareerpeople@..., and you could see it answered in
      an upcoming column. Sorry, we cannot provide personal responses.

      About the Authors

      Tiffany Allen is currently serving as the Assistant Personnel
      Librarian at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Prior
      to her work in academic librarianship, Tiffany worked in a variety
      of libraries, including a small non-profit library and a large
      corporate research library.

      Susanne Markgren is Reference Coordinator and Web Librarian at the
      Levy Library, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, in New York City. Her
      career experience encompasses a variety of positions in different
      types of libraries, including public, special, and academic.

      *** Post your resume online! See http://www.lisjobs.com/resumes.htm
      for details.

      My Path To an Alternative Career
      by Paul Duckworth (paulmduckworth@...)

      How does a librarian move from a traditional job to something outside
      the box of library walls? If this sounds like a Zen koan to you,
      perhaps you're thinking about it too hard - just let the energy flow
      into your solar plexus. When you're centered, you can follow the path
      of the stepping stones that are submerged below the surface of the
      water. How? Step-by-step, feeling your way, remembering to breathe and
      center yourself - and not being afraid to get your feet wet.

      First Steps First

      My path began with the recognition that it was time to move on from my
      public library job in Missouri. I'd been there for over twenty-five
      years, moving upwards in responsibility. The job was great, my salary
      was excellent, and I had every reason to stay, except three: I was
      restless, felt stagnated, and found myself experiencing boredom.

      "What to do?" I thought. "How do I uproot myself? Where do I begin?"
      For me, a recent marriage had brought a fresh perspective and someone
      else's needs to consider. For many reasons, we decided to relocate to
      within a few hours of Toronto. So, the first decision had been made:
      the geographic focus was defined.

      Time to get out the career and resume guides. I raided my library's
      shelves, looked at more than a few, studied every style and strategy,
      then set the books down and never picked them up again. What I did
      reach for, though, was the ear of anyone who would listen to me as I
      told my story. Never underestimate the power of these words: "Ask, and
      it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and the door
      will be opened to you." I found talking with many people, especially
      those not in the library field, of immense assistance in clarifying
      muddy waters.

      I began bookmarking library job sites and searching them again and
      again - sometimes to the point where I felt desperate. There were
      jobs, but few interesting ones in the geographical area where I needed
      to land.

      I also reached out to colleagues through the networking approach,
      including joining an e-mail list from a state adjoining Ontario. It
      was fascinating to learn about the issues going on there, which
      affected services, employment, selection, and the financial health of

      Alternatives Can Find You

      Time was getting short. We needed to move before autumn, but nothing
      seemed to pan out. What to do...? Be persistent, I reminded myself.
      Success is 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration. So, I did everything I
      could not to let discouragement slow me down: meditation, yoga,
      talking to friends, and strategizing through good note taking.

      And then, there it was - a job posting on an e-mail list for a library
      vendor in New York State. Good fortune - the vendor was a major
      supplier for my library. My application led to a response with a
      questionnaire to fill out; this led to more e-mail, and then... a call
      out of the blue from the company's sales manager, followed by a second
      one. Could I come to the ALA conference in Orlando, expenses paid, to
      meet with the company president and him?

      Yes, I could, and I did! I flew to Orlando and visited with them. And,
      while I was there with some free time to visit the exhibits hall, I
      stopped by the booth of another vendor I worked with on materials
      acquisition, to meet some of the friendly staff I had visited with on
      the phone over the years. So, I had a good chat with several staff,
      and casually mentioned that I was interviewing for a job that would
      take me to New York State. "We just happen to have an opening for an
      account rep for that area," one of their vice presidents mentioned.
      Would I be interested in talking about this position?

      Yes, I was, and I did. We talked, and the job sounded as intriguing
      and challenging as the first one. Always keep as many options open as
      possible, I reminded myself. Don't start closing doors until you know
      for sure which door you're going to walk through.

      When One Door Opens...

      At the end of the weekend I expected a job offer from the first
      vendor, who had flown me to the conference. It didn't come. So I
      waited, weighed my options, and decided that the better choice for me
      was the new possibility. Then, amazingly, a friend told me about yet a
      third prospect with the university library in the town to which we
      were considering moving. While in Toronto on vacation, I faxed my
      application, and within a few days had a telephone interview with the
      search committee.

      Within days, an offer was made by the second vendor and I accepted. A
      few days later, the initial vendor indicated they wanted to hire me.
      And, as I withdrew my application for the academic position, they
      indicated that I had been their top candidate.

      How is it, you ask, being outside those traditional walls? Well, I
      travel inside those walls throughout my sales territory, meet great
      people (we librarians ARE interesting), and sometimes have the
      exciting opportunity to show up for work in my home office in my
      pajamas. I still speak "library," am appreciated by my employer, and
      network every day with colleagues and customers across the country. My
      employer is tops, the job brings me the challenge I was looking for,
      and I'm traveling to lots of places I had never seen before. The path
      ahead isn't clear, but, truly, it never is. For right now, I'm
      enjoying getting my feet wet, taking one step at a time, and
      remembering to breathe.

      Paul Duckworth lives in upstate New York and is a Regional Account
      Manager with BWI, (Lexington,
      KY), a major vendor of books and audiovisual materials to public
      libraries. Prior to that, he was Collection Development Coordinator at
      Springfield-Greene County Library (Springfield,
      MO). He can be reached at paulmduckworth@... .

      *** Need some encouragement on writing for publication?

      A Really Alternative Career in Librarianship
      by Officer Tom Rink (trink@...)

      When you think about the title "librarian," the traditional settings
      that come to mind are public libraries, academic libraries, and school
      libraries. As a matter of fact, the entire time that I was in library
      school, I envisioned becoming an academic librarian. I never
      dreamed that I'd be able to pursue a library career in my chosen first
      profession, law enforcement. However, when the opportunity arose to
      create a library for the police department (where none had previously
      existed) I jumped at the chance. As the information age continues to
      evolve and grow, this may just be the time to start expanding our
      thinking in the direction of the "non-traditional" or "alternative"
      career choices that are available in the field of librarianship.

      To successfully explore the new career opportunities which are
      emerging all around us, we must realistically assess or evaluate our
      skill sets and competencies. We must also be able to articulate and
      translate these to the new, and sometimes difficult to understand, job
      descriptions that are written in different terms than those for
      traditional library-related positions. "Out-of-the-box" thinking must
      become the norm. Use your imagination, set your goals, and go for it!

      What is really required is an entrepreneurial spirit which includes
      having a vision for the future, a certain degree of risk-taking, a
      strong desire to succeed, a creative/innovative outlook, and a
      customer-focused service orientation. In addition, today's information
      professional must be an effective communicator, have the ability to
      prioritize, be committed to lifelong learning (and career
      development), understand the balance between leading, following, and
      collaborating, be flexible, and understand the value of networking.
      Having dogged determination (perseverance) doesn't hurt, either!

      Finding Alternatives

      So, what are the jobs, and where are they? The overly-simple answer:
      as a profession, we are becoming more and more entrepreneurial; we are
      able to manage information organizations, manage information
      resources, manage information services, and apply information tools
      and technologies in any setting that we choose (corporate or

      Every sector of the economy has a growing need for information
      professionals: the manufacturing industry, the service/business
      industry, government agencies (yes, even an occasional police
      department), academic or educational institutions, hospitals or other
      health institutions, agricultural and food processing businesses,
      professional and trade associations (and not-for-profits), research
      and consulting organizations, and arts and entertainment
      organizations. The new focus for librarians or information
      professionals is on managing the informational needs or requirements
      of the decision-makers within the organizations that they serve.

      To help brainstorm the possibilities (and the following lists are by
      no means exhaustive), some of the titles used (in addition to
      librarian and information professional) include archivist, consultant,
      information broker, knowledge manager, independent information
      professional, chief information officer, market researcher,
      taxonomist, indexer/abstracter, records manager, and web developer.
      And, judging from some of the recent job ads that I have seen, these
      titles are becoming more and more technological in nature: electronic
      resources librarian, network administrator, technology systems
      librarian, electronic products manager.

      Our settings are also quite varied. We work in libraries,
      information centers, resource centers, research and development units,
      planning centers, think tanks in corporations, banks, law firms,
      prisons, churches, museums, hospitals, police departments, and even
      from our homes. We can operate in person, by phone, by fax, and via
      the computer and/or the Internet (providing virtual reference

      Out On Your Own

      You could even become your own boss and enter the world of consulting.
      Consulting can include evaluating a library or library services, doing
      public relations, performing information audits, outsourcing, space
      planning analysis, document delivery, records management, training
      other librarians (through workshops and seminars), writing (books,
      articles, newsletters), designing or producing databases, web design,
      indexing and/or abstracting. Or, you could become a vendor
      representative (sales, database searching), or work for a library
      supplier. In the corporate world, the field of competitive
      intelligence (gathering information that will assist a company in
      maintaining or gaining a competitive advantage) continues to thrive.
      Again, all that is required is a little creativity in your thinking.

      Hopefully, you are beginning to get an understanding of the variety
      and types of alternatives that exist in our world today. And, if for
      some reason you cannot seem to find your niche, then create it! Take
      the initiative and put your entrepreneurial skills to work. Colleagues
      that I encounter during the course of my professional development/
      professional association activities constantly marvel at the fact that
      our police department has a library, and that it's staffed by a
      degreed librarian, to boot. (In the law enforcement world, this is not
      the norm - but wouldn't it be wonderful if it were to become the

      How many other people have had the opportunity to create their own
      niche? Probably more than you would guess. Next time you are at a
      conference, workshop, seminar, or program, challenge yourself to
      examine the job titles and employers/work settings of the other
      attendees - you'll be amazed at what you discover. In addition to
      being a wonderful networking opportunity, you may just find your dream

      Editor's Note: See Officer Rink's story at
      http://www.rose.edu/lrc/careers/rink.htm .

      Officer Tom Rink, a 23+ year veteran of the Tulsa Police Department,
      received his MLIS from the University of Oklahoma in 1992 and has
      spent the last 11 years building (from scratch) and managing the
      library for the Tulsa Police Department. Tom is active in the Special
      Libraries Association and is the current President-elect of the
      Oklahoma Chapter.

      *** Love the newsletter? Make a PayPal donation to its upkeep:

      My Life As a Librarian Without Walls
      by Marylaine Block (marylaine@...)

      From time to time I get e-mails from library and information science
      students asking me to talk about my career as an Internet librarian,
      so I'm going to answer some of those questions here.

      Why Did You Make This Career Move?

      There were a lot of reasons.

      * I'd been in the same job for 22 years, and even though new
      responsibilities and challenges came along every year, it was growing
      stale and so was I.

      * As the creator of one of the first librarian-created guides to the
      internet, Best Information on the Net (
      http://library.sau.edu/bestinfo/default.htm ) I had already acquired a
      reputation as an Internet "guru," and invited to deliver conference
      presentations and workshops. (It's the Hershey bar principle: if
      you're there first, you don't have to be the best possible.)

      * I was developing a career as a writer. At the time I left my job, I
      was writing a weekly column, "Observing US," for Fox News Online.

      * I already had a weekly platform in Neat New Stuff I Found This
      Week, as well as BookBytes ( http://marylaine.com/bookbyte/index.html
      ). My employer agreed that these were my personal projects rather than
      the library's property, so I was able to take them, and their
      audiences, with me.

      * Probably the biggest one was that I could afford to take the risk.
      My mortgage payment was only $300 a month, I knew how to live cheap,
      and I didn't have anybody but me to support, since my son was grown
      up. Fox was paying about half my basic living expenses, and I was
      pretty sure I could make up the rest with speaking engagements.

      What Did You Do To Build the Business?

      First thing, I bought the marylaine.com domain, got an internet
      service provider, and placed NeatNew, BookBytes, and my resume there.
      (Later, I had to break it into two separate resumes: my internet
      librarian resume and my writing resume.)

      I started ExLibris, and archived it, as a way to expand my reputation
      among librarians by sharing what I knew about the internet, searching,
      and other professional issues. When people told me they preferred to
      have their information come to them, I made ExLibris and NeatNew
      available in a combined free e-mail newsletter as well as online,
      which dramatically expanded its reach. And I increased my usefulness
      to librarians by making all my conference and workshop presentations
      freely available on the web ( http://marylaine.com/handouts.html ).

      I made a decision up front not to accept any advertising. That was
      partly to avoid any appearance of conflicts of interest, since the
      greatest asset I have to offer is my integrity. But mostly it was
      because I wanted to use my web page frames to promote my own work.
      Which ever route brought readers to me - BookBytes, Neat New Stuff, or
      ExLibris - would lead them to my other work.

      All of the archived work on my web site allows editors and conference
      planners to see the kinds of work I have done, and the kinds of topics
      I have addressed. The fact that I clearly meet a weekly schedule also
      assures editors that I know how to meet a deadline.

      How Much Of a Role Did Dumb Luck Play?

      A big role - as in any business. I was fortunate in the word of mouth
      from librarians, who forwarded my newsletters to colleagues, or
      recommended particular columns in the weblogs.

      I was also fortunate with search engines. I always tell people I was
      doing all the right things to get search engine attention before
      anyone knew there WERE right things to do. Because the engines paid
      great attention to librarians' web pages, they followed me from Best
      Information on the Net to marylaine.com. Because search engines also
      give preference to sites that update regularly, they spider my site
      often, keeping up with the new material I add.

      Since I cover such a wide variety of topics in my handouts, columns,
      and ExLibris backfile, and Google routinely spiders my site every
      week, librarians and other information seekers are frequently referred
      to my work, regardless of what they're searching for: "out of print
      books," "library marketing," "cool quotes," "Images on the Web" -
      even, would you believe, "Burma-Shave signs." Once searchers find one
      of my pages, they can and do explore others.

      Thanks to the fact that one of my subscribers was a technology writer,
      I got some entirely unexpected free publicity when he wrote an article
      for Wired about NeatNew and other e-mail lists in February, 2002 (
      http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.02/lists.html ). Within a month,
      I'd added more than 1500 techies to my subscriber list.

      Do You Make Money?

      Yes, though not as much as I'd like. Like many self-employed people, I
      start the year not knowing how much money I'll make and where it will
      come from, so it's not a job for the faint of heart. My income comes
      from an ever-shifting mix of writing, speaking fees, and royalties
      from my book, Net Effects: How Librarians Can Manage the Unintended
      Consequences of the Internet ( http://marylaine.com/book/index.html ).
      This year, as library budgets have dried up, my speaking business is
      down, but my writing business is up.

      It helps that my costs of doing business are not prohibitive: my
      server, my DSL connection, and distribution charges. These are offset
      by the tax deductions for business expenses and my home office.

      I chose not to charge a fee for NeatNew and ExLibris, but to use them
      to promote my writing and speaking business. My users can make
      donations, though, through their Amazon accounts (
      1222427 OR http://makeashorterlink.com/?R25B3219A ). If all my
      subscribers donated even $5, I'd be making as much money as I did in
      my last year at work. That hasn't happened, but it would certainly be
      nice. I welcome your donations.

      What Are the Gratifications of the Work?

      There are many. The greatest is that I have the opportunity, in both
      my print and online publications, to influence the way librarians
      respond to our challenging new technological and economic environment.
      I love the e-mail I get, the very personal responses to my articles,
      and I enjoy seeing my ideas picked up in weblogs and listservs. But
      I'm even more pleased when I see my articles turn up as required
      reading in LIS courses.

      I love the opportunity my work has given me to meet librarians all
      over the country, including some of my own personal heroes, who I've
      gotten to mingle with at conferences or interview for ExLibris. One of
      the regular writing jobs I've gotten is the Movers and Shakers issue
      of Library Journal, which has given me a chance to get to know some of
      the most interesting up-and-coming young people in our profession, and
      find out about the exciting things they're doing.

      I can't tell you how much I love setting my own schedule. I can count
      on my fingers the number of times I have set an alarm clock since
      July, 1999, when I began this enterprise. When it's 20 below zero, or
      the snow is up to my waist, I don't have to go out unless I'm stupid
      enough to want to. I can hang clean laundry up to dry on any day when
      it's sunny and warm, instead of waiting for a Saturday or Sunday
      that's sunny and warm. I can read during the day, on my sunporch,
      instead of in dim fluorescent light. When daylight dwindles down, and
      you are all going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark, I
      get to enjoy every little bit of daylight we are allowed.

      Of course the other side of setting my own schedule is that I work
      whenever the job needs to be done. That sometimes means working on
      Thanksgiving and Christmas, or writing and researching at 2 in the
      morning or 11 at night. I routinely work on Saturdays and Sundays.

      I can live with that.

      Would I Recommend This Work to Young Librarians?

      Not unless you are extraordinarily confident in your own abilities and
      are willing to take risks and live cheap. Most independent information
      professionals already had a base before they went private; they knew
      who their prospective clients were, and already had a good reputation
      within that group.

      But is it something you might want to aspire to after you've gotten a
      few years of experience? Absolutely. Because the bottom line for me is
      this: it's been a fun ride, and I've had a ball doing it.

      Thanks to all my readers for keeping me company on the ride.

      This article originally appeared in ExLibris #233, Nov. 12, 2004 (
      http://marylaine.com/exlibris/xlib233.html ) Marylaine Block was an
      academic reference librarian for 22 years, and is now a full-time
      writer and speaker. Links to her work are available at
      http://marylaine.com .

      *** Have technology responsibilities in your library? Check out The
      Accidental Systems Librarian! Information and links online at
      http://www.lisjobs.com/tasl/ .

      Alternative Careers
      by Amelia Kassel (amelia@...)

      On January 26 of this year, I began teaching a new course about
      alternative careers (
      http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/courses/287.kassel/287sp05gs.htm ) to graduate
      LIS students. Alternative careers, or, should I perhaps say, non-
      traditional-careers, are not new to me - nor is teaching. I received
      my MLS in 1971 from UCLA, and then applied for and was awarded one of
      four pre-doctoral internships at the UCLA Biomedical Library, funded
      by the National Library of Medicine (NLM) for one year. We rotated
      through all departments of the Biomedical Library, including
      acquisitions, cataloging, reference. We also spent time working with
      the Pacific Southwest Regional Medical Library Service (PSRMLS), which
      offered training and other services to medical libraries in a four-
      state region (California, Hawaii, Arizona, and Nevada), and was also
      funded by NLM.

      Starting Out Alternative

      After I completed the internship, the UCLA Biomedical Library hired
      me. I stayed on for three more years, working half-time in
      interlibrary loans (where I did all the detective work needed to
      verify incorrect citations that came into the library), and half-time
      for PSRMLS. Working as a PSMRLS librarian, my first professional job,
      I consulted for and trained hospital librarians on how to establish
      health care collections for physicians and allied health care
      professionals. I also assisted hospital librarians in writing grant
      applications to receive monies available from NLM for starting or
      expanding hospital libraries. My first library job as a consulting and
      training librarian was an alternative career. Although I was based in
      a library, I did nontraditional work, traveling to libraries in the
      region to provide on-site workshops and consulting.

      In 1974, I moved to Northern California and became an adult reference
      librarian for the Sonoma County Public Library. I worked there until
      1982, when I became the reference coordinator for the North Bay
      Cooperative Library System (NBCLS), housed at the library. NBCLS is a
      multi-type library system that includes public and academic libraries,
      and at that time provided various library services to its 19 member
      libraries. NBC (as we called it) offered services such as
      acquisitions, cataloging, book processing, reference, and continuing
      education for librarians. Again, I found myself working part of the
      time in an alternative (or non-traditional) job. I provided reference
      service to libraries in the region when they could not answer
      questions from their own collections, and also coordinated continuing
      education programs for librarians in the system.

      Striking Out Independently

      In 1981, the forward-looking director of the Sonoma County Public
      Library decided that it was time to use online services, and we
      established an account with Dialog. All adult reference librarians
      were trained by an on-site Dialog trainer. When first introduced to
      Dialog, I was absolutely wowed. It opened up a whole new world of
      knowledge, much like what the Internet has done today. In late 1981, I
      began to consider establishing an information brokerage business based
      on skills I had learned as a librarian - mainly because I was looking
      for new challenges. While attending a conference at the California
      Library Association, I chanced across an exhibitor, Sue Rugge, who was
      demonstrating how her company (Information on Demand) conducted online
      searches for clients. I immediately decided that this was what I would
      like to do.

      At about this time, both Apple and IBM had introduced microcomputers,
      later known as PCs, and the desktop revolution was on its way. You
      could buy a computer for home or office, and this opened up tremendous
      opportunities for home-based businesses. Online databases, on the
      scene since the early seventies from companies like Dialog and
      LexisNexis, were evolving and growing in numbers, with more and more
      full-text information available.

      I needed new skills to start a business. I began taking classes at the
      local community college and attended workshops about business
      planning, marketing, and sales offered by the chamber of commerce and
      individual experts. I continued to hone my online research skills and
      established an information brokerage in 1982 while still working at
      NBCLS. During the early years, I attended breakfast meetings and
      evening business mixers to make new contacts. On my birthday in 1984,
      I gave myself a birthday present by resigning from my job and going
      into business full time.

      Staying the Course

      The focus of my business is online research, and I've worked on
      hundreds of projects for a wide range of clients during the last 20
      years. The majority of my work today is business research - industry,
      market, or company research, plus a multitude of business topics. One
      area of interest is business research for law firms. Various
      applications for the research I conduct include market research,
      competitive intelligence, marketing, new product introductions, and
      mergers and acquisitions, but the sky's the limit. I've also conducted
      medical information searches for consumers based on my medical library
      background, and accepted contracts in which librarians or other
      organizations outsource library and information services such as
      state-of-the art research, library and database organization and
      management, and intranet resource development.

      As one strategy for marketing my business - and to project my
      expertise and credibility - I write, consult, and teach. Teaching is
      of key interest to me. I began giving presentations, workshops, and
      seminars in the eighties, and today travel within the U.S. and
      internationally to conferences to train librarians and business
      searchers on the skills they need to conduct market and competitive
      intelligence research. In the nineties, I taught a full-semester
      course in information brokering for LIS students. Subsequently, I
      developed a one-year educational program via e-mail for those wanting
      to start an information brokering business, which I call the Mentor
      Program. The program focuses on establishing and marketing information
      brokering businesses, and trains new entrants in how to conduct
      commercial database and Internet research time efficiently and cost-

      Both in my research and training business components, I've worked with
      hundreds of organizations and taught people from all over the world,
      almost all virtually, almost all online. Since the start of my career,
      I've been able to put my graduate library education and a range of
      experiences to work to create an alternative career. Today, there is
      nothing I love more than imparting some of my knowledge to others
      embarking on new careers.

      Becoming an IIP

      This year, I began teaching a new distance education course for LIS
      students that focuses on IIPs (independent information professionals).
      Through various assignments and online class discussion, students are
      learning about diverse work environments, responsibilities, and the
      required education and skill sets for various settings. The final
      assignment is to select a hypothetical information-related business
      and prepare a business plan. Required books are:

      * Bates, Mary Ellen. Building and Running a Successful Research
      Business: A Guide for the Independent Information Professional, 2003:

      * Sabroski, Suzanne. Super Searchers Make It On Their Own: Top
      Independent Information Professionals Share Their Secrets for Starting
      and Running a Research Business, 2003: http://www.supersearchers.com

      * One other title of interest from the Super Searcher series (
      http://www.supersearchers.com ), or one of the following: The
      Accidental Library Manager, The Accidental Systems Librarian, or The
      Accidental Webmaster: http://books.infotoday.com/books/index.shtml

      A few weeks into this semester, some students expressed trepidation
      about the idea of starting a business and writing a business plan.
      After one month of discussion and reading Sabroski's Super Searchers'
      Make It On Their Own, however, most have moved from fear to
      enthusiasm. We all know that establishing a business is not for
      everyone, but learning about the world of the independent information
      professional has started to electrify students, while nurturing
      awareness that many IIP skills have direct parallels to other types of

      Amelia Kassel, M.L.S., is president of MarketingBase, a firm
      specializing in market research, competitive intelligence, and
      worldwide business information since 1984. She combines an in-depth
      knowledge of information sources and electronic databases with
      expertise in business and marketing strategies. She is the author of
      Super Searchers on Wall Street: Top Investment Professionals Share
      Their Online Research Strategies, and teaches in the United States and
      abroad. Amelia offers an email-based training program for new
      information professionals and those wishing to expand their services
      at http://www.marketingbase.com/bio3.html .

      *** Advance your library career: http://librarycareers.blogspot.com

      What's Online? Recommended Resources

      "A Day in the Life of a Digital Librarian" by Alana Boyajian

      An account of duties at a 100% distance education university.

      "Job of a Lifetime" C&RL News column
      sion.htm OR http://makeashorterlink.com/?R26B3219A

      Not necessarily alternative careers, but spotlights librarians with
      unusual or interesting positions. Scroll down page for links to
      individual columns.

      "Librarians in the Information Age: Alternative Uses of MLS Degrees"
      by Darwin McGuire

      A discussion of one librarian's hunt for alternative career

      "Places an MLS Can Take You" by Linda K. Wallace

      A 2002 American Libraries article highlighting a number of info pros
      with interesting careers.

      "Shifting Gears: Librarian to Management Analyst" by Pamela Newsome

      A librarian's job rotation experience, showing an alternative way to
      make a career change.

      "Taking the Independent Research Plunge" by Barbara Fritchman Thompson

      Chronicles a librarian's move to independent researcher.

      But I Want To Hold It In My Hand! Print Resources

      Shontz, Priscilla K., ed. The Librarian's Career Guidebook. Lanham,
      MD: Scarecrow Press, 2004. ISBN 0810850346, $40.00. Purchase from

      A follow up to Shontz's 2002 book, Jump Start Your Career in Library
      and Information Science, The Librarian's Career Guidebook is a
      wonderful collection of resources and information for librarians in
      all stages of their work lives, from those just considering
      librarianship as a career to those well into the profession. This
      anthology contains sections on everything from types of librarianship,
      to making yourself shine during interviews, to overcoming stress and
      burnout, to finding ways to grow professionally. Written by working
      librarians, each section is informative and accessible, with an
      excellent list of resources at the end of many chapters. In addition
      to these resources, Shontz also offers a companion web site, LIScareer
      ( http://www/liscareer.com ), that addresses all aspects of librarian
      life. The Librarian's Career Guidebook is a rich reference for anyone
      interested in the library field; I picture it becoming well-worn and
      loved on many bookshelves.

      Penny Scott (plscott@...) is a Reference Librarian and Business
      Liaison at the Gleeson Library/Geschke Center, University of San

      Info Career Trends is copyright Lisjobs.com and Rachel Singer
      Gordon. Permission is granted to forward this newsletter in its
      entirety as long as the contents remain unchanged and this
      copyright message is included. For permission to reprint articles
      in this newsletter, contact the individual authors. If no author is
      listed, contact editor@....

      If you find this newsletter useful, please consider becoming a
      voluntary subscriber for $10(USD)/year. Donations are accepted via
      PayPal: https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rachel%40lisjobs.com
      Or, send a check or money order made out to Rachel Gordon to: PO
      Box 6931, Villa Park, IL 60181.

      To subscribe to Info Career Trends, send an e-mail message to
      imailsrv@.... In the body of the message, type "subscribe
      infocareertrends [your name]"

      To unsubscribe from Info Career Trends, send an e-mail message to
      imailsrv@.... In the body of the message, type "unsubscribe
      infocareertrends [your name]"

      To subscribe to the RSS feed, visit:
      http://www.lisjobs.com/newsletter/rss.xml .

      To advertise in Info Career Trends, see rates and info at
      http://www.lisjobs.com/ratecard.htm#newsletter .

      PLEASE SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS. Also visit the Info Career Trends
      web site at http://www.lisjobs.com/newsletter/ for current
      information, contributor guidelines, online subscription form, and

      Muhammad Rafiq
      National Textile University,
      Sheikhpura Road, Faisalabad-37610
      Ph. 092-41-753743-4 Ext. 150