ACU university library Survey (5 days left)

  • Mohammad Farooq
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2008
      Dear Coleague
      aoa
      This is to remind you that the ACU library survey can be completed by following the link below: you can find complete mail at the end of this message. please note, 5 days left only

      http://snaponline.snapsurveys.com/surveylogin.asp?k=120706144896.
      Alternatively, PDF copies can be downloaded from www.acu.ac.uk/libraries/survey/.
      Responses to the survey will form the basis of a report to Vice Chancellors from across the world when they meet at the ACU’s Conference of Executive Heads in November. This is a good opportunity to put library issues on the agenda, so please do take the time to respond – or forward this message to the appropriate colleague.

      For any other queries please email mufarooq@...  or  libraries@....

      With best wishes

      Muhammad Farooq
      Librarian
      Riphah International University
      I-14, Near Haj Complex Islamabad Pakistan
      Member Network Steering Group
      The Association of Commonwealth Universities
      Associate Member CILIP - UK
      Professional Member ACM - USA
      Tel  + 92-51-111-510-511
      cell  + 92-333-5110898
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2008
        Dear Rafiq

        Your concern on this serious issue is valid and I believe that all
        group members should participate in the discussion and give their
        opinion.

        There is no doubt that the professionals who participated in the
        meeting are  committed professionals, but your point of view is
        quite valid that  senior professionals representing Public Sector
        Universities must have participated in the meeting. Even now there
        should be no decision without consent of senior library professionals
        in major public sector universities

        As far as Virtua is concerned, we all know that International
        Islamic University Islamabad refused to avail the sanctioned  matching
        grant of 4 million by HEC for purchase of Virtua and opted Koha ILS.
        We have learnt that the main reason behind IIUI 's decision was  the
        licensing fee of Virtua, that was  about Rs 1 million per annum. And
        without paying annual licensing cost no organization will be able to
        use that software.

        Virtua's price fluctuates from 2.5 Million to 13 million (LUMS, FCCU,
        Bannu Medical College (With a few thousand books), National Library of
        Pakistan with additional average annual licensing fee minimum Rs
        800,000.

        We can see the National Library of Pakistan case study, and can
        conclude that mere purchase of costly ILS cannot guarantee the timely
        implementation and smooth functioning of library system. In case of
        NLP, Virtua ILS was purchased in June 24, 2006
        http://www.vtls.com/news/press_releases/2006/15.shtml and its Virtua Web OPAC
        is yet to  be launched.

        My humble suggestion is that Open source ILS can be a viable and suitable for Pakistani Libraries. Koha ILS is being used by Legislative Assemblies of Pakistan IRCs,
        International Islamic University Islamabad and University of Gujrat, which
        fulfills the maximum requirements of small to large libraries. That is
        the reason why Pakistan Library Automation Group has also launched its
        customized PakLAG Koha tailored keeping in view the local needs.

        Best regards

        Muhammad Ajmal Khan
        Librarian
        National University of Computer and emerging Sciences
        B-Block Faisal Town, Lahore-4700, Pakistan
        Ph:92-42-5167804
        Ph:92-42-111128128 Ext. 210
        Fax#:92-42-5165232
        ajmal.khan@...

        On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Muhammad Rafiq <rafiqlibrarian@...> wrote:

        Dear Professionals,
        HEC is intended to purchase and provide a common library software to public sector universities in Pakistan. A two days meeting (from yesterday) is in process at HEC.  Virtua is on the table.
        As I have informed that five persons from library professionals are participating in this meeting. Although they are committed professional I believe, yet the joke is that no one is from Public Sector University that are real stakeholders in this decision. I'm a little bit confused about how to percept HEC intention! I have also come to know that Virtua is the only one choice that they are evaluating. Why not other cheap software that are in use in other developing countries?
        Hope other professionals will comment on my message.

        Muhammad Rafiq
        Manager Information Resource Center,
        Head Electronic Resources & Services Division,
        Central Library, International Islamic University,
        Sector H-10, Islamabad - 44000 [PAKISTAN].
        Office: +92-51-9019386 Cell. +92-321-7836131
        Web: www.iiu.edu.pk
        In campus (IIU) calling: 386