new trend in digital library

  • peace786pk <peace786pk@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2003
      Dear Sir

      I just joined MCS. I hope you will find the time for me from your
      precious time.
      It would be appreciated that if you advise me the followings
      whioch area of digital librray need more attention or waiting for
      researcher.

      When compare (your) digital library, which type of lack-ness you
      feel? and which steps you are taking to remove them.
      Which are the main problems facing Digital Libraries?
      is ther any remedial of those problems?
      What are the current trends in Digital Library?

      I know my request is not directly relate to your work,
      but I am in confidence you can help/advise me a lot.

      Thanks
      Shabnum Saba
    • asyed@worldbank.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2003
        Ms. Shabnum Saba,

        I appreciate your interest in a very interesting and emerging area of Library &
        Information Sciences. There are many areas of Digital Libraries which you can
        focus on, and I would like you to concentrate on reading and learn much about it
        before giving it a run or taking any project. This is a very rapidly changing
        area of technology in terms of hardware, software, architecture and protocols.

        Please find below some useful website for your studies:

        I hope it works for you. Please feel free to contact me or write to the group if
        you need any assistance from us.

        Best regards,

        Abdul Salam

        Electronic Resources Librarian
        The World Bank, Islamabad
        E-mail: ASyed@...
        'The World Bank in Pakistan' web site: http://www.worldbank.org.pk

        Digital Library Magazine
        http://www.dlib.org/

        Digital Libraries: Resources and Projects
        http://www.ifla.org/II/diglib.htm

        Definition and Purposes of a Digital Library
        http://www.ifla.org/documents/libraries/net/arl-dlib.txt

        Digital Library Source Book
        http://fox.cs.vt.edu/DLSB.html

        Rethinking Libraries in the Information Age: Lessons Learned with Five Digital
        Library Projects
        http://fox.cs.vt.edu/talks/UNC96/

        Digital Libraries: The Grand Challenges
        http://www.ifla.org/documents/libraries/net/garrett.txt

        Digital Libraries: Myths and Challenges
        http://www.ifla.org/IV/ifla62/62-kuny.pdf

        Digital Library Research Program
        http://lhncbc.nlm.nih.gov/dlb/

        A Glossary of Digital Library Standards, Protocols and Formats
        http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/9/1/p1-253-e.html

        The Making of America II Testbed Project: A Digital Library Service Model
        http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub87/contents.html

        The Digital Library Initiatives Vision Report
        http://www.lib.duke.edu/dli/report/dli_report.htm

        Key Concepts in the Architecture of the Digital Library
        http://www.dlib.org/dlib/July95/07arms.html

        Digital Library Research & Development: SunSITE Hosted Projects
        http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/R+D/

        A Framework for Distributed Digital Object Services
        http://www.cnri.reston.va.us/home/cstr/arch/k-w.html

        "peace786pk
        <peace786pk@yaho To: Plagpk@...
        o.com>" cc:
        <peace786pk Subject: [plagpk] new trend in digital library

        02/27/2003 08:24
        PM