State Department Electronic Journal - Venture Capital Meets Hi-Tech, Vol. 13, No. 5, May 2008

  • Muhammad Asif
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008
      Dear Colleagues

      I am pleased to introduce you with State Department's latest electronic Journal "Venture Capital Meets Hi-Tech," Vol. 13, No. 5, May 2008.

      This eJournal explores the phenomenon that drives uncounted Americans — and now citizens of other nations — to create fledgling "start-up" businesses that explore and exploit the latest developments in high technology. It also investigates the closely related "venture capital" phenomenon. New businesses need money, and often lots of it. How investors match their funds to (hopefully) winning ideas is a big part of the start-up story.

      How does one start a high-tech business, and how does one fund it? Joseph Bartlett addresses these questions from the vantage point of a venture capital expert. Amity Shlaes explains the policy decisions that encouraged — and at times discouraged — this venture capital system and the innovation it nourishes. Start-up CEO Cheryl Smith explains the process from the business owner’s perspective, while Ben Casnocha — named by BusinessWeek

      magazine as one of America’s "top young entrepreneurs" — offers words of encouragement to young people to get out there and create businesses of their own. Many high-tech start-ups are founded in that part of northern California we know today as the Silicon Valley. Ashlee Vance explains why. And Richard Florida examines one social consequence of the high-tech revolution: the emergence of a "creative class" that prizes cultural diversity and social tolerance.

      Many important start-ups have been founded by immigrant entrepreneurs who arrive in the United States from every corner of the globe. Throughout this eJournal, we profile a number of them.

      Venture capitalist Vinod Dham, also known as the father of the Pentium processor, once memorably said: "Living in the Silicon Valley, if you do not do a start-up, then something is wrong with you." That puts the matter a bit starkly, but Dham does capture the essential drive of millions — Americans and others — who even now are hard at work, if only in the garages of their minds.

      You can read this journal online at http://www.america.gov/publications/ejournalusa/0508.html or download a copy for your offline usage.

      Please feel free to contact me if you would like to have a print copy of the journal for your institutional usage.

      --
      Muhammad Asif
      Director IRC