RE: [plagpk] A new professional group.

  • Ata ur Rehman
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2004

      Dear Colleagues

      Salam

      I would like to share my views about launching of new professional group.  The need for launching a new group can be due to the following reasons:

      1- Already present groups are not fulfilling the needs of modern era

      2- The group is not updating its website and message board

      3- Group has not the sufficient members

      4- Member has not the trust on the team of that group due to any reason

      ...etc.

      In my point of view, there is no such situation among these situations.  Then why we need a "New Professional Group"

      PLAGPK is fulfilling the needs of our professional in a very sophisticated manner.  Its team is playing marvelous job in updating, collecting job information, publishing its newsletter, building the professionals directories, etc.

      So, there is no need of any new group.

      Will someone guide me to prove the need of a new professional group?

      Regard,

      Ata ur Rehman

      Library Officer,

      In-Charge Indexing Section,

      Learning Resource Center (LRC),

      University of Management and Technology (UMT)

      25-Ali Block, New Garden Town ,

      Lahore. 54000

      Ph.    (92-42) 5888727-8, 5863091

      Fax.  (92-42) 5863049

      E-mail: ata.rehman@...

      URL

           UMT: http://www.umt.edu.pk

           LRC: http://lrc.imt.edu.pk

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2004
        RE: A new professional group.

        PLAGPK's objectives are:
        "This group is developed to provide forum to the Pakistani Librarians
        interested in Information Technolgy, Latest trends in Library Science
        and Library Automation." PLAGPK's most emphasize is on information
        technology application in Libraries as well as a forum for
        professional discussion.

        While PLCG (Pakistan Library Cooperation Group) is formulated to
        focus on Library
        Administration, Library Management, Staffing, Library Cooperation,
        etc.

        This group encourages publishing:
        1. YOUR EXPERIENCES AND SUCCESS STORIES.
        2. PROBLEMS THAT PAKISTANI LIBRARIES ARE FACING AND THE SOLUTIONS.
        3. COMMON CONCERNS ABOUT THE LIS PROFESSION IN COUNTRY.
        4. IMMINENT LIBRARY PROJECTS OF THE COUNTRY.
        5. REFERENCE QUERIES AND INTER LIBRARY LOAN REQUESTS.
        6. ANNOUNCEMENT OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL EVENTS, CONFERENCES,
        WORKSHOPS, GRANTS, SCHOLARSHIPS, ETC.
        7. OTHER RELATED INFORMATION.

        I think, PLAGPK do not publish personal success stories, ILL
        requests, etc.
        I have posted a message in March/ April 2004
        "What role OCLC and IFLA can play for the promotion of LIS profession
        and practices in Pakistan?" This question was intended to get the
        useful suggestions for my Fellowship Program of OCLC/ IFLA Early
        Career Development Fellowship. But unfortunately it was not posted. I
        have reposted it but in vain, Why?

        That's the reason I have formulated a group that will post related
        messages and information regardless of any person or organization
        that will be in interest of LIS community.

        Thanks and regards.

        Muhammad Rafiq
        Moderator, Pakistan Library Cooperation Group
        www.groups.yahoo.com/group/libcoop
      • farhat abbas
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004

          Note: forwarded message attached.