Help

  • Shoukat Mughal
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 18, 2003
      Dear Colleagues,

      Can any body in Islamabad/Rawalpindi help me to locate the below mentioned book:-

      Title:       Queen Victoria's Enemies (2)
      Author:    Ian Knight

      Thank you and best wishes.

      Shoukat Mughal
      UNESCO-Islamabad
      Tel: 2800080, 2800083, 280084
    • atif ramooz
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010
        Dear All.
        AOA,
              i want a artical (Difference between Digital LIbrary & Automated Library) Plz Help me

        Regards
        Atif

      • Asghar Bhatti
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010
          Mr. Atif Ramooz,
          How are you!
          The difference between a digital library and an automated library is that
          Digital library stands for collection of books in digitized form including collection of your library books as well as collection of remote books outside the library which are accessible through internet and intranet networks.
          But automated libary stands for the only collection of your libary books.Accessible only in your libary network.
          Sincerly yours
          M. Asghar

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 21, 2010

            AsSalam-0-Alikum

            Generally speaking, in an "automated library" the collections are still in print, but the processes for searching, retrieving, and maintaining the collection have been automated to some degree. Any library with a computerized card catalog is technically "automated," although I personally would reserve this designation for a library that has automated its book retrieval and/or its checkin/checkout procedures. A good example (besides our new Mansueto Library) would be the Jurong Regional Library in Singapore, which has self-service borrower registration, payment, account inquirity, and bookdrop services.

            In contrast, in a "digital library" the collections themselves are digital objects, either print/analog materials that have been scanned/digitized, or "born digital" documents such as Microsoft Word files and e-mail messages. Managers of a digital library often face different challenges than their counterparts in print-based libraries -- for example, while all librarians are concerned with preservation, digital librarians in particular must worry not only about the physical object degrading (e.g., CD-ROM, floppy disk, tape) but also with a file format becoming obsolete: even if a floppy disk is in pristine condition, for instance, its files may be from a word processing program no longer supported.

            Please remember in you prayers
            Shaheed Khurshid Akhtar Ansari

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 21, 2012
              Assalamoalaikum

              Could anybody please help me regarding data  filtering, counting and sorting in any of the 3 tools, EXCEL or ACCESS or SPSS.

              I have a following data table, for example:

              Source data

              Date

              Title

              Use

              Minutes

              User

              Computer

              Read

              1304

              Bakr

              Math

              Browse

              9

              Ali

              Biology

              Browse

              1

              Bakr

              Chemistry

              Read

              1250

              Zaid

              Chemistry

              Browse

              3

              Zaid

              Math

              Read

              874

              Ali

              Physics

              Browse

              9

              Zaid

              Computer

              Browse

              2

              Bakr

              Math

              Browse

              9

              Ali

              Physics

              Read

              55

              Zaid

              Biology

              Read

              10

              Bakr

              Math

              Read

              412

              Ali

              Math

              Browse

              9

              Ali

              The required output is as under:

              User

              Frequency/

              Occurrences / # of Records

              Minimum Minutes

              Maximum Minutes

              Total Minutes

              Titles Browsed

              Titles Read

              # of Unique Titles

              # of Unique Sessions / Dates

              Ali

              5

              9

              874

              1313

              3

              2

              1

              3

              Bakr

              4

              1

              1304

              1317

              2

              2

              2

              1

              Zaid

              4

              3

              1250

              1317

              2

              2

              2

              2

              I have more than 135,000 records of the same type, hence it is not possible to do the required job manually. I have calculated the frequency and total minutes in ACCESS but couldn't do the other tasks. Please advise even if the required task can be done in modules, not once for all. I have tried DCount (*) or Count DISTINCT functions in ACCESS to calculate # of unique titles for each user but no success.

              Your help would be acknowledged and appreciated.

              Regards,
              Pervaiz Ahmad
              PhD candidate in Information Science
              ECU, WA