Some Hidden Google Tools

  • Naveed Ul Haq Hashmi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2004
      Dear Professiona
      informative article about google.

      I know, I know... you're already an expert Google searcher, and
      you've been using Google since you were in short pants (now, that's
      an expression that dates me, isn't it?). But I'm still going to toss
      out a few tools and resources that you might not have found already.

      If you want all of Google's tools and options conveniently displayed
      on a single screen, try FaganFinder. I like it because I am reminded
      of all the choices I have and settings I can tweak, including
      toggling the Duplicates Filter on or off, using the file format
      search, and setting the number of results per page. It even has handy
      links for typing non-English letters.

      Right now, the only search engines that support the "NEAR" operator
      (search for this word within X words of that word) are Alta Vista and
      MSNBC. But there's a nifty Google hack called Google API Proximity
      Search (GAPS) that lets you look for two words within one, two or
      three words of each other.

      Google has a synonym feature that lets you search for not only the
      word you type in the search box but also for some common synonyms of
      the word. The syntax is ~word, so, for example, if you type ~food in
      the search box, you will also retrieve web pages that have the word
      cooking, nutrition, recipe or restaurant. Sometimes that's a nifty
      tool, but it has its drawbacks. I tried ~aluminum and it not only
      retrieved pages with the British equivalent, aluminium, and words
      with the atomic symbol AL, but also pages that mentioned Weird Al
      Yankovic, Al Jazeera, Al-Anon, and the official page for the state of
      Alabama. Use this tool when you are looking for a broad category of
      concepts, and be prepared for a few unexpected results.

      One of my favorite Google tools is WebQuotes, through which you can
      find out what other people are saying about a particular site. Type
      in a URL, and you'll see how other sites are describing that site.
      It's a great way to suss out fraudulent sites. Try, for example,
      typing in www.gatt.org and see how it's described. (Yes, WebQuotes is
      designed for key words, not URLs, but I really like this
      application.)

      Similar to AllTheWeb's URL Investigator, Google provides some
      background information on a page if you type the URL in the form
      info:www.whatever.xxx. For example, go to Google and type
      info:www.petfinder.org in the search box, and you will see a link to
      the PetFinder site, a link to Google's cached copy of the page,
      similar and related web sites, pages that link to that site, and
      pages that mention "www.petfinder.org"

      We're accustomed to looking at Google's search results 10 sites at a
      time, sorted by estimated relevance. But what if you want to exercise
      your right brain - that's the creative, non-linear side - and view
      the results in a more graphic format? Check out anacubis' "Google-
      enabled visual search". Type in your search terms, right-click on one
      of the resulting hits and see how you can immediately expand the
      results to similar sites, or linked sites.

      For those of us in the US, a handy new tool is Google's "Search by
      Number" feature. Google now recognizes the pattern for Federal
      Express, UPS and USPS tracking numbers; vehicle ID numbers, US patent
      numbers, UPC codes, area codes, and even FCC equipment IDs and FAA
      airplane reservation numbers. For most of these searches, you can
      just type the number into the search box; for patent numbers, you
      have to add the word "patent" to the beginning of the number, and for
      FCC equipment IDs, you need to add the word "fcc" at the beginning.

      Related to this feature is the ability to see the current status of
      any US flight. Type the airline name and the flight number in the
      search box, and you will see a link to the arrival/departure
      information screen for that flight, provided by Travelocity.

      Link : http://www.batesinfo.com/tip.html

      Naveed ul Haq Hashmi
      Librarian
      Sharjah College UAE