Colon Classification System. an Introduction
- Dear Professional:
An Introduction to Colon Classification;Colon classification (CC) is a system of library classification developed by S. R. Ranganathan. It was the first ever faceted (or analytico-synthetic) classification. It is especially used in libraries in India.Its name "Colon classification" comes from the use of colons to separate facets in class numbers. However, many other classification schemes, some of which are completely unrelated, also use colons and other punctuation in various functions. They should not be confused with Colon classification.As an example, the subject "research in the cure of tuberculosis of lungs by x-ray conducted in India in 1950" results in a call numberL,45;421:6;253:f.44'N5The components of this call number representMedicine, Lungs; Tuberculosis: Treatment; X-ray: Research.India1950
OrganizationThe Colon Classification uses 42 main classes that are combined with other letters, numbers and marks in a manner reminiscent of the Library of Congress Classification to sort a publication.
FacetsCC uses five primary categories, or facets to further specify the sorting of a publication collectively called ''., [[Personality]]; [[Matter]] or property: [[Energy]]. [[Space]]' [[Time]]
ClassesThe following are the main classes of CC, with some subclasses, the main method used to sort the subclass using the PMEST scheme and examples showing application of PMEST.A1 Universe of Knowledge3B1 ArithmeticB13B2 AlgebraB23B25 Higher AlgebraB3 AnalysisB33 Differential Equations [equation] , [degree] , [order] : [problem]B331,1,2:1 Numerical solutions (:1) of ordered (331) linear (,1) second order (,2) differential equationsB37 Real VariablesB38 Complex VariablesB4 Other MethodsB6 GeometryB7 MechanicsB8 Physico-MathematicsB9 Astronomical MathematicsC PhysicsC1 Fundamentals of PhysicsC2 Properties of MatterC3 SoundC4 HeatC6 ElectricityC7 MagnetismC8 Cosmic HypothesisFacets:1 General Chemistry:2 Physical Chemistry:3 Analytical Chemistry:33 Qualitative Chemistry:34 Quantitative Chemistry:35 Volumetric Chemistry:4 Synthetic Chemistry:5 Extraction ChemistryE1 Inorganic ChemistryE10 Group 0E11 Group 1E110 HydrogenE1109 LithiumE111 SodiumE2 Hydroxl (Base)E3 AcidE4 SaltE5 Organic SubstanceG BiologyH GeologyH1 MineralogyH2 PetrologyH3 Structural GeologyH4 Dynamic GeologyH5 StratigraphyH6 PaleontologyH8 Cosmic HypothesisHX MiningI BotanyFacets:1 Soil:3 Propagation:4 Disease:5 Development:6 Breeding:7 Harvest:91 Nomenclature:92 Morphology:93 Physiology:95 EcologyMaterial facets,2 Bulb,3 Root,4 Stem,5 Leaf,6 Flower,7 Fruit,8 Seed,97 Whole PlantJ1 HorticultureJ2 FeedJ3 FoodJ4 StimulantJ5 OilJ6 DrugJ7 FabricJ8 DyeK Zoology (same facet schedule as I Botany)KZ Animal Husbandry (same facet schedule as I Botany)L Medicine [organ]:[problem],[cause]:[handling]LZ3 Pharmacology [substance].[action],[organ]LZ5 PharmacopoeiaM7 Textiles [material]:[work]Ð Spiritual experience and mysticism [religion],[entity]:[problem]NA Architecture [style] , [utility] , [part] : [technique]ND Sculpture [style] , [figure] ; [material] : [technique]NN EngravingNQ Painting [style] , [figure] ; [material] : [technique]NR Music [style] , [music] ; [instrument] : [technique]Q ReligionV HistoryZ Law
ExampleThe most commonly cited example of the Colon Classification is the classification for:
- "Research in the cure of the tuberculosis of lungs by x-ray conducted in India in 1950s":
- Main classification is Medicine
- Within Medicine, the Lungs are the main concern
- (Medicine, Lungs)
- The property of the Lungs is that they are afflicted with Tuberculosis
- (Medicine, Lungs; Tuberculosis)
- The Tuberculosis is being performed (:) on, that is the intent is to cure (Treatment)
- (Medicine, Lungs; Tuberculosis:Treatment)
- The matter that we are treating the Tuberculosis with are X-Rays
- And this discussion of treatment is regarding the Research phase
- (Medicine, Lungs; Tuberculosis: Treatment; X-ray: Research)
- This Research is performed within a geographical space (.) namely India
- (Medicine, Lungs; Tuberculosis: Treatment; X-ray: Research.India)
- During the time (') of 1950
- (Medicine, Lungs; Tuberculosis: Treatment; X-ray: Research.India1950)
- And translating into the codes listed for each subject and facet the classification becomes
Library of Congress Office.
Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?
Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.